Notices

Works springs :(

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2011, 01:51 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Works springs :(

I installed some works springs at the beginning of this week. They were advertised as 1.2-1.5" drop but after about a week they have settled to nearly 2" lower than stock.

I had the alignment done with the ingalls cam bolts.

After 1 quick run up through my local fun road in Palos Verdes I am ready to put the stock springs back on. It handles much better with the stock setup and had much less understeer since it wouldn't bottom out as easily. I even cut down the bumpstops quite a bit when I installed the springs

I know that many of you already know that the stock dampers are pretty much poo poo but after 30k miles of use I bet they are even more poo poo ish. Such a shame that we don't get any support from companies like Bilstein etc in the U.S. with better dampers.

So anyways, if anyone is interested in some Works springs for cheap hit me up!

I'll more than likely be installing some coilovers very soon.

Before:

After:
Old Aug 7, 2011, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yip
I installed some works springs at the beginning of this week. They were advertised as 1.2-1.5" drop but after about a week they have settled to nearly 2" lower than stock.

I had the alignment done with the ingalls cam bolts.

After 1 quick run up through my local fun road in Palos Verdes I am ready to put the stock springs back on. It handles much better with the stock setup and had much less understeer since it wouldn't bottom out as easily. I even cut down the bumpstops quite a bit when I installed the springs
If your camber is anything like mine, you'd have to increase the negative camber on the front to counteract the increased negative camber at the rear. I lowered my car w/ H&R springs, and the camber at the rear ended up over -1. I used Eibach camber bolts for the front, and had the shop set the front camber to -0.5.

IF I left them to their own devices, they would have set it to 0 camber to bring it in line w/ stock. Setting the front camber to 0 while the rear is at -1 would make understeer ridiculous. With my current setup my -0.5 camber at the front and -1 at the rear still understeers more than stock, but I know I can tune it out with the camber bolts.

I recently found white line rear camber bushings that'll adjust the rear camber +/-0.5 deg. I'm planning to grab a set of those

Anyway, if your front camber wasn't adjusted so that it was equal to or more negative than the rear, then the increase in understeer should be expected.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 09:08 PM
yip
Evolving Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by nunyas
If your camber is anything like mine, you'd have to increase the negative camber on the front to counteract the increased negative camber at the rear. I lowered my car w/ H&R springs, and the camber at the rear ended up over -1. I used Eibach camber bolts for the front, and had the shop set the front camber to -0.5.

IF I left them to their own devices, they would have set it to 0 camber to bring it in line w/ stock. Setting the front camber to 0 while the rear is at -1 would make understeer ridiculous. With my current setup my -0.5 camber at the front and -1 at the rear still understeers more than stock, but I know I can tune it out with the camber bolts.

I recently found white line rear camber bushings that'll adjust the rear camber +/-0.5 deg. I'm planning to grab a set of those

Anyway, if your front camber wasn't adjusted so that it was equal to or more negative than the rear, then the increase in understeer should be expected.
Thanks for the advice. The car was aligned by West End alignment here in Socal that specializes in track and performance cars. They installed camber adjusting bolts and setup the alignment for more aggressive driving.

I have a feeling that even with a minor drop that the swift springs offer it still would handle worse than the stock spring damper setup. On the other hand putting a set of stickier tires on made a night and day difference!
Old Aug 8, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your front roll center is now below ground level....