Notices

All-season tires

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All-season tires

I am looking for a good set of all-season tires to replace the Yokohama Advans currently on my RA. I would like the chosen set of tires to be good in wet/dry conditions, at least satisfactory in 1-3" of snow, and in the ballpark of $500.00.

I was on TireRack.com, and I have narrowed down my choices to three sets of tires:
  1. Continental ExtremeContact DWS (Link)
  2. Kumho Ecsta ASX (Link)
  3. Pirelli PZero Nero (Link)
I am just looking for any opinions that others may have, prior or current experience, etc. Thank you in advance.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
had a set of kumho asx on an 02 mailbu, 17" mounted on aftermarket rims, a few years back and was super happy with them, even tho the car was only fwd, handled great even in light snow. plus the price on those is very right. i recommend those to anyone on a tight budget.

if you can spend a few extra bucks over the cost of the kumhos, the conti dws seems to be the tire to get now. we sell them at the dealership to ra and gts owners all the time with nothing but good results and happy customers.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you very much for that information. I can spend the extra cash on the Continentals if that is the tire to go with.

On a side note, will I need to get the TPMS recalibrated when the new tires are mounted and balanced? It probably says in the owner's manual, but I'm a lazy bum and have yet to open it up.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

I have ASX's on my colt and they're pretty good all seasons. The TPMS will not have to be recalibrated since you are keeping the same rims and just mounting new tires.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

No TPMS calibration needed

I was in your same boat about a month ago. I narrowed it down to the ASX, DWS & Eagle GT. Due to several reviews concerning poor tread life of the ASX, it came down to the Eagle GT's & DWS. Went with the DWS from members posts on here, better snow traction (suspected/assumed) and the longer (again assumed) tread life. I love the DWS and would fully recommend them. I also went with 225/45/18 and I'm happy i did.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:46 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

why not just run two sets?? you live in PA, and im sure you guys get plenty of snow...
Old Feb 2, 2010, 08:55 PM

I purchased the pirelli p zero neros they do just fine Hope this helps you out.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 01:16 AM
Evolving Member

just bought a set of eagle GTs on saturday, had to drive in about 4 inches of snow on the roads and the drive felt very smooth considering the conditions. i dont know about the dws but no complaints with what i got even the gf said the car handled much better. i have a 30 minute drive to work tomorrow.. calling for 18-24 inches.. ill let u all know how that goes
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:58 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Conti DWS's blew away every all season tire that tirerack tested them against. They also have equal if not higher grip in the wet than dry (where you're more likely to approach the limits of grip).
Old Feb 5, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
All-seasons are no seasons, I don't see why you'd buy a car like the Ralliart only to shod it in average grip tires.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
All-seasons are no seasons, I don't see why you'd buy a car like the Ralliart only to shod it in average grip tires.
+1

I am putting on a set of Bridgestone Potenzas later today. They don't have the most grip in the world, but they also don't fall apart at temperatures lower than 40 degrees. (They are classified as "Summer Tires".)
Old Feb 5, 2010, 09:11 AM

I'm a fan of Bridgestone Potenza's. I had a set of G009's and they had great life, 25,000 miles and still had about 40% left. Handled great in the rain and held their own in the snow.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:00 AM

i was also looking up the continental dws and i was about to buy them, but it says that they have a higher load rating than my vehicle so it might cause ride harshness? is that true?

im a complete tire noob, so if its obvious dont yell at me lol.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:58 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Powerslide
i was also looking up the continental dws and i was about to buy them, but it says that they have a higher load rating than my vehicle so it might cause ride harshness? is that true?

im a complete tire noob, so if its obvious dont yell at me lol.
I am skeptical of those tires as well. The tread-wear rating on them is something like 540.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
harshness, maybe a bit more. but the biggest complaint i ever hear about any continentals is that they are a bit noisy, if anything. but compared to the noise that comes off of the stock yokos, its probably about the same

Quick Reply: All-season tires