Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Radar with Blendmount

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011 | 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by endlesss
How did you secure it to the rear view mirror?
What I did was, I put the radar on the top of the rear view mirror... With the suction cup thing still attached, I bent the metal and kind of made it so the radar was forced on the rear view mirror. The suction cups didn't stick to the windsheild (because of the black dots) but because I bent the metal holder, it kind of got jammed and somewhat stuck ontop of the mirror. Like if you were to put it up there, then pull down on the front of it, it wouldn't fall forward, or backward. Take the radar out off of the mirror and get little circles of Velcro and stick the Velcro on the underside of the radar. (have the Velcro stuck with both sides, the little hooks and the soft side). Stick the whole thing back where you had it and push slightly down on the radar so the Velcro stick to the mirror. I'll show picture when I can. I know this is very vague and not really helpful. But I'll show some pics of what I did. Just gotta find my old cobra lol
Old Dec 28, 2011 | 08:14 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart909
I had my old one up there. I kinda propped it ontop of the rear view mirror and ran the cable above the sun visor then tucked it in the A-frame between the windsheild and the body of car. Is that what you did?
It's actually to the left and below the RVM. Imagine the lower left corner of the RVM being next to the right side of the V1.
Old Dec 28, 2011 | 08:15 PM
xi
Evolved Member

I don't think they do. I just ordered the 12 foot long cable so I can tuck It into the cars "A" frame on the windsheild so I can then connect it to the Blendmount when I order it. But when I was on their website I didn't see anything about a remote display. But i also may be misunderstanding what you are saying. If you can describe more what a remote display is. Haha
That's exactly what I did to mine too. Was too lazy to hardwire it in anywhere.
Old Dec 28, 2011 | 08:56 PM

I also don't want to have it completely hardwired because idk if I even want to keep this radar in the future. You never know, tomorrow they can come out with a brand new radar that is incredible.

And "XI" I was thinking of that too. The manufacturers of RD do say the higher the radar the better. Because it can shoot its laser above traffic and obstructions, and can also shoot out the back window for read detection.
Old Dec 28, 2011 | 09:07 PM

Yea I would put it up there Addikt, but on my '10 Ralliart the little black dots go much farther down on the windsheild. And the suction cups won't stick to it. I somehow got my old cobra to sit ontop of the rear view mirror, and had some velcro to hold it in place, but I felt the little black dots where obstructing the laser from the radar and not giving me accurate and far enough away detection.
Yeah it took awhile to get the suction cups to somewhat stick to the black dots, but it sits on top of the rear view mirror so i stuck some double sided 3m tape on the bottom of the radar and it seems to hold good. As far as the black dots blocking the radar, I'm not too sure about that but it seems to be working good and giving me enough warning to I can slow down before I see the cop.
Old Dec 29, 2011 | 11:19 AM

Maybe it was my old Cobta just being stupid. It's was a really old one. Well I already bought the 12ft cable, in a couple days I'll order the Blendmount. We'll see how all this works out. And I'm still gonna post those pics about the way I had my cobra setup.
Old Dec 29, 2011 | 08:42 PM
xi
Evolved Member

I also don't want to have it completely hardwired because idk if I even want to keep this radar in the future. You never know, tomorrow they can come out with a brand new radar that is incredible.
Knowing Mike Valentine, not any time soon lol.
Old Dec 29, 2011 | 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by xi
Knowing Mike Valentine, not any time soon lol.
What do you mean? That Valentine already has the best and is going to keep their current model for a long time?
Old Dec 29, 2011 | 11:12 PM

There are no new technologies on the horizon for Speed Trapping. Learn to mount it high and then learn to use other cars to get nailed before you. Pretty simple.
Old Dec 30, 2011 | 09:54 PM
xi
Evolved Member

What do you mean? That Valentine already has the best and is going to keep their current model for a long time?
There's a long running thing on radardetectorforums that Mike took nearly forever to come out with something totally new and it turned out to be some kinda expensive gadget that hooks up to the OBD-II and mutes the unit below a certain speed.

My V1 works really well, I love the arrows (which the patent expired on) but it doesn't do freq ID, it isn't programmable, and it doesn't have GPS.
Old Jan 5, 2012 | 01:58 PM

Just got my Blendmount today. Pretty awesome! I'll post pics of my set up probably tomorrow.

Also, the way I have the cable hidden is the same way I had my old Cobra. So I'll show how my setup was with that too. (I'll show it with my Beltronics)
Old Jan 25, 2012 | 11:47 AM

Sorry for LONG wait

Sorry for the extremly long wait. I have been really busy lately. But i finally got my Blendmount and man do I love it! It works fantastic and install was somewhat easy (it took me and my friend like 20min to attach it). Here are some pics of what it looks like.

I tucked the cable up into where the windshield meets the interior of the car. Kepted it tucked in all the way to the left "A" frame of the car, tucked it in there, ran it all the way down, let it come out, then put all the excess into the little fuse box thing (ignore the other cables. i have a satelite radio and i tuck the extra cables in there too). Next i ran the cable behind the steering wheel then into the ciggerette outlet.

Its the best setup i can do without hardwiring it to car. I cant afford a new rearview mirror to plug the radar directly into that, so this is the best I can do. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Attached Thumbnails Radar with Blendmount-photo-1.jpg   Radar with Blendmount-photo-3.jpg   Radar with Blendmount-photo-4.jpg   Radar with Blendmount-photo-5.jpg   Radar with Blendmount-photo-6.jpg  

Old Feb 3, 2012 | 06:30 PM

Hey guys Radar placement is extremely important. Mounting your radars with the Blendmount isn't a very smart idea. You payed for a radar detector with both front are rear detection and LIDAR - Laser band. When cops shoot at your car with LIDAR they will aim for you license plate. You want your Radar detector about 7" above your dash. You will get the best protection. You can also just hard wire your radar detector through the slot right between the left and right front defroster. The square cut out just pulls out.
Old Feb 3, 2012 | 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

When they shoot at your car its too late. As LIDAR is instant ON. What you want is to detect the scattered left-overs of the car in front of you. As the maker of Valentine recomends and uses a Blendmount on his vehicle. As it provides the most unobstructed view of the road.
Old Feb 5, 2012 | 06:15 AM

That's what I though, it's high enough that there are no obstructions, like other cars in front of me because it somewhat goes over they other car, and it's hight enough that the radar can shoot out the back window for rear detection. I have noticed every since I got my Blendmount, when I pass a cop (when he is pulled over to the side of the road facing the same way I am going) my radar stays on for much longer then it use to when down ony windsheild.

Quick Reply: Radar with Blendmount