Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Good Review From Top Gear

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did this guy come from with all the RA hate? Did your close relative get ran over by an RA or something?
Stock form the RA puts down close skidpad numbers and that is with a lower HP and skinnier tires as well as a heavier body. Now just upgrade the tires and you are well on your way to out-handle a WRX.
Now tell me how easy it is to upgrade tires vs to put in 3 differentials in a car.
Your trolling needs to stop. Post on the Suby forums where you will feel welcome.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by mxzas
Where did this guy come from with all the RA hate? Did your close relative get ran over by an RA or something?
Stock form the RA puts down close skidpad numbers and that is with a lower HP and skinnier tires as well as a heavier body. Now just upgrade the tires and you are well on your way to out-handle a WRX.
Now tell me how easy it is to upgrade tires vs to put in 3 differentials in a car.
Your trolling needs to stop. Post on the Suby forums where you will feel welcome.
It's not Ralliart hate, it's wanting actual facts to be posted, not BS. You'll notice I never once said "buy the WRX", it boils down to personal preference.

You are correct, the WRX uses 225 tires vs. the 215s on the Ralliart. They have similar skid pad numbers but the WRX is still clearly ahead when comparing stock to stock; the weight of the RA does not do it any favors in this regard. With the same tires, they are virtually identical. The RA does not out-handle the WRX, they are so close as to be indistinguishable. Differentials aren't everything. The RA is still substantially heavier and that hurts it.

The argument is somewhat flawed from the get go. It is essentially this; by spending more money, you can make car X faster than car Y. That's fairly obvious. A Ralliart with top of the line street tires should post better numbers than a WRX on stock tires. However, tires are not cheap, you're looking at $1000+, not exactly chump change to spend on a new car.

Last edited by ambystom01; May 13, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Are you serious? I can't tell if you are just trying to be difficult, or if you are truly ignorant of drive train loss?
Here is a good start, but there is plenty of info for you to dig upon:
http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-10...s/viewall.html
Thanks, I'm well aware of drivetrain loss. My statement was this: where are you getting these seemingly random numbers? You say the WRX has more drivetrain loss yet you haven't provided any reason for why that would be the case nor have you indicated why it is relevant.

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
I think that the RA/Evolution can handle more top-end power without a rebuilt engine. I could be wrong about that, though.
The WRX can as well. Both cars have their strong suits and both have their weaknesses. The WRX engine is undoubtedly more fragile than the engine in the Ralliart. However, the TC-SST is not as strong as the transmission in the WRX. It's a matter of picking your poison. If you want big power, neither car is a smart choice. If you want a quick daily driver, both cars are more than enough.

Last edited by ambystom01; May 13, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It's not Ralliart hate, it's wanting actual facts to be posted, not BS. You'll notice I never once said "buy the WRX", it boils down to personal preference.

I think the RA has the same width tires as the WRX; I think they both use 215 profile tires. The have similar skid pad numbers but the WRX is still clearly ahead. With the same tires, they are virtually identical. The RA does not out-handle the WRX, they are so close as to be indistinguishable. Differentials aren't everything. The RA is still substantially heavier and that hurts it.
Tires: 235/45 R17 94W Dunlop® SP SPORT® 01, Summer Performance (WRX)
vs
TIRE SIZE 215/45R18 (RA)

Also summer(WRX) vs all-season(RA). And the dunlop SP5000 that came with the car has one of the worst reviews on tirerack.

Every post you make about the RA redeems it inferior. Now tell me you don't hate it.

Last edited by mxzas; May 13, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Tires: 235/45 R17 94W Dunlop® SP SPORT® 01, Summer Performance (WRX)
vs
TIRE SIZE 215/45R18 (RA)

Also summer(WRX) vs all-season(RA). And the dunlop SP5000 that came with the car has one of the worst reviews on tirerack.

Every post you make about the RA redeems it inferior. Now tell me you don't hate it.
The Ralliart tires are classified as ultra high performance summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....dClar=Ralliart

The WRX tires are also classified as ultra high performance summer tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....andard%20Model

You are correct, the WRX uses 235 vs. the 215s in the Ralliart. Inside Line had them listed at 225 but obviously that was a mistake.

What I am saying is that deciding between the two cars boils down to personal preference, they are so similar that doing so objectively will be difficult. However, stock for stock, the WRX does perform better. The difference is not massive, but if you want to play that card, the WRX is the "winner". Should this dissuade anyone from buying the Ralliart? No.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
The WRX can as well. Both cars have their strong suits and both have their weaknesses. The WRX engine is undoubtedly more fragile than the engine in the Ralliart. However, the TC-SST is not as strong as the transmission in the WRX. It's a matter of picking your poison. If you want big power, neither car is a smart choice. If you want a quick daily driver, both cars are more than enough.
I totally agree. I am just a loyal Mitsubishi customer. Bruce makes Mitsubishi number 4 (I know, I have regular cat-scans as a precautionary measure, as there is probably something really wrong with my brain).

Now, I would pit Bruce against any Subaru out there (with a few more tweaks, that is). It is 80% aftermarket, at this point, though. Once you start tearing everything apart, it makes no difference, as I see it.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed, once you get to the point of modifications, any faults can be compensated for and comparing one car to another becomes impossible.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

You are making the same argument as I am, essentially. My thing is that once you really modify the hell out of the car, which I seem to have a pension for, it starts to make less and less difference. It is like higher education. You want to try and go to the best college, that you can, so that graduate school will be easier to get into. However, if you go to a middle of the road college, but go to a great graduate school, the graduate school degree is really all that matters. The Evolution, RA, WRX, and STI are all excellent "colleges", but their only advantage is that they give you access to some really excellent post-grad programs. (If that metaphor makes any sense). If you don't plan to go to graduate school, then yes, you basic college credentials will be the most important thing.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Just stop, you don't
want actual facts to be posted
, you are simply arguing for the sake of argument.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:56 PM

Does it truly matter witch is better stock? I bought my car with the full intention of doing mods. Hell I even like the way the WRX looks, I smile every time one pulls up next to me.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:57 PM
Former Sponsor

STM and WM are two completely different things. They don't even store information in the same way. Attempt to troll the troll: failed.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Just stop, you don't , you are simply arguing for the sake of argument.
And this helps how? I'm still waiting on the review that has the Ralliart out performing the WRX in stock trim. Every review I've found clearly has the WRX posting better 0-60 numbers, better 0-100 numbers, better braking numbers, better slalom numbers and better skid pad numbers.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA
You are making the same argument as I am, essentially. My thing is that once you really modify the hell out of the car, which I seem to have a pension for, it starts to make less and less difference. It is like higher education. You want to try and go to the best college, that you can, so that graduate school will be easier to get into. However, if you go to a middle of the road college, but go to a great graduate school, the graduate school degree is really all that matters. The Evolution, RA, WRX, and STI are all excellent "colleges", but their only advantage is that they give you access to some really excellent post-grad programs. (If that metaphor makes any sense). If you don't plan to go to graduate school, then yes, you basic college credentials will be the most important thing.
There are things that both cars can do, tires, suspension, chassis, let's face it, tires are easy upgrade, power is cheap as well, when you get to the end of modding, the superior AWD system takes the win here. The evo is heavier but puts down far more impressive numbers on the skidpad than any other car in its category, why? Because of its AYC.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

I'll say it again since some people aren't getting the message. Deciding between the Ralliart and the WRX is 100% personal preference. The two perform similarly out of the box and both can be modified quite effectively to produce more power, handle better, brake better, etc. Pick whichever one you personally like after driving both. The numbers are close enough that you would be unlikely to notice a difference driving around town.
Old May 13, 2012, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

There are things that both cars can do, tires, suspension, chassis, let's face it, tires are easy upgrade, power is cheap as well, when you get to the end of modding, the superior AWD system takes the win here. The evo is heavier but puts down far more impressive numbers on the skidpad than any other car in its category, why? Because of its AYC.
The WRX is lighter however and that helps in all areas of performance. A modified WRX is just as potent as a modified Ralliart. Critically, what is true of the Evo is irrelevant; the Ralliart is not the Evo (that should be obvious). The Ralliart does not have AYC. It's fine to talk about the "superior AWD system" in the abstract but in real life, the difference is not nearly as big. The Evo is also helped out quite a bit by having some great tires.

Quick Reply: Good Review From Top Gear