Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

"Open Port" vs Cobb AP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Open Port" vs Cobb AP

Going to be buying a RA in the next three weeks, basically as soon as I decide on the right one. Im going to be buying a slew of parts right off the bat and trying to decide on a tuning program.

I have had great success with the Cobb Accessport and the Hondata Flashpro in years past and was thinking about going with the AP when i get my car. That being said, I dont plan on going huge with this car, probably up to stage 2 (AMS standards) or so. A guy i just recently have been talking to told me about "open port" and I am unfamiliar with this method.

Sooo, my question is which avenue would be better and why?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the most part Opensource software is no different than Cobb's Accessport or Ecutek. Your laptop, along with the purchase of a Tactrix cable, is basically used as the Accessport. The AP is better suited for those that want a very straight forward "plug and play" solution. The Opensource stuff does take a little more computer know how and a little more patience but is a great solution. Just because you choose to go the Opensource route it does not mean you have to tune your own car from scratch. This seems to be on of the bigger "misconception/myths" out there as far as Opensource software is concerned.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:41 PM

Well, im not into computers so that could prove frustrating for me, but where do the maps come from? Are they constructed from scratch based on the mods or are there premade maps do DL? I would like as much information as possible if i were to pursue the opensource.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The DarKnight
Well, im not into computers so that could prove frustrating for me, but where do the maps come from? Are they constructed from scratch based on the mods or are there premade maps do DL? I would like as much information as possible if i were to pursue the opensource.
just find you a reputable tuner, plenty on this forum. They can even email you a tune if you choose to go that route. They are not pre made it all starts with your baseline and go from there.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had AP and sold it. I bought the T-Cable dowloaded the GST Maps (WHICH ARE SUPERIOR TO COBB MAPS) and will never look back. I also had a dyno map made for me by one of the advertised tuner on this forum and it was a disaster!!! There are many tuners on this forum. Only few of them are as good as they claim to be and only handful of those can tune SST.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:57 AM

So there are downloadable GST maps on this site? What are the required mods for the GST mapping fo run at its best?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Check the GST thread in the tuning sub forum
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:27 PM

Excuse my ignorance but, the thread states the maps will only work correctly with an AEM intake?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

The aem one is for aem intakes only. Im running the 2012 RA boost pill map with turbo back exhaust and stock intake on 93 octane. There are multiple choices on maps. Read the very first page of the GST basemap thread. It explains in depth of the maps.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

You may not have a choice if you are purchasing a 2013 RA. OpenPort is the only option.

Cobb does not support the 2013 model, and has no plans to do so. I had this discussion with their support department already.

Cobb's products 2013 RA (notice no AP shown):
http://www.cobbtuning.com/Mitsubishi...13-s/70811.htm

Cobb's products for 2012 RA (AP shown):
http://www.cobbtuning.com/mitsubishi...12-s/70707.htm

Originally Posted by The DarKnight
Going to be buying a RA in the next three weeks, basically as soon as I decide on the right one. Im going to be buying a slew of parts right off the bat and trying to decide on a tuning program.

I have had great success with the Cobb Accessport and the Hondata Flashpro in years past and was thinking about going with the AP when i get my car. That being said, I dont plan on going huge with this car, probably up to stage 2 (AMS standards) or so. A guy i just recently have been talking to told me about "open port" and I am unfamiliar with this method.

Sooo, my question is which avenue would be better and why?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 11, 2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks. I doubt i will buy a '13 though