Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2011 Ralliart Interior and Dealership Problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Ralliart Interior and Dealership Problems

Hello,

I have been lurking on the forums for the last year or so. Currently I am at a bit of an impasse concerning my 2011 Lancer Ralliart (first car I have ever owned). Throughout my 1 year, 1 month and some odd days ownership of it (purchased in early January of 2012), I have been getting a number of problems with the interior. It began with a buzzing noise coming from the radio area when going over a bump or going above 3000 RPMs (idle or driving). The number of places that annoying noises has increased since. Here is the list of problems I am currently noticing:
1. Buzzing/rattling from driver seat belt adjustment panel.
2. Metallic click when turning right (haven't heard this in a while).
3. Buzzing/rattling from instrument panel (appears to be coming from steering wheel column).
4. Buzzing from radio (appears to be dashboard panel hitting the top of the radio).
5. Buzzing/rattling from dashboard in passenger side corner where windshield meets the dashboard.
6. Strange noise from far right (passenger side) fan at low rpm.
7. Buzzing from passenger side door panel.
8. Buzzing/rattling from rear panel where back windshield meets the "back" dashboard.

I took it in on February 15 to Dealership #1 (dealership where I bought the car) for the radio buzzing. In October I took it into Dealership #1 for all the above problems, however when I attempted to tell him about all the problems that I was noticing he stopped me after 4 of them. They did notice that they had installed the radio incorrectly at the time and fixed that problem. However when I got back into the car the radio was buzzing again. They also failed to reconnect the radio to the antenna and gouged the dash board. I brought it in later that week to have that sorted out, but I am very hesitant to bring it back to them. In November I contacted Dealership #2 and they wanted me to meet with the Manufacturers rep. Unfortunately due to "scheduling conflicts" I was unable to meet with him until January 2013. They had me come in and talk to him, but neither the dealership or the rep saw my car. I even sent him an email thanking him and asking another generic question, but have heard nothing from him to this day. I contacted Dealership #2 again in February asking when I could bring in my car. I heard nothing from them until I scheduled a service appointment. I went to the Chicago Auto show and there I spoke with Dealership #3. The person there was suprised by the troubles I was having with the interior and dealerships. They said that it would be covered under bumper to bumper and promised me that they would call me by the end of the week. I once again emailed Dealership #2 and they asked me for my VIN information as well as told me that it would most likely fall under "Adjustments" warranty. When I spoke with the rep, he made it clear to me that the problems I was having would be covered.

I have since cut off ties with Dealership #2, because I feel like they are purposefully delaying assisting me. Last night I sent an email to Dealership #3 (a week after speaking with them at the auto show). I am currently out of ideas. I love driving the car, but the number of noises coming from it ruins the fun. I am also very peeved at the care given to me by all three dealerships. At this point in time I am beginning to consider taking the lose and trade in the car, because I have under 7200 miles on it. Sorry for the long post and thank you for your help.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear your troubles.

I actually taped up and tucked wires in my car while I was doing mods like the stereo etc.

These cars aren't really known for having a quiet plush interior, quite the opposite actually.

Maybe a Golf GTI or something is better for you
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Rokpapaziz
Sorry to hear your troubles.

I actually taped up and tucked wires in my car while I was doing mods like the stereo etc.

These cars aren't really known for having a quiet plush interior, quite the opposite actually.

Maybe a Golf GTI or something is better for you
Thanks. Not having a plush interior I can live with, but after paying $25,000+ for a car I believe it shouldn't be making a buzzing or rattling.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

You paid 25k for a really advanced awd system, a turbocharged square powerplant (86mm bore x 86mm stroke) and bullshark styling, not a quiet interior with tight clearances and good assembly. In this price range, even a Honda Civic has a quieter, less rattly interior (notice that I say less, not a rattle-free interior).

Sorry KJ, if you want a non-rattling interior in this price range, Rokpapaziz is correct, a GTI is more the way to go for you, and even then you'd be sorely disappointed (I owned a 2008 Mk V GTI before trading in for a Ralliart).

I researched all of the rattles and noises and other things related to this car before I bought in June 2009 -- it sounds like you did not do the same. I even told my wife this car would be a rattlebox but that was kind of the *point* with this car and the Evo, and she loves my car even more than I do to this day.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:22 AM

OP, you need to contact Mitsu USA directly with these issues. Write a letter (on actual paper) that is professional and to the point. Explain whats wrong with the car and how you were treated at the dealerships. I had several unresolved problems with my RA. Once I sent a letter I got immediate results. Good luck.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would Imagine the dealer would only replace clips, etc which might keep it quiet for a week or 2 but then the rattles will come back
after the clips loosen.

This summer I plan to take off the doors and apply much needed Felt between the spots that touch the door frame. This will get rid of the rattles, I have already applied it to some parts of the Dash/Glovebox which worked great. Most companies include this as it's only $3 in materials but not .

I use
these sheets these sheets
and cut them to size.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
Check out this thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...xes-evo-x.html

They have the same interior and identify at least a couple of my rattles that I'll be tackling this Spring.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you should take care of the rattles your self. The link above ^ shows how to fix some areas but you can use those methods for other spots too.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dedicated5.0
OP, you need to contact Mitsu USA directly with these issues. Write a letter (on actual paper) that is professional and to the point. Explain whats wrong with the car and how you were treated at the dealerships. I had several unresolved problems with my RA. Once I sent a letter I got immediate results. Good luck.
^ I would say that's your best bet also! Good luck, I just bought a new Ralliart as well and I thought I heard a tiny buzzing noise coming from the driver side seat belt area also... now I'm kinda scared
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:27 AM

Sorry for not responding more recently. Thank you Dedicated5.0 and zeero260 I did contact Mitsubishi USA directly and they kept referring me back the original dealership that I bought the car from. Thank you neogeo64 and splattj for the links. I plan to fix the noises this spring, but was hoping that the dealership would fix them.

I was able to get one of the noises fixed by the dealership. Apparently the noise from the radio was actually from the dashboard and windshield. They crammed some foam in there, however I will probably have to fix that since they did an ugly job of it.

Once again, thanks to everyone who responded.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:41 AM

I'm sure the dealership will hate you with those kind of complaints.

I also felt that a car that cost as much as the RA should have an interior that didn't rattle all the time.

But it does.

And it has only got worse over time, so you have that to look forward to.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 01:55 PM

The plastic piece above my instrument panel just started vibrating a few days ago. It's almost constant when driving at highway speeds. I'm really debating whether it's worth taking it in to get it fixed, or just say screw it and get used to it... I don't like rattling, but I didn't buy a luxury car. The money we spent is all going into the performance, and I wouldn't have it any other way. That said, I'll probably try to get something to wedge in and cushion the rattling areas as they continue to arise.