Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Blacking out chrome nose ring

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blacking out chrome nose ring

Hi guys, I've searched around and found a number of threads about guys who have blacked out their chrome nose rings on their Ralliarts, but I can't seem to find a great thread discussing what's the best way to accomplish this. I know a lot of guys use Plasti Dip, and it looks like others have done spray paint and other painting methods, but I want to get everyone's opinion on which technique is the easiest, longest lasting, and most durable. If you recommend a certain method, it would also be great if you could include a step-by-step procedure on how to do the job from start to finish by using the method you are endorsing. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Feb 27, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Usually I'm the **** telling everyone to use the search feature, but this one is actually a little hard to find due to misspellings/errors on titles from members.

Lucky for you, I have them bookmarked

One word (or is it two): Plasti-dip

I just did this yesterday on my WW and it looks MUCH better than chrome.

Heres a few threads on it:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...and-paint.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...front-lip.html

And here's a how to on removing the chrome ring without taking off your whole bumper. Just need a stubby screw driver, patience, and an afternoon of your time.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-o-bumper.html
Old Feb 28, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Plasti-dip imo is the only way to go. It has lasted on mine over a year with only 1 chip and it matches the plastic on the front perfectly. Plus if you ever want to go back to original just peel it off!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
Plasti-dip imo is the only way to go. It has lasted on mine over a year with only 1 chip and it matches the plastic on the front perfectly. Plus if you ever want to go back to original just peel it off!

This.

Remove bumper. Unscrew ring, unclip, remove ring. Place on a dry cardboard box or something similar. Apply a nice even coat of plasti dip. Let dry for atleast 20 mins to 30 mins in 70F. Longer for colder temps. Get about 4~5fat coats on there. After the first 2 coats I overlap like crazy and increase drying time. I usually grab something to read between waiting time.

Let the last coat set for an hour or so. Reaatach everything.. always double check ur bumper install. 1 st time is always a pain. More info on removing can be found around here somewhere.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
plastidip worked great and still looked pretty good 2.5 years later. I did 3-4 coats. It is possible to remove the ring without removing the bumper but may be hard if you have large hands.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:24 AM

Here is another link i found for removing the ring....

http://s1.zetaboards.com/soflancer/topic/3839603/1/#new
Old Mar 4, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

I just blacked out the chrome ring on my RA. I honestly don't think the removal of the ring is critical. As long as you carefully mask everything and take your time around the edges with the masking tape you should be OK. I did five coats of Plasti Dip with 30 minute breaks in between and I'm very happy with the way things came out. Just make sure to give it about an hour after the last coat before removing the tape to prevent tearing/lifting of the Plasti Dip near the super tight regions (like on the bottom). I used a sharp edge to quickly go around the outline to break any overspray connecting the ring to the masking tape.

Some pics of the process and final result.

Old Mar 5, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

I bet it took you longer to tape off and cover the car then it would have just to remove the ring.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jay10Ralliart
I bet it took you longer to tape off and cover the car then it would have just to remove the ring.
I agree, I think the way to go is to remove the ring. A friend of mine is a mechanic and I'm paying him to do the job for me and I created this thread for him to use as a guide. Thanks everybody for all the replies, and feel free to keep them coming! I'm supposed to take the car to him this Sunday March 11th to get it done.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
don't know if you saw this thread... it's how to i used to do mine.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/09...-o-bumper.html
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:47 AM

I carbon wrapped mine!!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

removing it is as simple as undoing about ~15 screws... if you need a mechanic to do that for you, well..
Old Mar 6, 2012, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

When I did this on my RA, I didn't put a thick enuf coat of plast-dip the first time, and it chipped up pretty bad after 6 months or so. I had trouble peeling it off because it wasn't as thick as it should have been, plus all the little chips in the coating made it a pain to peel. After picking at it for a 1/2 hr, I tried varsol on it (with the ring removed from the car). Varsol took the plasti-dip off in no time. I re-sprayed it with a thicker coat, and never had an issue with it again.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SudzRA
When I did this on my RA, I didn't put a thick enuf coat of plast-dip the first time, and it chipped up pretty bad after 6 months or so. I had trouble peeling it off because it wasn't as thick as it should have been, plus all the little chips in the coating made it a pain to peel. After picking at it for a 1/2 hr, I tried varsol on it (with the ring removed from the car). Varsol took the plasti-dip off in no time. I re-sprayed it with a thicker coat, and never had an issue with it again.
What's the general consensus on how many coats of plasti-dip are needed for long lasting coverage?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

i put only two, but thick coat, used the whole bottle. only one chip where a rock hit it, other than that solid since day one. had it for about 9 months

Quick Reply: Blacking out chrome nose ring