Notices

Broken Wheel Studs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Wheel Studs

I have had 2 wheel studs break when switching from my winter rims to my summer rims. Has any else had this problem and if so is it hard to swap them out for new ones?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RalliartMike15
I have had 2 wheel studs break when switching from my winter rims to my summer rims. Has any else had this problem and if so is it hard to swap them out for new ones?
Depends on where it broke but it should be a simple fix for a tire shop. It happens all the time.

If they are both on the same wheel be very careful driving and get it fixed soon. If its just 1 on 2 wheels you should be fine, but just get it fixed as soon as possible.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Front or rear? The fronts are much easier to bang out and install a new one, but not a terrible task either way.

As asked already, was it both on one spindle or two different ones? Definitely makes life a little easier if you only have to work on one, but also more dangerous and urgent that you get it taken care of.

Either way, just don't beat on it and rip around turns and such until it's fixed, though that should be pretty obvious.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive had this happen to me before cause i over torqued it a bit, i had the dealership do it they charged me 30$
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Both left and right fronts have one partially broken stud. I can get a lug nut on them but I cant run my spacers. So I was just curious if this could be a weekend project. sounds like I should be able to do it on my own and replace all of them with higher quality studs.

Last edited by RalliartMike15; Mar 31, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If you feel confident changing brakes and the like, it should be a diy project for you then if it's the fronts.

Just unbolt the caliper and turn the wheel so you can see the backside of the broken stud on the hub behind the rotor where the caliper used to be (hope that makes sense). Then, you literally pound the old stud out with a hammer. Push the new stud in as far as you can by hand and use a few washers on the threaded end of the stud and tighten the lugnut on there drawng the stud the rest of the way into place.

Let me know if there's anything else you need help with. Worst case, I can get you a price if you feel like driving up to the dealer here.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by RalliartMike15

Same here, I broke one stud. Driver front and took to mavis tire to get replaced. I already had bought a new one from Mitsu.