Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need some help for a beginner!!!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015 | 10:24 PM

Exclamation Need some help for a beginner!!!

Hey guys!

Alright, so I'm new to all of these forums and stuff so bare with me. I recently purchased a brand new 2015 RA with the help of my parents of course. I was deciding between an Evo and Ra, but I'm pretty happy with my choice since the RA is more of a daily driving vehicle and plus the seats folds down unlike the evo, which in my opinion is important for long road trips and just for convenient space.

Anyway, as a beginner and new to moding cars I was wondering what is the best thing for me to do first? As you all probably know modifying a car can be pretty hard on your wallet, so I don't really have that much money to start with, but just enough to start with something. Just keep in mind that my car has a 5 year warranty, and I was planning on waiting until that runs out and by the time it does I would have enough money to do a stage 2 tune up. Here the things that I'm considering on doing first. They're not in order, and I have about $2k to spend!

1) Coilovers (if you guys know or recommend some decent but not too expensive coilovers)
2) New sets of wheels
3) New exhaust system (cat back maybe)
4) Cobb accessport V3 (since I don't wanna ruin my warranty and I hear there's a noticeable change)

Or if you guys have any other suggestions please tell me!
So ya let me know on what you guys think is the best thing for me to do first!

Last edited by Ajvaughan7; Mar 12, 2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2015 | 03:46 AM
Evolving Member

I'm pretty sure the coil overs alone will run ya a grand

IMO the car handles well enough on its own if your only doing light track days adn autocross you'll be fine without em.

The cobb is a good start but your gonna need a map with it(Just to clarify) which can be had around here there and everywhere, I'm not sure if Cobbs do their own thing as far as format or anything like that but I imagine a search will help you sort that out
Old Mar 13, 2015 | 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome!

If $ is kinda' tight and warranty is important (because $ is tight) - just save for maintenance for awhile. Maybe new wheels when these tires wear out...

Do some low/no cost appearance mods first, eh?
Old Mar 13, 2015 | 07:50 PM

imo your best bet would be to search the evo x classifieds and start with swapping out the plastic bov with the evo x metal one (can be found for no more than $100). Then i would look into getting a evo x intercooler (about $100) and getting atleast a new upper pipe and even a lower pipe. Ultimate racing makes some good stuff. I would also get a high flow air filter (K&N will run ya about $50). These 3 mods are key to these cars and wont void the warranty. Then you can get a catback. Also note none of these mods require a tune. As far as cobb goes, i have an accessport and love it but its really no good until you get a protune because the ots maps are complete ****.
Old Mar 14, 2015 | 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dmarianodesign
imo your best bet would be to search the evo x classifieds and start with swapping out the plastic bov with the evo x metal one (can be found for no more than $100). Then i would look into getting a evo x intercooler (about $100) and getting atleast a new upper pipe and even a lower pipe. Ultimate racing makes some good stuff. I would also get a high flow air filter (K&N will run ya about $50). These 3 mods are key to these cars and wont void the warranty. Then you can get a catback. Also note none of these mods require a tune. As far as cobb goes, i have an accessport and love it but its really no good until you get a protune because the ots maps are complete ****.
Can't believe I forgot that lol given I just did this in mine a couple days ago.

I did the intercooler and piping first then a few days alter my BPV showed up.
The intercooler obviously doesnt do much thats noticable(unless your hitting the track imediately) the BPV wakes up the a car a little, I believe the stock one leaks boost thats why the upgrade is neccesary.
Once your posts are up you can find a setup for sale in the EVO x Classifieds they seem to show up at elast once a week.
Old Mar 14, 2015 | 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Evo X bpv, fmic and uicp/licp. Can all be found used and do a fairly good job for the car. As also previously said then the K&N filter.

Coilovers... You could probably just get away with springs for now if you're on a budget.

Catback it's all up to you on which one sounds good to you. The popular one that I've heard a lot about is the Ultimate Racing one (I run this one with the resonators and mini mufflers)

The Cobb AP is okay but again the OTS maps are garbage so if you get it look to get a custom tune (costs $$$)
Old Mar 16, 2015 | 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Always start with wheels. all your upgrades mean nothing if you cant transfer all that car to the tarmac/.
Old Mar 17, 2015 | 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crak
Always start with wheels. all your upgrades mean nothing if you cant transfer all that car to the tarmac/.
The stock wheels/tires are just fine for starting out. Assuming he's a noob (sorry if i'm mistaken) then driving skill would be more important to be able to maximize how the car performs on the pavement rather than just going sticky tires. The car stock anyway I don't believe even outperforms the stock tires.
Old Mar 17, 2015 | 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ajvaughan7
They're not in order, and I have about $2k to spend!

1) Coilovers (if you guys know or recommend some decent but not too expensive coilovers)
2) New sets of wheels
3) New exhaust system (cat back maybe)
4) Cobb accessport V3 (since I don't wanna ruin my warranty and I hear there's a noticeable change)
1) Fortune Auto 500's with radial bearings and rear ext. ( look at the sponsor post for best deal. usually around $1200 shipped )
2) Buy used set of Evo GSR enkies locally (find a local mitsubishi car group on FB)$~ 400
3) cat-back's range from $500 to $1000 shipped
4) Cobb accessport is not recommended for SST car's ,they seem to do more harm than good. Invest into a Tactrix openpot 2.0 and ecuflash /evoscan. there is a free GST base tune map which will give around 30hp free.

Any mod will void your warranty. they will know even on a cobb.