Notices

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Problems

Not sure if this is really a problem, or just normal, but I've noticed a few things with my brakes lately.

I was getting my car washed, and when they sprayed water on my brakes a giant amount of steam came off, meaning that they were extremely hot. I was driving normally, so it's not like I just got back from a track day or anything.

Also, it seems like the ABS kicks in almost immediately under hard braking, and this has only been happening recently. I've had it happen on bone-dry roads too, so it's not the weather. I know the stock Ralliart brakes are pretty good, so it must be something else. The only thing I could think of are worn brake pads, but the car has only 6500 miles on it, so I doubt that's the case.

Any ideas?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Do not spray water on your brakes!!! Jesus tap-dancing christ, what happens when metal cools quickly? It cracks. Brakes are supposedly to be hot, of course steam is going to come off of them.
If the ABS is kicking in, it means the brakes are overpowering the tires causing them to lock.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Do not spray water on your brakes!!! Jesus tap-dancing christ, what happens when metal cools quickly? It cracks.
So I guess he shouldn't drive in the rain either? Unless the brakes are glowing orange, getting them wet isn't going to cause any damage. Caron steel is a pretty resilient material, and cycles well going from hot to cold.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jkennedy293
So I guess he shouldn't drive in the rain either? Unless the brakes are glowing orange, getting them wet isn't going to cause any damage. Caron steel is a pretty resilient material, and cycles well going from hot to cold.
When is rain sprayed directly at your rotors? The issue isn't merely that water is contacting the rotor but the quantity (and the manner in which it is being applied). If you're spraying water directly onto the rotors, the quantity is high and the water will definitely make contact with the rotor surface.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5064803_tell...ew-brakes.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-braki...ling-idea.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5486
Old Feb 4, 2010, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

When is rain sprayed directly at your rotors? The issue isn't merely that water is contacting the rotor but the quantity (and the manner in which it is being applied). If you're spraying water directly onto the rotors, the quantity is high and the water will definitely make contact with the rotor surface.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5064803_tell...ew-brakes.html
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-braki...ling-idea.html
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5486
I'm guessing every time you go through a puddle, your rotors are going to get wet.

Steel is a very tough and durable material, unless you get it to glow orange, you haven't come anywhere close to the limits of its material properties.

Squirting slightly cold water (car wash water can't be any colder than about 68 degrees) won't do anything but create a bit of steam.

If water was that dangerous to hot rotors, there would be a lot more stories on the news.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

im not trying to defend amby but com'n guys why does everything he say, you have to argue with??
its common sense that you shouldn't directly spray water onto the rotors..
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Not to mention the fact that if you drive through a puddle, you are probably already driving in cool, wet, humid, etc. conditions. Your brakes probably aren't that hot to begin with. Even if they are, if you drive through a puddle, the rotor is protected by the rim and tire (the water splashes away from it. And if you are driving through deep enough standing water that it actually touches the brake rotors: a) you weren't going that fast to begin with and b) you have more to worry about than compromised brake integrity.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing every time you go through a puddle, your rotors are going to get wet.

Steel is a very tough and durable material, unless you get it to glow orange, you haven't come anywhere close to the limits of its material properties.

Squirting slightly cold water (car wash water can't be any colder than about 68 degrees) won't do anything but create a bit of steam.

If water was that dangerous to hot rotors, there would be a lot more stories on the news.
There's a difference between a splash of water from a puddle and a dunking from a car wash. You're welcome to warp your rotors if you want though.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Not to mention the fact that if you drive through a puddle, you are probably already driving in cool, wet, humid, etc. conditions. Your brakes probably aren't that hot to begin with. Even if they are, if you drive through a puddle, the rotor is protected by the rim and tire (the water splashes away from it. And if you are driving through deep enough standing water that it actually touches the brake rotors: a) you weren't going that fast to begin with and b) you have more to worry about than compromised brake integrity.
In all likeliness, at speed, very little water actually touches the rotors because of the wind movement around the tire and the heat of the rotors (assuming there has been some stopping beforehand) evaporating the droplets that get close. However, spraying water on your rotors when you've just come to a stop, like the OP did, is a bad idea. Seriously, I don't see why this needs to turn into an argument. If you don't want to risk warped or cracked rotors, don't spray water on them right after you've stopped.
I'm going to put this here since it seems appropriate

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
Yeah, I'm just frustrated because that misunderstanding has been clarified multiple times, but it just keeps coming back.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
/facepalm

Listen to Amby. Shocking a hot rotor with water is just unwise.

Is it cold where you are? Cold tires will slip more under braking, causing the ABS to kick if hitting the brakes that hard.

And OEM brake pads are meh. There are upgrades that bite better.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Just let the car cool down a good 30mins before washing.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I guess he shouldn't drive in the rain either?

I didn't get the part where amby said: "Never allow water to touch your High Holy brake rotors." He was commenting on how you probably shouldn't go out of your way to spray them when washing a hot car. How is that not a reasonable suggestion?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by NFSLancerRA

I didn't get the part where amby said: "Never allow water to touch your High Holy brake rotors." He was commenting on how you probably shouldn't go out of your way to spray them when washing a hot car. How is that not a reasonable suggestion?
Because I drive a Subaru.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Do not spray water on your brakes!!! Jesus tap-dancing christ, what happens when metal cools quickly? It cracks. Brakes are supposedly to be hot, of course steam is going to come off of them.
If the ABS is kicking in, it means the brakes are overpowering the tires causing them to lock.
Amby calm down. The poor guy was just asking a question. Obviously everyone doesn't know as much about cars as you. I know a lot about cars but I know I don't know as much as you do. Give the guy a break. He'll never want to post again. He's just here to learn.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

Because I drive a Subaru.
& a Mazda

I thought everyone know not to do this. Listen to Amby OP.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems