Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Not shifting gears properly/blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not shifting gears properly/blowing cold air

Experiencing a couple odd things with my 09 RA;

*Blowing cold air ...
If I am at a stop light, heat is on full temp and full fan speed, it will blow cold air until my car is in motion.
I realize where I live, it gets ridiculously cold out, but I have never experienced this in previous vehicles even in my 86 VW Jetta

*Not shifting gears properly
This has happened a couple times in the last couple of weeks.
While in drive with the normal setting on a couple times in the last couple weeks when driving my car will rev as high as possible and will not shift. When I flick it over to manual give the shifter a click then flick it back over to 'drive' it will then continue to shift normally. The issue here, is that I can't just produce the issue because it is inconsistent.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

TIA
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanamaker
Experiencing a couple odd things with my 09 RA;

*Blowing cold air ...
If I am at a stop light, heat is on full temp and full fan speed, it will blow cold air until my car is in motion.
I realize where I live, it gets ridiculously cold out, but I have never experienced this in previous vehicles even in my 86 VW Jetta

*Not shifting gears properly
This has happened a couple times in the last couple of weeks.
While in drive with the normal setting on a couple times in the last couple weeks when driving my car will rev as high as possible and will not shift. When I flick it over to manual give the shifter a click then flick it back over to 'drive' it will then continue to shift normally. The issue here, is that I can't just produce the issue because it is inconsistent.

Can anyone shed some light on these issues?

TIA
For the cold air issue, I'd have the coolant system checked for an air lock (an air bubble in one of the coolant passages). We've seen a couple of them here. The expansion and contraction of the air bubble due to heat will create intermittent problems with the heating, and because the air is displacing coolant, your reservoir will appear full.

The shifting issue is something else, however. We'll need more info. Does it happen only when its very cold out? Has the engine reached its normal temp when it happens? Did you get any service message on the info display?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

one thing to not is it is very slugging/slow to shift when the transmission is cold. Also, if the engine is not up to temp the air will not be warm. The heating in this car is totally dependent on the temperature of the coolant. your vw probably had an electric heater in it which is why it was able to warm the passenger compartment quicker...
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by SudzRA
For the cold air issue, I'd have the coolant system checked for an air lock (an air bubble in one of the coolant passages). We've seen a couple of them here. The expansion and contraction of the air bubble due to heat will create intermittent problems with the heating, and because the air is displacing coolant, your reservoir will appear full.

The shifting issue is something else, however. We'll need more info. Does it happen only when its very cold out? Has the engine reached its normal temp when it happens? Did you get any service message on the info display?
Yes it does happen with it is very cold out and no the car is not up to normal temp when happening. There are no messages on the display
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

how many miles on your car?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by 2muchboost
how many miles on your car?
It's in kms, and it has 56,xxx kms
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Let er warm up first and your shifting issue should disappear
Old Jan 21, 2012, 01:31 PM

Also if to little coolant you will not get any heat
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by nunyas
your vw probably had an electric heater in it which is why it was able to warm the passenger compartment quicker...
negative. they just have a small heater core
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:36 PM

a t-stat suck open, plugged heater core, bad water pump, and air bubbles can all cause heating issues.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

With cold air temps the auto wont shift from 1~2 or 3 ~4 due to the programming. That's why its revs high. Check out the manual its in there.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jechttt
With cold air temps the auto wont shift from 1~2 or 3 ~4 due to the programming. That's why its revs high. Check out the manual its in there.
Sweet!!! Thanks for the info ... I was hoping that was what it was related to, thanks for clearing that up
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Wanamaker
It's in kms, and it has 56,xxx kms
Have you done a tranny fluid flush yet?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by 2muchboost
Have you done a tranny fluid flush yet?
Yes, it was done at around 40,000 kms
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:53 AM

I've noticed the cold air thing too. When the temp is into the teens the heater will blow much cooler air at idle, especially with the fan on high. If you lower the fan speed the air blows warm. Also if you blip the throttle the air will blow warm.

My theory is that a small heater core combined with slow water pump speed at idle (for mpg) can't keep enough heat in the core.

Quick Reply: Not shifting gears properly/blowing cold air