Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leak?

Okay so i have a 2012 RA. I got the oil changed yesterday by the dealer. I get home a few minutes ago and decided to check under the car because i took a rough road home. Car hit a good size hole on my way. Well when i looked under, there was what looked like fresh oil on the underpanel where the oil filter is. I took the small panel off and did not see any oil coming out of the pan or filter. Which is good i assume. But now im just paranoid as to why there was oil on the underside of the panel. I checked the engine oil and all is good. Even checked the sst fluid in the truck, all is good. Now what the heck? Im about to be going on a 1,900 mile road trip. Last thing i need is to have a problem with my car. Any ideas as to what caused this oil to appear? There also doesnt appear to be any damage under the car.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

My 2009 RA had a very slow oil leak which I had the dealer look at. They found nothing to cause it. So, I took it to a nearby shop and they put a dye in the oil and told me to drive it 100 miles and bring it back. I did and it showed nothing. So i drove it another 200 miles and brought it back and they found a tiny leak in the gasket.

Just thought you may want to hear my story.
Old May 8, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

I would clean the up the oiled area and then keep a close eye on it and your oil levels.
If under warranty then also take it to the dealer and let them know your concern.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like the issue I have and many Evo X owners as well, the oil pan gasket has a small leak from the factory. The gasket is the liquid type and is pretty cheap/easy to replace, I'm still under warranty but feel better doing it myself on the next oil change.

First take the entire under panel off and make sure its only on the bottom of the engine if you can follow it up higher then it might be something else.

I cleaned everything off and checked it the next week. I could see oil around the gasket where the pan bolt up.

If it is your oil pan gasket:
1. I'd take it back and tell them the oil pan gasket has a leak.

or

2. buy
Permatex Ultra grey gasket Permatex Ultra grey gasket
maker and do it your self the next oil change. There is a how to in the Evo X section but petty much much drain oil, remove pan, clean off old gasket carefully, apply new gasket to pan, hand tighten bolts and let it dry for at least a few hours (12+ recommended), then tighten to spec and fill back up with oil.

Last edited by neogeo64; May 8, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

I took it to the dealer about an hour ago and explained what i came across. The service guy that changed my oil last, who im friends with, admitted that when he changed my oil, some oil had landed on the upper side of the panel and failed to clean it all. The little bit left behind had then come thru the opening of the small panel and covered some of the panel in oil. They took a look at it and verified that everything was good. But about the oil pan gasket leak, that is something i will mention to them next time. I may as well take care of it myself regardless if its leaking from there or not. Thanks for the help guys. Makes my trip half way across the usa and back just that much stress free!
Old May 9, 2013, 05:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
[rant]
Shoddy maintenance. It would have taken, what, 20 seconds to rag it down from the spill?

If the dealer mechanics were more dilligent in thier tasks - more people might get their service done at the delaership 'to have it done right'. They need to do at least a good a job as i can do in the driveway. [end rant]
Old May 9, 2013, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

^+1