Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

putting an aluminum skid plate on

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
putting an aluminum skid plate on

lost my oem plastic splashguard in the dirt recently and have been sticking to pavement since. I am going to get a skid plate that covers the entire undercarriage but i wanted to clean out all the sediment and grime that the car has accumulated first, does anyone have any ideas on the best way to do it? figured it wouldn't be of much help to put the skid plate on only to have that crap stuck in there....
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Once you have a skid-plate, you'll be taking it off on a regular basis to clean the car. That's not to say that you shouldn't clean it now. I'm just making sure that you understand that a skid-plate isn't something that you install and leave in place from then on. In addition, real skid-plates don't have access panels for oil-changes.

Do RalliArts have the two little cross-braces near the rear inboard pick-up points for the lower front LCA? If so, then I'd strongly suggest the skid-plate (for Xs) from Thompson Racing Fabrication. Complete peace of mind. You can jack the front end up using the plate.

I'm not so sure about covering the entire bottom of the car. Seems to be overkill to me and it would be rather expensive. But if you're worried about the hard-lines under the driver's side, TRF also makes a cover for those. I have the prototype, in fact.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

best way to clean the undercarriage is with a lift and a pressure washer
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Once you have a skid-plate, you'll be taking it off on a regular basis to clean the car. That's not to say that you shouldn't clean it now. I'm just making sure that you understand that a skid-plate isn't something that you install and leave in place from then on. In addition, real skid-plates don't have access panels for oil-changes.

Do RalliArts have the two little cross-braces near the rear inboard pick-up points for the lower front LCA? If so, then I'd strongly suggest the skid-plate (for Xs) from Thompson Racing Fabrication. Complete peace of mind. You can jack the front end up using the plate.

I'm not so sure about covering the entire bottom of the car. Seems to be overkill to me and it would be rather expensive. But if you're worried about the hard-lines under the driver's side, TRF also makes a cover for those. I have the prototype, in fact.
those plates seem pricey for a cut piece of sheet metal. I haven't looked into skid plates before though so I don't know the norm....
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

There are no cheaper skid-plates for our cars in North America and, anyway, a skid-plate is worthless if you don't get a good one.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
A good way to pre-clean is to hook up the hose to a lawn sprinkler and slowly tow it under the car moving a few feet and letting it sit for 10 minutes...
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:11 AM

I made a skid plate for the majority of the front from a 4x8 sheet of 1/4 inch aluminum. I do take it off periodically for cleaning and have access for both the oil drains and filter with screw on panels. For the metal it was roughly $230 but there is quite a bit of scrap left for other projects. As far as ccovering the rest of your car I was only planning on doing the fuel and acd lines on the Drivers side since those are well exposed and then a good cover and diffuser for the rear transfer case and bumper. Do save your money on buying off the shelf it can be done with a sharpie a drill and a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade...and patience.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

1/4" is serious. Really serious. Mine is 3/16" 6061. It was $300.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 04:03 PM

i was looking at 1/8" thick one piece construction. i have no problem taking it off every 3k miles to change my oil. i have access to quite a bit of scrap metal and was going to cover as much of the bottom as practical. i know what i am going to do with the skid plate, i need to know how to get all the crap under my car cleaned out without access to a lift. all i have are a set of ramps and a garden hose, was looking for any suggestions on the best way to tackle this in more detail than just spraying away. are there any parts i'm gonna have to do some major corrosion protection on after washing it? etc.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Iowa999
1/4" is serious. Really serious. Mine is 3/16" 6061. It was $300.
yes its thick not quite a quarter maybe 14 gauge is a better definition. but after a massive piece of scrap steel hit it while driving, im happy its that thick

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android