Notices

Ordered new Rotors Today

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered new Rotors Today (Update 5-23-2011)

After months of seraching late night for the right aftermarket rotors, I think I may have found them. Centric stoptech premium rotors machined by DRT to include through drilling and slots. Only $250 for the front and rear, and they should work well with my EBC redstuff brake pads.

Last edited by RideSober; May 23, 2011 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Update
Old May 19, 2011, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
care to share a link?
Old May 19, 2011, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
care to share a link?
My pleasure

http://www.drt-sport.com/catalog/4521

Apparently in the past there were some concerns about fitment, and I recall reading a post (possibly even on this board) about fitment problems. I was told twice that the manufacturer has guaranteed fitment, so am not expecting any isues with the install, but I guess I will only know for certain once I get started.

Here is some more information I found on line about them using Centric rotor blanks, and confirmed in my discussions.

Sport Rotor 101:
Stock rotors have very poor ventilation it leads to premature warping, brake fade and reduction of the life of the braking components. DRT sport brake rotors are designed to replace your stock rotors and increase brake performance. This type of brake rotor is used on race cars and it comes standard only on very expensive European sport cars. Now you can have the same technology for your everyday cars, trucks and SUV's.
  • Reduce operating temperature
  • Prevent warping
  • Prevent fading
  • Fast degassing
  • Increase pad grip
  • Reduced stopping distance
  • Prolong rotor and pad life
  • Shed off water under wet-condition
  • compatible with stock calipers, pads, wheels
DRT Rotors: Our premium grade rotors are the same as StopTech, Power Slot. Centric supply us the same blanks. The only different is our price it is much lower.
Knife Edge Slot: The end of each slot is machined at an angle with a ramp. The ramp helps to channel out brake dust and gasses away from the rotor.
DRT vs. Others: Don't be fooled by other sellers that take low quality rotors and zinc plate them. If you start with a low quality metal you will get low quality product. Changing the aesthetic will not make it a better product, it has to start from the raw material. Some seller triple the price of a low quality product and give you longer warranty to make you believe that you are getting high quality product.
DRT Sport rotors are made from Centric Premium grade 120 series rotors. Only the very best raw material use. It is casted and machined to the exact specification as the OEM rotors.
E-Coating: Centric premium rotors utilize an Electrocoating finish that provides long lasting corrosion protection. E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting. Braking surface are un-coated to improve brake pad bedding process.
Centric Premium:Don’t be fooled by inferior products that claim to be premium. Only Centric Premium black rotors feature Original Equipment specifications and production processes. All Centric rotors are manufactured to meet QS and ISO Quality System Standards. Our global suppliers have already passed these stringent quality assurance standards because they currently supply products to OE manufacturers.
More info about centric: www.centricparts.com

Double Disc Ground: Centric premium rotors feature a double disc ground, taper free finish. Double disc grinding ensures parallelism, eliminates run out and provides near perfect disc thickness variation (DTV). Double disc grinding leaves a non-directional finish on the friction surface area for more effective pad-rotor break in. This special finish also provides quieter and smoother stops.
Centric Others

Machined Finishes: Centric premium rotors feature 100% fully machined finishes including rotor hats. This extra process provides better rotor balance and creates a cleaner, more finished looking component. In addition, all Centric rotors are inspected for balance and mill-corrected to a tolerance of less than 2oz. per inch
Centric Others

Split Castings: O.E. specification center-split core castings provide proper heat transfer and thermal efficiency, resulting in superior braking power and safety.
Centric Others

Mill Balancing: Centric brake rotors are mill balanced to a tolerance of less than 2oz. per inch. This additional machining operation reduces feedback associated with rotor vibration and provides a smooth confident application of braking force.
Old May 19, 2011, 05:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really like Centric products. Good choice!
Old May 19, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

Very nice. What diameter are these rotors?
Old May 19, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Do the hats actually come drilled out like that? I've been looking for a lightweight 2-piece option that'll fit with the stock setup, but this seems like a more cost-effective alternative until I find something else.
Old May 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please post pics when these are on I might pick up a set too. Is it bad to get both drilled and slotted on a rotor?
Old May 19, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah whats best? Drilled+Slotted, Drilled or Slotted?
Old May 19, 2011, 10:52 AM

On the DRT site when they say Qty:1, does that mean 1 rotor or 1 set of 2 rotors?
Old May 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
Please post pics when these are on I might pick up a set too. Is it bad to get both drilled and slotted on a rotor?
SmikeEvo (iirc) has an AMAZING write-up on this very topic somewhere on the boards here. I'll try to find it. I'm personally sticking with slotted-only
Old May 19, 2011, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure if this is the one you're referring to, but it's by SmikeEvo, and looks like it covers a lot of info... i've only just started reading it myself...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ead-evo-x.html
Old May 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, here's the original from the CT9A Evo section: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ct-thread.html

If you ever have any braking/handling type questions and nobody seems able to answer them SmikeEvo is the guy to ask. Friggin genius when it comes to this sort of thing
Old May 20, 2011, 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

The Centric rotors showed up today, and they look quite nice. Shipping was fast, and they look just like I expected. They are cross drilled, chamfered, and slotted. I may clean a drill burr or two out before I install them so they look and cool as best as possible.

Part numbers shipped are:

120.46078 (F)
120.46074(R)

Since they need to be installed to turn in the proper direction, each rotor box was also clearly labeled as to FR, FL, RR, or RL.

I have already verified directly with Centric customer service that those are the correct part numbers for our cars.

I have a few other projects in the works, so it might be a week or so before I get these installed. I'll take a photo or two after I get them installed with the redstuff pads.

In reply to the question above about the DRT site and rotor order quantity, these rotors are sold by the front or rear set, so they seem reasonably priced to me.
Old May 20, 2011, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

When it comes time to install, if you think of it, would you mind throwing one front and one rear on a scale and get a weight measurement?
Old May 23, 2011, 05:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03chi-town0Z
When it comes time to install, if you think of it, would you mind throwing one front and one rear on a scale and get a weight measurement?
No problem, the weights are: (F) 16.5 lb, (R) 12 lb.

Here are some photos, I cleaned out a few small cross drilling burrs on the front rotors with my drill press.

Quick Reply: Ordered new Rotors Today