Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Gauges vs Evoscan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gauges vs Evoscan

I'm starting to vaguely work on my plan for modding/tuning my Ralliart, and I figure the best thing to do first is to make sure I have access to all the important stats so I don't blow anything up. Given that, is there any advantage to installing gauges instead of just buying a Tactrix cable and running Evoscan on a laptop? Obviously part of the reason for the gauges is to look pretty, but is a boost or AFR or oil pressure (or whatever) gauge going to tell me something that I wouldn't get from using Evoscan while I tune and occasionally logging with the Tactrix cable?
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:10 AM

Gauges will tell you real time states and won't log it. Id rather know whats going on with the car in present time........than when it might be to late.
Both are good. Lets say evoscan is showing an unusual spike in one of the parameters from time to time. You can then just watch your gauges to see what you are doing when that spike(or drop) is happening. The gauges make it nice for basic trouble shooting. Also just to have a better understanding of the car.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

The gauges also make it nice to see if the car all of a sudden has an issue since you don't log all the time.

Evoscan gives you a lot more information and it's what you need if you are tuning your car. Once you learn how to read everything you will understand your car better. Also, you can post your logs here and the people in this forum is always willing to help.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

angryplatypus75, if you are coming to the hard parking event that was mentioned in the PCD thread you can see my EVOscan gauge setup.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:04 AM

So I guess the lesson here is, if I want to do it right, I need both. What would you guys say are the most important 2 or 3 gauges to run to catch problems with the car before they become serious?

angryplatypus75, if you are coming to the hard parking event that was mentioned in the PCD thread you can see my EVOscan gauge setup.
I'm definitely going to try to make it out for some quality hardparking, and it would be great to see what you're running. I had pondered some kind of setup with a Windows tablet PC and Evoscan, I just don't entirely trust myself to be that ambitious with the car modifications just yet.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

one option to check out (much cheaper than tablet) would be the Evoscan GPS unit. A windows 7 tablet generally runs between 600+ plus finding a mounting kit for it if it isnt included. the Evoscan GPS is 377. But it doesnt have tactrix or the wideband adapters included. which brings it to the same price as a tablet. But again you gotta buy wires for tablet as well.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:13 PM

So when is Evoscan going to come out with an android app that works with the Tactrix cable (with a full USB to mini USB adapter of course).
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:22 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
I'm working hard on the Android app, but yeah EvoScan GPSNav will still be the best option for a while till EvoScan for Android picks up all the same features.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:44 PM

I was reading the EvoScanGPS page and i came across this...

Note: The GPS Navigator is powered by 5v, so please be aware that the cigarette adapter is a 12v to 5v converter. So if wiring it up directly, then you will need to wire 12v directly up to the cigeretter 5v convertor adapter.

what does it mean? lol

Also, if i have a Tactrix OP 2 already, i dont need anything else to go with the GPS right?

Just want to make sure before I decide, thanks
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lchu
I was reading the EvoScanGPS page and i came across this...

Note: The GPS Navigator is powered by 5v, so please be aware that the cigarette adapter is a 12v to 5v converter. So if wiring it up directly, then you will need to wire 12v directly up to the cigeretter 5v convertor adapter.

what does it mean? lol

Also, if i have a Tactrix OP 2 already, i dont need anything else to go with the GPS right?

Just want to make sure before I decide, thanks
some people try to perma-mount the device in their dash. That information is there to inform people attempting to perma-mount the device in their car, and hard wire it into the electrical system, that they need to step the voltage down, or they'll fry their device.

If you're mounting it to your windshield and using the cigarette lighter power adapter, you have nothing to worry about.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but on a related note, how are the evoscan gauges compared to regular gauges? I mean hooking up the zt2 zeitronix to the evo scan for gauge display?

Last edited by ityn; Feb 16, 2012 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spell fix
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

you will still need a wideband gauge/source. evoscan can't read it from the ECU/Tactrix sadly

the fact that you'll need to get a wideband anyway, boost gauges so cheap, and much easier install, most people just get a boost/AFR gauge and call it a day

but just to tease - I use both

Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

eh, if you use an Innovate LC-1 you can hook up your wideband AND your OpenPort 2.0 to USB and read all of that in EvoScan...

With my setup I have USB from the wideband and the OpenPort 2.0 going to a 2port USB hub which then connects to my UMPC's 1 USB port. It gives me realtime boost, AFR, knock, coolant temp, and SST temp...

The only gauges that I can think of that I ~might~ want to install are Oil temp and Oil Press. Other than those, everything that I have an interest in monitoring can be monitored w/ EvoScan.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nunyas
eh, if you use an Innovate LC-1 you can hook up your wideband AND your OpenPort 2.0 to USB and read all of that in EvoScan...

With my setup I have USB from the wideband and the OpenPort 2.0 going to a 2port USB hub which then connects to my UMPC's 1 USB port. It gives me realtime boost, AFR, knock, coolant temp, and SST temp...

The only gauges that I can think of that I ~might~ want to install are Oil temp and Oil Press. Other than those, everything that I have an interest in monitoring can be monitored w/ EvoScan.
Good to know, the ZT2 should give me the same if not better... thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2012, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by evoscan
I'm working hard on the Android app, but yeah EvoScan GPSNav will still be the best option for a while till EvoScan for Android picks up all the same features.
Awesome. Will it work with the Tactrix USB cable or would you need to buy a Bluetooth OBDII device?

Quick Reply: Gauges vs Evoscan