Notices

TPMS help... don't want to get ripped off.!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS help... don't want to get ripped off.!

So I foolishly put metal stem caps on and left them on during a Chicago winter. FOCK! So they fused to the stem and when I attempted to take them off have cracked the stem and the tire has gone flat... SOB!

So I call Discount tire and tell them and they think I need a whole new sensor, but it looks like the stem and the sensor are 2 separate pieces and therefore I would only need a new stem to be replaced, which saves $50 per tire...

Can anyone confirm this so I don't get ripped off?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

I dont know this for sure, but, I think when those sensors are not pressurized the are no good anymore. This is why you see a lot of guys coming up with weird capsules to hold the TPMS until they put them on their new wheels. Again, I am not sure, I am just basing it off the fact that people do use the capsules and if so, it would make sense why I assume that. Someone will chime in here
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

People use capsules so they DON'T have to put them on the new rims. They usually put the sensors in a pressurized capsule in the trunk so the the light on the dash doesn't come on.

If the sensor didn't work after not being pressurized, you would never be able to get a flat or replace your tires.

As far as getting a new stem, it may just be that Mitsubishi doesn't sell the parts seperately. I would check with your local dealer to see what they can do for you.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:22 PM

I don't think the sensors are ruined if they are depressurized as that would imply that anyone that gets a flat would have to pay for a new sensor... and I don't think the little tricks are 100%, so I plan to keep the sensors working...

But if they have to replace them they're $50+ each tire versus $7 per tire to just replace the stem...

Hopefully they will tell the truth tomorrow, but I would rather know for sure before hand.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:53 PM

I don't know if the TPMS are aftermarket or not, but I broke one of my stock TPMS when trying to put air in my tire. I took the car to the dealer and they replaced it under warranty.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
the sensors are, in fact, one piece. the stem that appears separate from the sensor is actually not. it is designed to flex to fit multiple rim styles, but it is attached to the main sensor portion via a thin metallic strip for purposes unknown to me.

you are not going to find anyone who can piece it out, and the cheapest you'll find a sensor that i know of is at alltiresupply dot com, and they're like 40ish bucks there, so for 50 from discount tire with no wait time and all, its probably just worth it to get it from them. or come into the dealership and let us have a look first, before you spend any money, just in case there's some way we can help.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the info Chi-town... I ended up just replacing the one sensor, but the other 3 will need to be. My fock up, so I will pay the price when I take those crappy summer tires off this fall.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 02:25 PM

Hello there,

I know you already replaced it and it's a bit late, but IMHO, this statement is wrong:

Originally Posted by djson80
So I foolishly put metal stem caps on and left them on during a Chicago winter. FOCK! So they fused to the stem and when I attempted to take them off have cracked the stem and the tire has gone flat... SOB!
I have two sets of TPMS: one on my winter steel wheels, and one for summer rims. (I know, I know, I got ripped off and now I have to pay to have them reprogrammed twice a year....)

My winter TPMS have already gone through 3 winters, and the caps never fused and I'm not worried about it. This is the first time I hear about something like this happening. I think we have pretty much the same winter conditions you and I, so unless you overtightened them like crazy, this was not normal.

IMHO, your dealer should have replaced it on warranty. But then again, it's you against them arguing about who's responsible...tough luck...

Just my 2 cents...

Ciao!
Old Aug 9, 2010, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AcidReflux
Hello there,

I know you already replaced it and it's a bit late, but IMHO, this statement is wrong:

I have two sets of TPMS: one on my winter steel wheels, and one for summer rims. (I know, I know, I got ripped off and now I have to pay to have them reprogrammed twice a year....)

My winter TPMS have already gone through 3 winters, and the caps never fused and I'm not worried about it. This is the first time I hear about something like this happening. I think we have pretty much the same winter conditions you and I, so unless you overtightened them like crazy, this was not normal.

IMHO, your dealer should have replaced it on warranty. But then again, it's you against them arguing about who's responsible...tough luck...

Just my 2 cents...

Ciao!
with aftermarket metal valve stem caps, they will seize onto the stem and will only come off once the upper portion of the stem has broken off inside the cap 90% of the time. thats why they specifically tell you to only use certain acceptable valve stem caps or the warranty is voided for that specific reason.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:01 AM

Humm...first time I hear about "aftermarket" stem caps.

How many ft-lbs you gain with that?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

well, the anodized ones only give you like 1 per corner, for a net gain of 4 lb/ft, but if you get the chrome skulls with the gem eyes, you get like 3 per corner and a full set works in unison to net a total of 20 "butt-dyno" proven lb/ft gain, lmao

on a more serious side, though, just dont put s.s. caps on an aluminum stem and expect your car to exist outside the laws of science, especially if you live in an area that salts during the winter

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Aug 10, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Try spraying the remaining three with BreakFree[tm] and let them set over night. Then use a pair of pliers to hold the stem and another to unscrew the cap (if possible)...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

In New Jersey corrosion eats cars alive, and TPMS is a big money maker at my shop. Ive even taken a 3 hour course just to learn more about them. The GREY plastic valve stem cap has rubber inside to help seal out moisture. The normal classic BLACK cap is just a cap thats it. Also GREEN means the tire is filled with nitrogine, FYI. Some auto manufactures come with metal valve caps and they will fail at some point. They crush easy so they might be egg shaped so its harder to install and remove, they can "fuse" themselves to the metal stem. You can cut them off but that is even tricky. Some manufactors like GM now use a two piece sensor, the rubber valve stem uses a torq screw to hold the TPMS together. Its funny that my OEM Ralliart sensor says Diamler Chrylser on them lol. I install tires very often at work and once a week i run into a customer with a TPMS problem. BTW the batterys in the sensors, they only have a 5-7 yr life so down the road EVERYone will have a light on the dash pop up.