Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Thinking of buying a ralliart.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of buying a ralliart.

Hello I am thinking of getting a ralliart. I might wait ontill this summer because Mitsubishi is releasing the 2015 ralliart/lancer . Mitsubishi is Re designing the lancer for 2015.
I want to wait and see so I don't feel sorry for buying a 2014.
But other then that how do you guys like the car?

I want to make small mods on the car, Aem cold air intake
New exhaust system (not sure witch)
Intercooler (not sure witch)

Enough to get it sitting at 250 awp /hp and all be happy at 250 hplease or 260 or 270.

Feedback and advice would be appreciated, and please when you reply keep in mind I'm a complete modding noob, and this will be my 2nd car (first one got wrecked 1 month after getting my Mazda, not my fault) so technically it will still be my first car lol.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

You won't feel sorry for buying a 2014 (or the potential 2015 which will probably get made along with the last batch of Evo X's this summer) if you want a Lancer with a turbo. The new Lancer will most probably be a rebadged Renault while the new Evo, if it actually happens, will be an entirely different concept with a hybrid powertrain. It's improbable that Mitsubishi will ever make another Ralliart like this due to their "eco" image as of late.

However, if you are buying new, I would strongly recommend just skipping the Ralliart at this point. The model is very old and falling behind the times after 5 years on the market. The new 2015 WRX is a superior car in every way (except the looks, which have never been Subaru's strength). It has better engine (turbo version of the BRZ's boxer) with a better twin-scroll turbo, a really good 6-speed manual transmission, a much stiffer chassis with a better suspension for excellent handling in the corners, better brakes, better tires, better interior, bigger trunk... The list just goes on an on. Also, since you are in Canada, the new version had a huge price drop compared to the last gen WRX, so it is also better priced than the Ralliart at the moment. Don't get me wrong, the Ralliart is still a decent car, but it just cannot compete anymore.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:30 AM

Yes, for I believe 2 Grand less or 1.5k less the wrx has advantage but not with the Awd system, mitsubishi's is still top dog I heard. But yes 30more hp on the wrx. My problem is the fact that the new wrx is a cvt automatic (I don't drive Manuel) whereas the lancer ralliart is Twin clutch auto Manuel so much faster better response. I dislike the wrx look. But also it is different but does not stand out much like a lancer with its jet fighter grill does. I'm sure they will remake the ralliart, hopefully they step up their game because the new wrx stock is bad *** for 29.999k. Have you ppl been enjoying your turbos in the ralliart? Any lag?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

In theory the Ralliart should have an advantage due to all the fancy differentials, but in practice the new WRX handles corners way better because of its much superior chassis. In any case, Subaru's symmetrical AWD is perfect for winter driving. Simple, but effective.
As far as the CVT option, I've heard it is actually quite good, though I've only tried the manual (which was awesome).

As I said, the Evo (and Ralliart) will never again be based on the same concept. Mitsu are probably going to rebadge Renaults as Lancers and potentially make a hybrid sports car. If you want a car like the current Evo X/Ralliart, now is the time to get it.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:37 PM

What do you mean by Renault rebadge?. Maybe I might get a wrx over a ralliart that 30hp. Seems to make a big difference in performance and I heard it's handling is equivalent to a Porsche 911 only.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:27 AM
Evolving Member

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...106-2x10k.html

In any case, test drive a few cars and see which ones you like. That's the best way to make a choice
Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:26 AM

Ohhhhhh..... Well thanks alot for your advice Yea I believe Mitsubishi is going to completely f up the lancer line now.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Test drove the new WRX, the fuel economy is better however the CVT is just disappointing to drive hard, handling is much much improved over the older gen WRX, I would say the springs feel stiffer than the ralliart.
Just get the manual one and learn it, the CVT was slower vs ralliart despite the higher output.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by mxzas
Test drove the new WRX, the fuel economy is better however the CVT is just disappointing to drive hard, handling is much much improved over the older gen WRX, I would say the springs feel stiffer than the ralliart.
Just get the manual one and learn it, the CVT was slower vs ralliart despite the higher output.
Ralliart has the Dual clutch that's why it's faster then Cvt...... I could easily add 30hp to the ralliart to make it 268hp like the wrx.... I hear with a air intake and a good tune you can get it to 300hp?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:25 PM
Evolving Member

I don't think I could go back to a Subaru. Ya I liked mine but mitsus are so much easier to work on. Also, when I bought mine I said the same 250 horse thing. Its an addiction and I already know in a couple weeks 450whp won't be enough. That bug catches almost everyone haha. Good luck on your hunt
Old Jun 11, 2014, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kiwithequaker
Ralliart has the Dual clutch that's why it's faster then Cvt...... I could easily add 30hp to the ralliart to make it 268hp like the wrx.... I hear with a air intake and a good tune you can get it to 300hp?
Lol, no.

Air intake will do absolutely nothing. A tune will get you maybe 15% more power which will barely match a stock 2015 WRX (it does about 225 hp, 245 torque at the wheels vs 190-200 & 220-225 for the Ralliart). And then there is the extra weight - Ralliarts are another 200 lbs. In the end in a DCT vs CVT comparison, they are about the same in a straight line, but if you compare a Ralliart to a manual WRX, Ralliart is not as quick. However, that doesn't tell half the story since most people don't just use their cars at the drag strip. The WRX has massively better power band due to the twin scroll turbo and responds much better than other turbo cars if you step on the gas while cruising in higher gear. It's way more fuel efficient as well. And that's just the powertrain. No matter what you do, you can't change the fact that the WRX has a much stiffer chassis and much better suspension. Brakes are better too. To put things in perspective, you'd have to spend at least $2000 on tires & wheels, $1000 on brakes, $2000 on suspension (coilovers and sway bars), and $1000 on power mods to get a Ralliart to the handling and performance level of a 100% stock 2015 WRX (which is already priced better anyway) and that's if you do all the work yourself.

Getting to 300 hp with a Ralliart requires a turbo upgrade. A full exhaust, better intercooler, boost pill or 3-port, and custom tune will give you maybe 250-275 at the wheels (depends on the dyno reading).

Don't get me wrong, I like my Ralliart very much and have enjoyed driving and modding it a lot over the last 2 years, but I honestly wouldn't buy one if I was looking at the market today. Right now it's just an OK older car competing against a great new one.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by AlDim
Lol, no.

Air intake will do absolutely nothing. A tune will get you maybe 15% more power which will barely match a stock 2015 WRX (it does about 225 hp, 245 torque at the wheels vs 190-200 & 220-225 for the Ralliart). And then there is the extra weight - Ralliarts are another 200 lbs. In the end in a DCT vs CVT comparison, they are about the same in a straight line, but if you compare a Ralliart to a manual WRX, Ralliart is not as quick. However, that doesn't tell half the story since most people don't just use their cars at the drag strip. The WRX has massively better power band due to the twin scroll turbo and responds much better than other turbo cars if you step on the gas while cruising in higher gear. It's way more fuel efficient as well. And that's just the powertrain. No matter what you do, you can't change the fact that the WRX has a much stiffer chassis and much better suspension. Brakes are better too. To put things in perspective, you'd have to spend at least $2000 on tires & wheels, $1000 on brakes, $2000 on suspension (coilovers and sway bars), and $1000 on power mods to get a Ralliart to the handling and performance level of a 100% stock 2015 WRX (which is already priced better anyway) and that's if you do all the work yourself.

Getting to 300 hp with a Ralliart requires a turbo upgrade. A full exhaust, better intercooler, boost pill or 3-port, and custom tune will give you maybe 250-275 at the wheels (depends on the dyno reading).

Don't get me wrong, I like my Ralliart very much and have enjoyed driving and modding it a lot over the last 2 years, but I honestly wouldn't buy one if I was looking at the market today. Right now it's just an OK older car competing against a great new one.
O wow that cleared some things up ty.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlDim
Lol, no.

I don't think the CVT will have 225 at the wheels, the 225 number is from a manual. CVT has more drivetrain loss than a manual or SST. That is also reflected on the 0-60 and quarter mile times:

0-60 MPH 5.8 sec
QUARTER MILE 14.5 sec @ 96.7 mph

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz34LAvcjvX

That is slower than the stock ralliart quarter mile times.

The Ralliart was released in a time before the last gen refresh, so when it was released it had an edge over the non-wide body WRX. However Subaru has always been 1 step ahead of Mitsubishi, now the edge widens with the newest gen. This is a 5+ year old platform we are talking about.

There hasn't been much modding ability demonstrated with the newest WRX yet so we will have to see, for it being a new engine and CVT is known to not play nice with mods.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

Looking at the modding market for the BRZ (which uses a non-turbo version of the same engine), I have no doubt that the new WRX will get a very healthy amount of support.
I don't think that modding enthusiasts would buy the CVT model.

As far as 0-60 times go, there are a ton of variables. With the Ralliart some tests have gotten 5.4, some 5.8 (most of them achieved with brake boosting, which is terrible for the transmission). I've seen some people claim they got 5.4 with the CVT WRX too.
In my case, I can't get anything under 6 with my modded Ralliart simply because I am 1000 m above sea level. Either way, these numbers don't mean anything in the real world, they are just for reference.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:27 PM
Evolving Member

This "reference" is enough to say that the CVT does not live up to the car. It might be good for the non-car people but if you compare apples to apples now, the transmission is a let down.
The 2.0 in the new WRX is a new platform, if the ralliart had a different SST and a different engine, I would wonder if we have any aftermarket support at all, we are lucky that the major drivetrain components are shared. Just look at the coilover support, it's very bad to say the least.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying a ralliart.