Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic converter

So I just went on a trip and it was super snowy (heavy, wet snow). The only mods I have are a K&N, a full turboback exhaust and a Cobb AP.

I was using 94 octane (always do) and driving in the economy map at the time. After about 300 km in the middle of buck nowhere, my check engine light comes on. I pulled over and plugged in my Cobb and 2 codes appeared. One said "Catalytic coverter - system below threshold" (something like that). Anways I reflashed to Stage 2 and the codes and check engine light went away and it runs fine. This happened twice on the trip and I am just wondering if anyone has any insight. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's just recognizing that your car is missing its cat. Probably something along the lines of: "Bank 1 Catalyst Below Threshold" right?

More than likely, something to do with the combination of the fuel economy map and steady-state driving setting off the monitoring conditions more frequently so the car sees that there's no cat. Perhaps the stage 2 map has the cat code delete installed, or some other accommodation for a turboback, because of its performance-like nature? I'm not super familiar with the COBB system, but if I had to take a guess, it'd be something along those lines.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:14 AM
Evolving Member

What're your mods? You are required to have a HFC for Cobb Stage II.

I continually throw a code for my resonated test pipe, P2096 IIRC.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by p1llar
What're your mods? You are required to have a HFC for Cobb Stage II.

I continually throw a code for my resonated test pipe, P2096 IIRC.

I have a Cobb DP and HFC and a UR catback. I think Chi-Town's explanation makes sense. There are no problems at all in Stage 2 and it seems to run fine with the economy map. It is a very uneasy feeling when the check engine light comes on in the middle of nowhere though. Thanks guys.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by petro
I have a Cobb DP and HFC and a UR catback. I think Chi-Town's explanation makes sense. There are no problems at all in Stage 2 and it seems to run fine with the economy map. It is a very uneasy feeling when the check engine light comes on in the middle of nowhere though. Thanks guys.
What code are you throwing?

I wouldn't be concerned.

I put in my test pipe and went about 3 months without a CEL. Now I get one every week or so, same code.