Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Windshield defroster blows air that smells like crap (literally)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Windshield defroster blows air that smells like crap (literally)

My wife is the main driver of the Ralliart and she’s been complaining that there is a stench that literally smells like ****. We thought one of us stepped on some poop and transferred it onto the carpet but we couldn’t find anything and eventually she realized that every time she turns on the windshield defroster or the windshield defroster + footwell option the smell will come out no matter the circulation is on or off. We don’t smell it if any other air vent option is selected.

Anyone had the same issue and know where the smell could be coming from? I googled it up and some Mazda 3 owner had the exact same issue and somebody suggested that it was the cabin filter, but I had just replaced mine like 6 months ago. And if it was the cabin filter wouldn’t the smell come out no matter what ventilation option you choose? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe something slipped into the vent if something was sitting on the dashboard?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Sometimes mice climb into it and die. When i worked at acura there were plenty of mice heads under the fan. Or maybe someone didn't like your car and could've put something in the vent under the wipers? Is it when air is on recirculation or just vent through car?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It could just be bacteria growing in the air vent system. Do you use the aircon a lot?

When you switch off the car, a heap of condensation occurs around the aircon stuff... the car then sits parked for hours with all that moist, still air deep inside the dash. Perfect breeding ground for stinky bacteria.

You can do two things...

1) Cure: Buy an "anti stinky bacteria" spray, and spray it up the recirculation intake (ie. inside the car). The dealer may well know about this trick - where to spray, what to spray, etc.

2) Prevention: A few minutes before arriving at your destination and parking up, switch off the aircon and blow fresh air... that gives the condensing moisture a chance to disperse.

Having said that, the typical bacteria stink is less a **** smell and more a disgusting cat-p!ss smell. You may need to check that. So lean in there, take a big whiff, remember that smell... then find a really sick cat with chronic incontinence and...

Okay, too much information now. Way too much. Got it.

Rich
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^bwahahaha!

And consider spraying Lysol into the exterior vents (by the windshield with the hood open IIRC) with the fan on 'medium'...
Old Apr 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the quick responses...I took a peek at the windshield vents couldn't really see anything...haven't checked the exterior vents yet and will check that out later....I hope it's not a dead mouse or anythign like that....the A/C comment was interesting...at the end of the summer my A/C stopped blowing cold air...my Ralilart is only 3.5 yr and 50k miles old...was gonna try recharge the freon when it gets warm...i wonder if the smell has something to do with my messed up A/C....

but with regards to the general comments above, why do I only get that smell from the air that blows on the windshield and not any other vents tho? I don't smell anything from the 4 dashboard vents and the footwell vents....
Old Apr 3, 2012, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

I have a feeling something was dropped or slipped into those vents. They are the only ones where something can really slip in there (if something was sitting on the dashboard)
Old Apr 3, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

maybe it was the leftover Egg McMuffin that was left on the dashboard, and when you went into a powerslide in slipped into your dash vent, nothing better than re-heated Egg McMuffin..
Old Apr 3, 2012, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^Really? Does anyone really EAT in their beloved Lancer?! I hope not! If so - STOP IT. Now.

Das' nasee'... :P

(i will, however, eat in a rental car tho'.... )
Old Apr 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Veronica
^Really? Does anyone really EAT in their beloved Lancer?! I hope not! If so - STOP IT. Now.

Das' nasee'... :P

(i will, however, eat in a rental car tho'.... )
The only thing I eat are energy bars. Hell if I bring take out home with me, I let the car air out for like, 5 min in the drive way before locking it up.

Anyway, OP: Something probably died in there. Or your filter might just have a lot of crap on it. I know mine accumulates a lot of stuff in 6 months, esp thru the spring. Get one from autozone for like 12 bucks (not like 40 from the dealer).

Also, get one of those sprays that you can spray into the fan intake to kill whatever's on the AC coils.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

well....found what caused the smell....It was a dead mouse just like evo8dreamcar said ....nasty as hell ....it laid dead on top of the cabin filter....It claws hung onto the filter good so I had a fun time pulling the filter out and having to catch the dead mouse so it doesn't fall into the hole. The filter as filled with its poop and just thinking about the air we were breathing in for who knows how long makes me gag....I Lysol'ed the heck outta the filter housing and hopefully it will kill whatever smell and bacteria in the air vent system.

thanks for all the help guys!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for updating. Good to know. How do you get to the cabin filter?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by bossssman38
Thanks for updating. Good to know. How do you get to the cabin filter?
It's behind the glove box. Really easy to get to. There is a panel on the airbox that has clips holding it in place. Pull it off, and pull out the filter.

If you haven't pulled it out and looked at it, you might want to. Mine wasn't filled with disgusting mouse parts & droppings, but it did have a fair amount of stuff built up in it.

I'm replacing it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/CF10140-Fresh-.../dp/B0010DW608

You can get them for as little as $5 though without the "carbon / baking powder formula."
Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Struc
It's behind the glove box. Really easy to get to. There is a panel on the airbox that has clips holding it in place. Pull it off, and pull out the filter.

If you haven't pulled it out and looked at it, you might want to. Mine wasn't filled with disgusting mouse parts & droppings, but it did have a fair amount of stuff built up in it.

I'm replacing it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/CF10140-Fresh-.../dp/B0010DW608

You can get them for as little as $5 though without the "carbon / baking powder formula."

let us know how you like that filter....I just went ahead and bought the same one that I just threw away that was filled with mouse hair and poop...I got it off ebay for $16-$17. Part # Bosch P3784 (P3784WS works too).
And to remove the glove box just open it and you will see that there is a tab on each side that stop the glove compartment from opening any further. Just squeeze the box from the sides so that it can swing out more and then there is a plastic rod thingy on the right side that you'd have to move aside too. Then you should be able to take the whole glove box out..

Last edited by Heliart; Apr 11, 2012 at 06:52 AM.