Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak

I started my car up this morning and started to drive and noticed a good amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and check underneath and there was oil running through the exhaust.

Any ideas on how this could happen? Maybe theres a carbon build up in the turbo, or back pressure somehow?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Check to make sure the drain plug is tightened.

Last edited by sstevojr; Jan 18, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Did you get an oil change recently? If so did they change the washer?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I did get an oil change recently, and I'm not sure if they changed the washer. I also noticed that there was oil that came out of my BOV.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RalliAaron
Yeah I did get an oil change recently, and I'm not sure if they changed the washer. I also noticed that there was oil that came out of my BOV.
Check the fluid level it might be to high. Alot of people dont change the washer and most dont have an issue but some cant be reused and leak oil.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliAaron
I started my car up this morning and started to drive and noticed a good amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust, and check underneath and there was oil running through the exhaust.
When you say oil running through the exhaust, do you mean along the exhaust piping on the outside or coming out of the exhaust tips?

In cooler weather white condensation is normal and evaporates within a few feet of the exhaust. Did your "smoke" do this or did it hang in the air and have a strong odor?

If you're seeing oil on the outside check the drain plug, the filter and the oil cap.

If you have oil all over the place it could be that your oil change ended with the engine being over-filled. This will force oil out of all sorts of places and make quite a mess. Did you check the oil level?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, there's oil draining from the exhaust tip. An oil spot appeared where my down pipe meets the cat. Ill check all the other stuff when I get off.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:18 AM

Check your oil level, if you have more oil than what it need (5quarts) you will start seen oil coming out of every hole in the engine specially from the dip stick.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
If it's coming out of the exhaust the likely scenarios are:

1. Oil overfilled causing it to be pushed out through seals. This may have permanently damaged your seals in your engine and/or turbo.

2. Turbo failure. This results in oil coming out of the cartridge and into the exhaust

3. Engine failure. Excessive blowby or valve seal failures can result in excess oil entering the exhaust.

I would check that oil level right away and if it is overfull you'll need to be filing a claim with the oil change place. Good luck with everything. Keep us updated.

CSB:
I once pulled over to help a girl with her Cabriolet. She saw there was no oil on the dipstick so she pulled out the manual to see what to do. The manual said the car takes 4qts of oil and since there was none on the dipstick she wrongly assumed that the car was out of oil She added 4qts to the two that were still in the engine and got about 10 miles before the smokescreen started. There was oil coming out of the filter housing, the valve cover, the intake box, and the exhaust. It was quite a mess.