Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Tire Opinions/Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Opinions/Recommendations

Hello All,

I have a '11 RA Stock with only K&N Drop-in Air & Cabin Air Filters installed. I'm currently on some Hankook Venus S1 Noble 2 225/40/18 and I'm in need of some new tires.

I like the Hankook brand so I would just get another set of these that I'm currently using but in 225/45/18 size.

I'm looking at the following tires, just seeing if anyone has some experience with the ones on the list (see below) and any issues. My driving style is very spirited, I take corners very aggressively, I don't do any track stuff with my car.

My major needs is good/great performance in dry/wet conditions, good ice/snow traction (when I encounter it - I live in NC), good tire life/warranty (more than 40K miles), reasonably priced (less than $175/per tire if possible). So I'm sticking with either Ultra High Performance All-Season or High Performance All-Season tires based on my driving style.

Tire List
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Dunlop Signature HP
Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (What I currently have)

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pckiller00
Hello All,

I have a '11 RA Stock with only K&N Drop-in Air & Cabin Air Filters installed. I'm currently on some Hankook Venus S1 Noble 2 225/40/18 and I'm in need of some new tires.

I like the Hankook brand so I would just get another set of these that I'm currently using but in 225/45/18 size.

I'm looking at the following tires, just seeing if anyone has some experience with the ones on the list (see below) and any issues. My driving style is very spirited, I take corners very aggressively, I don't do any track stuff with my car.

My major needs is good/great performance in dry/wet conditions, good ice/snow traction (when I encounter it - I live in NC), good tire life/warranty (more than 40K miles), reasonably priced (less than $175/per tire if possible). So I'm sticking with either Ultra High Performance All-Season or High Performance All-Season tires based on my driving style.

Tire List
BFGoodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S
Continental ExtremeContact DWS
Dunlop Signature HP
Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 (What I currently have)

Thanks in advance.
Check out TireRack.com they have reviews on all those tires. I do believe they have video reviews as well as customer reviews to base a judgment on. In the end it's about your budget, needs and taking a chance. I have Sumotomo's never heard of them until I bought them, they okay, but I just have Grand Touring ones. Next time performance a/s, these look like granny tires on my car,lol. Then add that too our cars looking like 4x4's from factory..
Old Sep 6, 2016, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by russ72
Check out TireRack.com they have reviews on all those tires. I do believe they have video reviews as well as customer reviews to base a judgment on. In the end it's about your budget, needs and taking a chance. I have Sumotomo's never heard of them until I bought them, they okay, but I just have Grand Touring ones. Next time performance a/s, these look like granny tires on my car,lol. Then add that too our cars looking like 4x4's from factory..
TireRack is always my goto for Tires, etc, and that's where I complied the list from but was seeing from other Evo/RA drivers if they've used the tires on the list.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
New Continental "DWS-06" Awesome tire...look up their #1 rating on tire rack. Ultra high performance all seasons. They improved the dry traction over the highly rated DWS's
Old Sep 7, 2016, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
FWIW
I ran the Hankook Ventus EVO. They were #2 rated tire (on reviews) - but significantly cheaper than #1...
Old Sep 9, 2016, 10:04 AM

Why all seasons? You're in NC so you see snow like what, 1 or 2 times a year? You're losing a lot of performance for the couple times you'll see snow. I'm running the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo right now and love them.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Summer tires lose a lot of their grip once the temps are in the 50's and below. Is like being on a wet road. It can be really dangerous. You dont realize it because your car is AWD but on my previous civic it was very problematic in 1st gear.
BTW Bridgestone S04 > V12s :P

Last edited by SharkyPR; Sep 11, 2016 at 06:34 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 04:53 AM

That's why you find a cheap set of wheels and get some winter tires. I'm in Ohio so I see a lot of snow and cold for 3-4 months. I found a cheap set of stock 16" Lancer wheels and put winter tires on.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you insist on using all season tires, the DWS is hands-down the way to go, imo. I have recommended dozens of sets to customers and friends and have not had one complaint about them.

That being said, if you are willing to pick up a cheap set of steel wheels and dedicated snow tires, the Hankook Ventus V12Evo is a very well performing summer tire for dry/wet at an incredible price and it fits into your Hankook preference.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 09:37 PM

I have the Conti UHP DWS's on my 09. The tires are F'n incredible. I got them on tirerack.com for $137 a tire. I've yet to see snow on them, but have experienced everything else. Trust me. You won't regret it.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 08:31 PM

The Continentals are some of the best all season tires you can buy IMO. I have them on all of my cars aside from my VR-4.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FoxFMX
That's why you find a cheap set of wheels and get some winter tires. I'm in Ohio so I see a lot of snow and cold for 3-4 months. I found a cheap set of stock 16" Lancer wheels and put winter tires on.
+1

I'd say get a nice set of summer tires for the 18s and just get a cheap set of 16 rims for winters. I don't usually advocate for A/S tires unless money is really tight.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Simplify....One set of wheels....Continental "DWS-06" Extreme Contact tires....Done....Best of all worlds, period.