Notices
09+ Lancer Ralliart General Discuss any generalized technical factory turbocharged Ralliart related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Soooo. I've had this 2010 for a few months. Now what?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2016, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soooo. I've had this 2010 for a few months. Now what?

At this point, it should be obvious that i bought a second hand vehicle. I have NO idea of it's past, but i suspect it's ben driven hard. Possibly have a tune already, and, perhaps not even a great one.
The car has been covered with foil at some point. It also has a faint outline on the windscreen where there has been text on the lower portion of it.
So, i suspect (shock and horror) that it has been a street racer.

Now. I have an issue or two, that i thought i'd like you guys n' girls to give me some input on.
First, and most noticeable. Sometimes, rather rarely, the car just wont start. The engine turns over, but nothing really happens. Turning the key back from the starter position, but remaining in the "on" position (ignition?) and trying again, 5-10 seconds has it turn a few times, and then, start, but, it's like it's hesitating slightly. Once it gets up to speed, it's fine, and, it's a freaking rocket to drive, but then again, i don't really have that much to compare it to.
The other "issue" is something i haven't actually been able to confirm my self, but reportedly, when i, (or the automatic shifting), downshift, and i'm flooring it, it smokes black, "like a diesel" which, it suppose it really shouldn't?
As i said, takes of like a rocket, and all that.

I'd like to see if there is any suggestions as to what i should look at, to try and fix either. Since i bought it from the local Mitsubishi dealer, i still have "some" warranty, and in this case it actually works to my advantage, since, regardless of if it has been tuned or not, Swedish law says they are responsible, since they sold it in this condition.

I intend to get me a diagnostics kit of sorts. Right now i'm thinking a Tactrix Openport 2.0, for it's dataloging abilities, as well as, if i can confirm that there is nothing "wrong" or, after i get what ever issues there are fixed, the ability to pull the ROMID, send it of to David, and get confirmed that TephraXMOD will work for my ECU, pay him for it, and try and fit 2 tunes to my ECU, for a "performance" and "economy" tune, on "98 octane" fuel.
The datalogging should help me get some data on whats going on when it wont start. But i haven't pulled the trigger on it, not wanting to buy the "wrong" thing. From looking around it seams to be cheapest to actually get it of their own website, well, not counting eBay, and not really knowing what hardware version i'd get, since the few Swedish sources for the darn thing is a lot more expensive then price + shipping + VAT. So, unless anyone has a suggestion for a EU based buyer, that is at least as "right" or better, i'm going to pull the trigger on the Openport 2.0.

Anyway, hi everyone. Grateful for any helpful hints, suggestions and ideas you might be willing to throw my way.
B!
Old Oct 3, 2016, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
No start at times, could be a fuel pressure regulator, Incorrect tune in areas like cranking ipw enrichment.

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. Means the car is running rich when you are under load to run safe and not blow up. Normal

Get ecu flash for rom writing.
And get evoscan for data logging.

And a tactrix cable. I have a 1.3u idk if that will work for a evo x can bus
Old Oct 3, 2016, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
No start at times, could be a fuel pressure regulator, Incorrect tune in areas like cranking ipw enrichment.
Would this be something one could see through the datalogging capacity of the Openport 2.0, or similar?

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. Means the car is running rich when you are under load to run safe and not blow up. Normal
Well, normal, for a car with a tune then i assume. Which i suppose also means i can confirm the suspicion i've had. The car has a tune. An quite aggressive one at that. Guess that explains why it's a beast on the fuel consumption. But damn it's good fun to drive. :- )

Get ecu flash for rom writing.
This one was a "given" if i went with OpenPort 2.0, since it's free.

And get evoscan for data logging.
well, at the going rates for the hardware, and TephraXMOD, getting the 25 bucks for the EvoScan software, shouldn't be the end of the world.

And a tactrix cable. I have a 1.3u idk if that will work for a evo x can bus
I have no idea either, and, getting a second hand unit, might not be that much of an advantage, given price, shipping, and, VAT, including VAT on the shipping. In the end, the savings for going with an older (?) unit second hand, might not be worth it.
Not that i know if there is any "features" that wont work, or just isn't included. (As in, remote datalogging to microSD card.)
I think i saw a recommendation that for Evo 5-9, get yours. 1.3u. For X, get 2.0. But i cant find anything on it as of now, which might be due to it being 5:15 in the morning. My Google-fu might be tired.

Scratch that. I think THIS says that i should get a 2.0.
Anyway, it's not like it's actually going to work, but i need beauty-sleep like everyone else needs food, water and oxygen. So i'll head to bed. Perhaps in the mornin' i'll look like the ugly-stick missed my face. (Nope. Just woke up. Still not that good lookin. Have great day everyone)
;- )

Last edited by -=Mr B=-; Oct 4, 2016 at 03:15 AM.