Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013 | 12:00 PM

Oil Leak

Hey guys! New to EvoM. We have an 09 Ralliart with 33k miles on it. About six months ago it went in to the dealership for a 30k mile maintenance, and apparently a leak in the rear main oil seal was found (hope I get it right). After a day at the dealership, and $2k+ in warranty work, we were told the problem was fixed. About three days ago it went back for an oil change and apparently the problem was back. Again another two days at the dealership. When I went to pick him up, the general service manager promised me "no more problems with the seal." On top of that, he told me I would have to come back in a couple days for "a new engine management chip." He wouldn't specify the issue, and to my knowledge the car has no other issues.

So last night I was out at dinner only to come back to the car, and a little puddle of oil. Before I left, I checked the dip to make sure there wasn't a noticeable drop in oil, which there wasn't, and drove home. This morning there was a much larger puddle.

I know a couple people on the forums have had similar issues, but they all seemed to have been fixed with just one seal swap. Let me know what you guys think my next step would be here.
Old Aug 25, 2013 | 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Jack up the car and wipe down everything so you can see where the leak is coming from. It might be your oil pan gasket.
Old Aug 26, 2013 | 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

x2.

Is the dealership dumping 'oil stop leak' down the engine? Any proof they actually pulled the motor to change the seal? As soon as i saw '...and "a new engine management chip" i put them on the skiffy list. There is no 'just swap a chip' for us. And if the dealership did put in "a new engine management chip" is that their 'out' for any future warranty claims? HHmmh?

skiffy. very skiffy. Beware.
Old Aug 26, 2013 | 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

x3 , my oil pan was leaking around 25k.. took it to dealer for free oil change and i mentioned it and they blamed it on a loose oil filter (lies). it kept leaking oil, i cleaned it all up, left the under panel off for a couple of days, jacked it back up.. and noticed the oil only around one part of the pan.

I didn't take it in to the dealer because i don't trust them anymore. The fix was cheap ($8 Permatex ultra grey gasket & $5 thin flexible metal putty knife).

It seems to be a common issue with the 4b11 on RA's and X's (cheap liquid gasket or not enough from the factory)
Old Aug 27, 2013 | 08:38 AM

Thanks so much for all the responses. We live in an apartment so it's a little difficult to jack the car up, but I am also very sketched out by the dealer so I'll make sure I do it this week. Considering taking the car to another dealer from now on. You guys think I should just ignore the service manager when he calls me this week to come back for the sketchy ECU swap or whatever he's calling it? BTW no proof the trans was ever out except I was told a trans fluid swap was included in the service.

Last edited by lmles; Aug 27, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2013 | 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

well, the new tranny fluid would support that the engine was out...