Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Boost pill vs. Boost controler

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost pill vs. Boost controler

I Pretty much have a full bolt on on my 2009 ralliart and am deciding which is the better option if people can let me know the pros and cons of both of them that would be reallly apprectiated and can u adjust the boost on a boos pill?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Boost controller for sure, for sure if your getting a tune.
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
I prefer the boost pill for most scenarios. Installation is easy. No wiring. No need to find a place to mount a controller and solenoid. The car comes with a boost control solenoid. You need to reprogram the ECU to change the boost levels but if you're changing how much boost you're running, you're probably working the ECU for tuning anyway. On a daily driven car I'd just go the boost pill route.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:25 AM

Am I correct in saying a boost pill with no tune will do nothing? Or will it creatre a lean situatuation? Is the boost pill a simple flow restrictor or is to limit max boost, or both?
The whole boost pill is a little weird to me. It seems the manufactures put it in thinking it would not be found, so that people who mod cant go to high with there boost. I have had a few turbo cars and this is the first I have heard about it. I am wondering if all the years of moding on my GS-T and there was a boost pill in there all the time. lol
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

A boost pill with no tune will do damage
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it tuned. If you install it and are not tuned, stay out of boost. Boost pills limit the boost going to the solenoid which could think the ecu needs more boost and if timing isn't right and all that, engine failure. I might not be exactly right what the boost pill actually does with the solenoid though
Old Apr 5, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

i have a 2011 RA with the AEM Tru Boost boost controller and i love it i can go and run 8lbs of boost to save gas during the wk and in 2 sec change it to run 18lbs i love it
Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm on near-stock RA (ie. small turbo), and use boost pill style boost control. With the right ECU patches and tune, it works very well on this setup. Boost levels hug boost target pretty accurately.

If I do touch this area, it will simply be to swap the stock 2-port boost control solenoid for a 3-port... and tweak the ECU accordingly.

Rich
Old Apr 9, 2012, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

i am going to get a tune and then wondering what the better option is boost pill or controller can u adjust the boost with a pilll?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

ECU controls the boost, based on its setup. So yes, reflash with different setup to change your boost profile.

Rich
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
The 'boost pill' is a flow restrictor to 'weaken' the boost signal (think calibrate) in a mechanical way.

Now, why you need it to run a GST Basemap eludes me. Would the basemap not 'account' for the signal shift it needs (via software)? I am sure it is needed - just not quite sure why.

(if i am wrong - please correct me)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Bryan does actually have a Base Map for stock pill too. Here's a comparison of the BWGDC tables for the stockpill and boostpill tunes...

Note: The far right column is the "wide open throttle" bit. Note the desperately maxed-out-ed-ness of the stockpill tune. That's as far as the software can adjust... and it's not half as much fun as it should be.

The boost pill simply pushes out what "100%" gives you. You then get more boost for your duty cycle percentage... ie. you need less BWGDC to get the same boost...

You then magically have tuning headroom.

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Boost pill vs. Boost controler-2012.04.11_boost.png  
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to install a 3port boost controller in my RA, but there was no way we could find a place to mount it with the hardware, nuts, bolts, brackets, etc. If anyone knows a great way to mount it, I'd love to know so I could switch to it.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by npham455
I was going to install a 3port boost controller in my RA, but there was no way we could find a place to mount it with the hardware, nuts, bolts, brackets, etc. If anyone knows a great way to mount it, I'd love to know so I could switch to it.
Other side of your ECU bracket
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by omegis
Other side of your ECU bracket
Do you have a pic of this by chance? I ended up giving up on the install of it because there was just no way it was going to fit.

Quick Reply: Boost pill vs. Boost controler