Notices

Do coilovers really make that big of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 01:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do coilovers really make that big of a difference?

Our cars are specced very similar to Evo's but there's a bit of a geometry difference. however, on a stock car we are already grip machines. I'm a big fan of doing it right. well I'm eyeing these kw Variant 2's + HLS. Gives coilovers, gives drop, gives the ability to still drive over major dips/bumps/etc...

but my question is towards a numbers junkie and the guy with the high tech butt dyno.

Do Coilovers really make a different in grip with our cars? After I got out of drifting I became obsessed with Grip. I'm of course prepared for the stiff ride, but only if it's really at the expense of better grip.

Thank You.
Old May 24, 2011, 07:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the big differences is the adjustment options.

Balancing understeer and oversteer can be helped by running different damper settings front and rear.

Coilovers usually allow camber adjustment too - I have 1 degree dialled in and it's perfect.
Old May 24, 2011, 11:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
Our cars are specced very similar to Evo's but there's a bit of a geometry difference. however, on a stock car we are already grip machines. I'm a big fan of doing it right. well I'm eyeing these kw Variant 2's + HLS. Gives coilovers, gives drop, gives the ability to still drive over major dips/bumps/etc...

but my question is towards a numbers junkie and the guy with the high tech butt dyno.

Do Coilovers really make a different in grip with our cars? After I got out of drifting I became obsessed with Grip. I'm of course prepared for the stiff ride, but only if it's really at the expense of better grip.

Thank You.
There is a lot of difference between the EVO and Ralliart / Lancer platform. The design of the suspension setup is drastically different. While the Ralliart may appear to be a gripping machine. Keep in mind that the Stability / Traction control system lifted from an EVO 8 /9 is what makes up for the Ralliarts short comings. Namely the suspension. Springs and Kyb struts are optimized for Long Life and Comfort. Not handling. Upgrading your suspension to a good set of coilovers will shock you.

Simply put, upgrading your suspension will allow your car to not heavily rely on stability assistance. The distribution of weight in corning will be greatly improved. You will begin to realize what your true traction limits are when it comes to your tires, suspension and stability control systems. Currently, your being given a false sense of security.

If you have anyone around you that has upgraded suspension in the form of good street / track, or full on track coilovers. Take a ride in that at the limits to get an idea of what your missing.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:58 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I remember the day I went from stock to coilovers on my 240sx(S13). Not even a close comparison. I just am not intimitely familiar with our suspension geometry against an evo's. I'm sure that the weight control + the AWC systems put together will make the car damn near unbreakable. the only thing I will regret is on the rare occasion I have to park in the grass somewhere... never fun on coilovers lol.

thanks for the insight guys.
Old May 25, 2011, 01:21 AM

Stock suspension is usualy nothing special, a good Lowered spring and shock combo is good, a good set of coils with all the adjustments are better yet makes things easier and you can pla around with setting and height until you get something that suits your needs.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by h4ckluserr
Do Coilovers really make a different in grip with our cars? ....

Thank You.
Night and day. ALL I changed is installing BC RAM's (8k/8k) and a decent alignment.. totally transformed the handling... this thing was pathetic as delivered now it is on par (though max grip is limited by stock RA tire width and compound) with with both my VIII and X when they were stock suspension. I would wager to say it even handles better than the X did since this one does it without sawc, which I never liked.
Old May 25, 2011, 09:24 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by evo_soul
Keep in mind that the Stability / Traction control
Just FYI, there was no stability / traction control on the Evo 8/9. The Ralliart has the Evo 10 drivetrain without AYC.

I'm not sure why this whole "ralliart has the evo 9 drivetrain" thing started going around.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not sure why this whole "ralliart has the evo 9 drivetrain" thing started going around.
I thought I've read in several places that the RA uses the AWC of the Evo 9??
Old May 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
I thought I've read in several places that the RA uses the AWC of the Evo 9??
Sure, if you think because they share AWD, ACD and front and rear LSD, but so does the Evo 10.

The RA shares more with the Evo 10 drivetrain then the Evo 8/9.

Both RA/Evo 10 have ASC where Evo 8/9 do not.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Sure, if you think because they share AWD, ACD and front and rear LSD, but so does the Evo 10.

The RA shares more with the Evo 10 drivetrain then the Evo 8/9.

Both RA/Evo 10 have ASC where Evo 8/9 do not.
lmao I think nearly the whole world has thought otherwise since the RA comes out
Old May 25, 2011, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Ahhh, good to know!
Old May 25, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I think this came about because major publications have stated "essentially evo IX drive train mated to the TC-SST minus S-Sport"...

a lot of car rag writers will publish stuff like that because of making assumptions based on "features" that are advertised/published by the manufacturer...
Old May 26, 2011, 01:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by razorlab
Just FYI, there was no stability / traction control on the Evo 8/9. The Ralliart has the Evo 10 drivetrain without AYC.

Forgive my over simplification. The jist of what I was trying to express was the level of handling capability based on the stability enhanced / driving assist, and where the Ralliart stands compared to the EVO X and 9.

What I should have done was be more clear on the mechanical side of things.

"The dual-clutch gearbox drives all four of the '09 Lancer Ralliart's wheels through an all-wheel-drive system with an active center differential. Just as in the Evo VIII, IX and X, the driver can choose from Tarmac, Gravel and Snow driving modes. Although the Ralliart won't have the Evo X's Active Yaw Control (AYC) feature, it still has a mechanical rear limited-slip differential and a helical LSD up front."
http://www.insideline.com/mitsubishi...-ralliart.html

The confusing over evo 9 vs. ralliart vs. 10 platform is getting a bit too common., your right.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Back on topic...
Having gone from stock to coilover sleeves and konis to full aluminum body coilovers to eibach springs and kybs on my first car, its a huge advantage! Having tried 3 aftermarket setups on one platform really helped me see the pros and cons of each and i'd never just buy springs and aftermarket dampeners again.

The level of adjustability combined with smooth road handling for full threaded body coilovers is amazing. You might think "this is going to he rough". Its not! You can adjust the dampening to get the ride frequency you want. I found lowering springs in all my previous cars to make thecar much more bouncy, even with aftermarket shocks. I think this is in part because theyre not valved to match the spring rate as well as a coilover setup is.

My cousin had Tein RAs in his EG with 12k and 8k coils and i couldnt believe how smooth they were. I expected a bone jarring ride in a lightweight hatch and coils that stiff. Since then i've always had faith in the Tein brand and i have Tein Flex in my car. Its lowered to their "recommended" setting and set almost full hard, with a few turns softer in front. I love the ride feel; no skipping on rippled pavement and very little bounce. Front camber plates are max negative at around 2 degrees. I love the turn in, quick responsiveness and predictable follow through.

One other thing u'll notice is better acceleration feel because it doesnt squat so hard when you mash the throttle. Same goes for braking; less dive. Everything feels more controllable and stable.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mad_SB
Night and day. ALL I changed is installing BC RAM's (8k/8k) and a decent alignment.. totally transformed the handling... this thing was pathetic as delivered now it is on par (though max grip is limited by stock RA tire width and compound) with with both my VIII and X when they were stock suspension. I would wager to say it even handles better than the X did since this one does it without sawc, which I never liked.
which part number were the coilovers you got? im looking to get some for my 09 RA

Quick Reply: Do coilovers really make that big of a difference?