Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Wet floor boards???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet floor boards???

My car smelled like gym socks the other day so I check the carpet to see if it was wet and it was soak on the front driver side. I then checked the rear seat and come to find out that the back seat carpet is also wet. Passenger side front and back are both dry. Im going to pull the carpet back and try to find any leaks I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. I searched around and could only find one X that had a problem like this but it was coming in from the trunk and my trunk is dry.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

I had a this problem in my Miata a few times. Would happen when I would park on a hill when it was raining hard. The heavy flow of water would hit my tires closest to the curb and that would create a constant splash of water hitting the undercarriage of the car.
Had a few mornings where the driver side floor was soaked!
Not sure if this is whats happening to you but I hope you find the problem soon! You dont want mold in your car...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Two questions:
1. do you park outdoors year-round?
2. do you have a sunroof?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

No sunroof and I park outside on my level driveway. If it was coming from the ceiling I would be able to see it coming in. It seems like its a big leak cause I went out and suck out a lot of water with a shop vac. The whole driver side was wet including under my seat. Im gonna keep an eye on it cas its never happened before and Ive had the car for over a year.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Possibly faulty weather seals or leaks around the windows/doors?
Old Dec 19, 2011, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Well, it's cold in Ohio this time of year so it's probably not coming from a clogged AC drain.

There are drain holes in the bottom of each door. If they clog up water can fill up and drain into the door under the door cards.

Did you run any wires or vacuum hose through the firewall? It might be getting in that way.

Have you had any glass replaced?

Your best bet is, after the car is all dried out, to get someone with a hose to run water over a section of the car at a time to narrow down where it might be getting in while you sit inside.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Front windshield defogger/defroster setting still uses the a/c system to dry the air coming out of the vents, but it's unlikely you'd have enough condensation to soak the front AND the rear. I'd look toward mouldings/seals/runchannels that sort of thing.

Like splatt said, sit inside and have someone spray it with a hose, it'll be more helpful to remove the pillar trim and door sill trim before testing this so it's easier to see the water. Hell, after removing the trim, you may be able to find water trail remnants that give away where the water was coming from before you even have to spray it again.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^all good advice - i would add 'when friend is spraying' start at the bottom of the door and work UP (not top down) which can mislead you where the water is coming in.

I 'assume' you have not taken it to the dealership because it is out of warranty...

Do you have wind noise on the highway? (louder on the d/s versus p/s)
Can you feel air flowing when on the highway?
With the hood open and your head looking up under the dash - do you see 'light'?

Inspect underneath for new holes or grommets torn.

Since this is the d/s i think we can rule out the heater core.

Next step - (while the trim is off) take her to a high pressure / touchless carwash and sit inside and watch for water intrusion.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

i had this problem in my 2011 RA and how i fixed it there were 2 holes up under the top left in the front right by my fire wall and i used window caulking n let it sit in my car for a day make sure its like 40deg out n no rain for the next few days and it fixed it for me bec my water in my car i had was about a half inch of standing water it only did it one time n i found it n fixed it now my car is nice n dry everyday rain or shine lol
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Tore apart the car pulled back the carpet in front and rear got everything as dry as I could. I took out the back seat and could see a little bit of water there also so Im pretty sure its the weather strippping around the driver side back door. I could follow moisture from above the driver side back seat the whole way down to the floor. I also put some permatex around the other gourments exposed when I had the carpet out and back seat out. It looks like it shrunk a little so I put some permatex behind the weather stripping. I drove home from the garage I did it at and around town tonight a little while it was raining and its good so far. I think it got soaked when I took it through the automatic car wash the other day. Thanks for the help hopefully I fixed the problem.