Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Disable ABS/ASC.... new to Mitsubishi

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Disable ABS/ASC.... new to Mitsubishi

Hello all, I'm thinking about buying an 09+ Ralliart - love the looks, the feel, and even that funky transmission.... but before I do there is one thing I must know that I haven't been able to try on test drives for obvious reasons.... If you pull the ABS or ASC fuse, will it have any other effect than killing those 2 systems? In my STI it's quite easy, just pull the ABS and its gone with no other ill effects. Is it the same on the RA?

My main concern is that it will mess with the transmission, AWD system, or other vital components. I know you can turn off ASC with the button, but I find that rather annoying..... I would sooner rig a controller that will turn that off for me every time I power on the car.

So, has anyone tried this? Or is willing to try it? It's pretty much a deal breaker for me if I have to keep ABS/ASC.

(Please no comments about why would I do this, it's a safety system, ect)

A few other questions I have are,:

Is there any way to keep the clutch released while in gear with the TC-SST? Some kind of launch control perhaps, or any way to keep the RPMs higher before engagement?

Is it possible to push start a RA? Or move it by engaging the starter (in the event of an engine failure, ect)

I've been driving Subaru for a long time, with normal manual transmissions, and know all their tricks, but I've always liked the Lancers.... just need to know more before I buy one.

Thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't possible do this; I know what you mean about being able to pull the fure for Subie's, but for Mitsu ASC/ABS is tied in to everything AWD related (wheel speed, etc). Not a good idea; but there is a launch technique used by those who choose do so. ASC can be turned off, ABS I'm not sure (but doubt it).
Old Jan 2, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
ASC can be turned off at the push of a button.

ABS, on the other hand, is always on. However, I've spent time belting around track and skidpan, and it's quite possible to threshold brake - ABS only kicks in if you mess up and ask too much of the tyres. It works pretty much as I'd want it to.

My last vehicle was driven on track for years. It had no ABS, no traction/stability stuff... so I probably get where you're coming from.

It's much harder to get good pedal feel on the RA, I'll say that much.

Rich
Old Jan 2, 2012, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I really dislike electronic nannies, and especially in the snowy conditions around here, they really hamper your ability to control the car as you, the driver, see fit. Threshold braking is great on pavement, not so much in snow. Just to test what I predicted, I actually conducted a few tests with my car in some snow using full pressure ABS, threshold braked ABS, threshold braked no ABS, and full lock no ABS - as you would expect, each situation resulted in a progressively shorter stopping distance.

What launch technique are you speaking of?

So has anyone actually tried to pull the fuse and see what happens?

Last edited by Hilux; Jan 2, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you pull anything ABS related, it'll take down ASC but it'll also default the AWC to tarmac mode.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 09:27 PM

Are you sure about that? I'd be quite fine with only tarmac mode.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:10 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hilux
Are you sure about that? I'd be quite fine with only tarmac mode.
I had a passenger side ABS sensor go out. It took out the ASC, ABS (obviously), and the AWC got stuck on tarmac.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:14 PM

Ahh, excellent. Thank you very much (and sorry for your loss).
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:29 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Ahh, excellent. Thank you very much (and sorry for your loss).
Ya, no probs. It went out just as I was 150 miles over my bumper-bumper warranty. My aftermarket extended warranty took care of it!
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Is there any way to keep the clutch released while in gear with the TC-SST? Some kind of launch control perhaps, or any way to keep the RPMs higher before engagement?

2. Is it possible to push start a RA? Or move it by engaging the starter (in the event of an engine failure, ect)

Thanks!
1. People are tinkering all the time on here, however the only lauch control that I have heard of for an RA was when one guy replaced his RA tranny with a Evo X MR tranny(as they have launch control). There basicly the same (Im no wizard but from what I can tell) except the TCU has diff programing and some of the guru's here are close to crackin it... some might have already. There are good launch techniques people have discovered, just use the search button.

2. Not from what I know and have never heard anyone on here tryin it. I believe clutches are always disconnected until power is applied thru engine... as pushin would be wheel > to engine... prob not.

Depending on what you want to do with the RA this is a good start. WARNING VERY LONG THREAD lol

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...t-basemap.html

Cheers
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as the ASC is turned off i have never had a problem with the ABS being a problem. I can brake hard with no shuttering of the stupid ABS. Leave the ASC and its a nightmare as to how the car handles when trying to slide.
Good luck with the sale, and hope you can join our community as it looks like your willing to experiment with the car some.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 08:36 AM

Oh for sure, If I get one, I will be testing it all