Notices

Painting oem calipers

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 03:52 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting oem calipers

My question to everyone is very simple, do i paint them myself? and if so what type of paint can i use to do this? Is there a caliper paint or should i use some kind of engine paint? Or should i just spend the money for powder coating? how much does this cost and how long is this? and any pics please if you have had them done! Btw i found this lil squirrely kid on here that painted his, they look good however i dont want to have to continually fix em because of cracking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaDYP6oAKl4. Thank you all in advance for help and pics!

AntiBlitz
Old Jun 16, 2010, 03:31 PM
Evolving Member

I've used the G2 Brake Caliper painting kit on my past cars and it was awesome. No cracking or touch ups required. G2 Brake Kit
Best to put the car up on jack stands and remove all wheels and prep are calipers before mixing the paint with the activator.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
X2 for the kit (above).

I rattle canned the engine paint on my Protege5 and it flakes after awhile no matter how clean the caliper is. Has to be re-done every year. Bleah.

I used the G2 paint kit on my HEMI Durango and have not had to touch it since.

I made up some diluted Simple Green[tm] and spray the painted calipers every time i wash the car. It keeps them clean.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just use the caliper kits from autozone made by duplicolor, not hte spray but hte ones you paint on with a brush.

clean them off with the cleaner, paint 2-3 coats on them.

spray them with engine enamel clear 1-2 coats.

ive had mine done th si way for over a year and have not had to do any touchups or anything.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 04:13 AM
Evolving Member

hey thanks guys for the posts, just like to do things right the first time. better to ask people who have learned then to repeat their mistakes.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Btw to everyone who is looking through this i will be posting pics here shortly probably by the end of the week. I bought some G2 red paint hopefully it matches what i have already installed on the car and looks good alongside it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 01:09 PM

A little late but another vote for G2. Just remember you only have so long to put it on once you get it together. And you need to let the vehicle sit for it to dry. So plan the application some evening when you can be without your wheels.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Lol no worries hoss! i got a bike, so if i need to scoot around town a lil bit ill do it on that! lol ya i see that its a long process to let it dry well, but hopefully in the end it will look great and match the car well.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 02:52 PM

I researched G2 and the dupli color kit. I used the dupli color red brush on kit.
1. I removed the calipers from the hub
2. suspended them from the wheel wells with metal coat hangers I cut and shaped.
3. taped off pistons, slide pin boots, drain, lines, etc.
4. cleaned with included cleaner. brushed with aluminum wire brush to remove all oxidation, debris, and corrosion.
5. Cleaned with spray again
6. Cleaned with air compressor
7. Painted with Brush. One coat each caliper, went back around a second time, third time. Read directions. You can not allow too much time in between coats otherwise the paint can wrinkle.
8. I let the car sit for almost two full days during a 90 degree week in Chicago.
9. reassembled everything. Paint cleans easily looks great. I haven't had any problems. But it is still early. I did not clear coat them as others posted they did.
Attached Thumbnails Painting oem calipers-imag0725.jpg   Painting oem calipers-imag0726.jpg   Painting oem calipers-imag0727.jpg   Painting oem calipers-imag0728.jpg  
Old Jul 20, 2010, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

I like!, unfortunately i am at work this week for the next 3 days now not counting today, so i need the car so i wont be able to paint em for a few more days, I'm one of those guys that it kills me to have it sit around in a box and i cannot play with it.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

ok finally did it and took pics for everyone to see
Attached Thumbnails Painting oem calipers-0728002224.jpg   Painting oem calipers-0728002337.jpg   Painting oem calipers-0804001753.jpg  
Old Aug 8, 2010, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Good job Blitz, looks good
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:51 AM

You guys are using Brushes to paint the calipers? I took them apart and took out the pads and the rotors off stuffed newspaper in side the caliper and sprayed them easier and faster.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
^ you can BUT It doesn't seem to hold up as well in the long run. It tends to flake off.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
^ you can BUT It doesn't seem to hold up as well in the long run. It tends to flake off.
it just depends on the paint you use. i brushed on high heat rustoleum black on my old car's calipers and it's lasted years of snow, salt, rain and hard driving.

chipping/flaking paint usually occurs when the surface isn't properly prepped (ie oil from fingerprints on the surface) or incorrect paint used.

Quick Reply: Painting oem calipers