Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car "shutters" ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car "shutters" ?

So, ive been having this problem since my first transmission fluid change about 10,000 km ago and the problem has worsened over time.

Mostly when im deaccelerating this problem occurs. Its like the whole car shutters, especially in the steering wheel and gas pedal. Ive also noticed over time as the transmission gets warmer it becomes very noisy and the quality of the ride worsens.

Transmission is also a lot more jerky than ive noticed in the past.

This also occurs on acceleration, just not as often.

1. Brakes inspected and are good to go for a while.

2. Tires were rotated, balanced and had an alignment done 100k ago. Did not help.

3. The tech at mitsu has not gone into depth yet on the matter, just did work on the alignment, tires ect as mentioned above.

Id also like to state then when i got my tranny fluid changed igot the filter replaced. They never change the filter on the first fluid change, but i insisted after doing research. How much extra fluid would have been taken out from changing the tranny filter?

Is it possible they forgot to account that fluid and did not put enough back in?

Any other thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by ArtofRalli; Feb 11, 2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: new news
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same symptoms..are you tuned?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The amount of fluid loss by changing the filter and not refilling (priming) the filter cartridge before install would not be enough to cause these symptoms. There is something else wrong here. There may be a fluid level issue from an inadequate fill by whomever changed it, but it's not solely because of the filter contents.

I would be prone to look elsewhere, however. As mentioned, is the car modded/tuned? Did you have anything else done, other than the transmission fluid, at the time of service?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
You sure they put the correct fluid in the trans?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:02 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm at almost 45000 miles and mine's been doing that exactly same thing since after the break in period (500 miles or so). Didn't change much after a fluid change.

I just chalk it up to yet another one of those weird noises that the car makes.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

[quote=03chi-town0Z;9907931]The amount of fluid loss by changing the filter and not refilling (priming) the filter cartridge before install would not be enough to cause these symptoms. There is something else wrong here. There may be a fluid level issue from an inadequate fill by whomever changed it, but it's not solely because of the filter contents.

I would be prone to look elsewhere, however. As mentioned, is the car modded/tuned? Did you have anything else

No other service was done on the vehicle at that time.

Bryan - the invoice states they put in Diaqueen SST. 1 - TR.

Quantity - 11

Part number C0002610

Last edited by ArtofRalli; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:33 AM

Same problem here. The car shudders during decel in 5th and 6th gear from 2500 through 2000 rpm. It started happening sporadically around 11k miles. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong.

I'm now at 45k miles and I can't take it anymore. I'm call the dealer this week to get it in. I sorta hope its the trans. I'd love to get a new one.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

I believe the MAP and MAF tables need re-calibrating. My experiments have shown a huge causality between these airflow tables and non-boost driving (i.e. decelerating, and sloooooow accelerating).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I have a similar set up and no issues... Original tranny fluid (not serviced yet).
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I think you might be right. I just re-read that he doesn't have any bolt-on's, only the 2.5 base map w/ pill; that map never had any problems (I thought this was a fully bolted w/ base map issue). The whole car shouldn't shake, and the fact it gets worse when the tranny warms up is a bad sign. A 'shudder' when decelerating is completely different from the whole car shaking (steering wheel and gas pedal). That kinda sounds reminiscent of some '09 RA guys w/ bad solenoids from a year ago.....? I'll see if I can dig up some info on that.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I think you might be right. I just re-read that he doesn't have any bolt-on's, only the 2.5 base map w/ pill; that map never had any problems (I thought this was a fully bolted w/ base map issue). The whole car shouldn't shake, and the fact it gets worse when the tranny warms up is a bad sign. A 'shudder' when decelerating is completely different from the whole car shaking (steering wheel and gas pedal). That kinda sounds reminiscent of some '09 RA guys w/ bad solenoids from a year ago.....? I'll see if I can dig up some info on that.

I will be taking the car to the dealer to try and sort out the matter.

The car literally will shutter. WHOLE car, especially in the steering and gas pedal. And yes it is probably bad as the tranny gets warmer it seems to worsen. Like i mentioned above the warmer the tranny the quality of the ride decreases, alot.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by ArtofRalli; Mar 8, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My 2010 Ralliart Sportback has the same problems. I took it to the dealership for it's 30K checkup and they performed an injector cleaning BAM suddenly it started doing the shutter. I've been in and out of the shop since then and now I'm at 36000 and they still can't find the problem. Please let me know if you find any of the information.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:05 PM

I also have a 2010 RA. I haven't had this happen yet but interested, none the less. Only fluid changes are engine oil. No tranny service yet.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
Evolving Member

Just to put it out there; sometimes during a service, the dealer may flash the ECU to stock parameters because mitsu has ECU updates.

Did you try re-flashing the ECU again with the tune you had?

Good luck!
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by roversix
Just to put it out there; sometimes during a service, the dealer may flash the ECU to stock parameters because mitsu has ECU updates.

Did you try re-flashing the ECU again with the tune you had?

Good luck!
Wow I just took my car in for inspection and I heard the service guy say he reflashed the ecu to the other tech. I haven't noticed the shutter or vibrations and the car did feel a bit quicker idk though.

Quick Reply: Car "shutters" ?