Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Ralliart Underpanel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ralliart Underpanel

Guys,

SSP has announced their Ralliart specific under panel is ready!! I found this on EvoXForums. Check it out:

(copy and pasted):

!! SSP Ralliart 2 Piece Under Panel Pre-Order|Group Buy Thread !!

I'm extremely pleased to announce that production has officially begun on the all new SSP Ralliart Under Panel. After listening to countless customers complaints about the lack of a aftermarket option to replace the factory plastic under panel on the Ralliart we had to come up with a solution. And once again with help from Dino and the crew at Speed Circuit, we have now came up with the most comprehensive solution for replacing the factory Ralliart plastic under panel currently available today.

Not only did we address the issue regarding the insane shipping costs by making this a two piece unit just like the Evo one, we have also managed to incorporate a front Jack Point location as well. And we were able to do all this while maintaining the structural integrity and level of protection you would expect from a SSP Under Panel.

At this time I'm going to be offering the first 10 Ralliart Under Panels at $350 + s/h on a strict Pre-Order Basis ONLY. If I get more than 10 Pre Orders I'll take another $25.00 off !! After the Pre Order Sale is over the price will then go up to $375.00 + s/h. If you're in the market for a Under Panel for your Ralliart the time is now. This price will NOT be offered again by SSP!! **All Pre Orders will begin to ship by the 18th of this month if not sooner. **

Now as I stated these just went into production earlier this week so I don't have finished pictures but it's a near replica of our current Evo X Under Panel, with the only exception being the shape/contour to fit the Ralliart front bumper. For now take a look at the pictures below that Kris took while the first batch was getting cut out on the Water Jet.

Specs:

* 14.0 lbs total weight!!
* 6061 Billet ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION (2.2mm thick)
* Powder Coated (Black ONLY)
* Oil filter/Oil Drain plug access panels
* All New Front Jack Point Location
* All New 2 Piece Construction for lower shipping costs
* Added louvers for additional cooling benefits.
* Comes with all hardware and fittings needed
* Replaces 100% of the OEM plastic under panel
* Fits most aftermarket spoilers

Last edited by Jasoob; Feb 1, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How much WHP/WTQ does it add???
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:25 PM

SWEET! I've been waiting to get one since mine has been torn up and scraped to shreds.

How do we go in for the group buy?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeremy has a thread in the vendor section on here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/la...uy-thread.html
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:43 PM

Finally! I need my tax refund ASAP!
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. Need tax monies, however since I have school credit coming back it's delayed processing til mid February...

Boo....

SSP do financing with my promise to pay when I get my tax monays?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:42 PM

can i just have one?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

It's a flat piece of sheet metal* with holes cut in it... I mean measuring takes time, but not THAT much time. I'm not saying it should be free, but damn near $400 is crazy. I can buy an exhaust for close to that. It'd be A LOT cheaper to just have a local shop make you one (I've looked into it, I was quoted a little over half this price).

What is with vendors overcharging for such simple stuff lately? Cam shields for $40. spark plug covers for $120. and now underpanels for $375.

*Panel is constructed of 6061 aluminum. See revised commentary further down.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:43 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EyeDreamt
It's a flat piece of sheet metal with holes cut in it... I mean measuring takes time, but not THAT much time. I'm not saying it should be free, but damn near $400 is crazy. I can buy an exhaust for close to that. It'd be A LOT cheaper to just have a local shop make you one (I've looked into it, I was quoted a little over half this price).

What is with vendors overcharging for such simple stuff lately? Cam shields for $40. spark plug covers for $120. and now underpanels for $375.
I would tend to agree. I think any more than $250 is overpriced.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Nice to know someone else feels the same way. There are some companies out there offering good products at fair prices, but it seems a lot of them are just looking to make as much money as possible. I mean, look at Depo with their few products, all good quality and very fairly priced. Same with Moore Automotive on their intakes, and AGP with their turbo kits. Ultimate Racing is also very fair, as is MAP. But for each of those, there are 10 companies overcharging for parts.

Note: this is not an attack on SSP, they supported the SST when no one else was, and I appreciate that. I like the guys I know of there.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Are you guys for real? A perfect fitted, water-jet cut billet aluminum powder coated underpanel w/additional venting, jack points, etc. and the fact it's not a cheap plastic underpanel or ghetto sheet metal.

So you think the current group buy at $350/ea or $325 (if orders exceed 10) is too much and your proposed $250 is fine. That's actually really sad if you aren't willing to pay $75-$100 extra for a part that's been engineered and made to fit specifically our 'niche' Ralliarts. If you feel spending all that time bringing your car to some 'shop' and have them fit, fab some piece that may or may not work that could take up to a week to get right, go ahead. I don't get that logic at all and my time is worth way more than $75-$100 to deal with all that headache.

To each their own but I disagree with all of your logic about it being over-priced. I don't think you guys realize the R&D/marketing/fabrication/warranty costs.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

That's the issue, shops say "oh, its a niche so we need to make all our R&D back in the first few orders". But notice even after they have, prices stay the same, or go UP! Forgive me if I think profit margins over 50% are excessive. But hey, everyone needs a shop GTR or evo or both, and they have to pay the track fees for racing them, and they have to have extra money to cover any sponsorships they decide to hand out....

I'd rather support a small shop that doesn't have the overhead of paying for their race cars, sponsorships, etc and instead sacrifices those things to offer a competitive pricing point that's just my opinion though. And seeing as your not a vendor on these forums I'm allowed to post in in tour threads.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

I never said you weren't so I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, 50% profit margin???? I don't know what 'Dreamt' world you live in but we sure as hell aren't making anywhere near 50%.

How about go get one made EXACTLY like ours to spec, include your time going back and forth to the shop+gas,etc and let me know what your cost is.

FYI: (1) sheet of 6061 AL to a consumer in the underpanel size is about $300 alone. Then pay your CAD/CAM designer at least $75-$100, powder coating at $50 plus $60 fab cost. That's about $500-$525 at the least, and it would be a lot more im guessing....AND may not even fit first shot.

Honestly, it's not because I work for SSP, just so many guys talk out of their a$$ here it's ridiculous. I can't believe anyone would say $350 is a lot for a powder coated 6061 AL CNC piece.

I'm happy to have a discussion but $350 is more than reasonable.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

And also FYI, I'm an engineer that is also a certified CAD/CAM designer. I've worked in several large manufacturing firms, 3 of which were in the steel industry so trust me when I say, $350/ea in the current group buy is without a doubt reasonable.

Now, that's not to say if you go down the custom fab route and want to do a FULL underbody panel, then that's a different story. There's no real choice but to have that done by a shop. Honestly, if you're going to spend all that time getting one made somewhere, you might as well spend the extra coin and get a full, complete underbody proper one made.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks I posted on the thread I wanted one and needed one since I dropped my ride with rrm springs.

Quick Reply: Ralliart Underpanel