Notices

brake worn out after a year?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question brake worn out after a year?

Hey everyone.

I purchased a 2009 Ralliart used in 2012 with 146,000 KM on the odometer. Sale agreement was that new pads and rotors would be installed on my brakes.

I'm now at 156,000 KM, and several people have told me my brakes are almost done. I checked myself and they do seem thin in between the caliper and the disc. There is no sign of uneven wear, the car doesn't pull to one side while braking, the few shops that inspected my vehicle said nothing about it, including a 150point inspection done by Mitsubishi itself about three months ago.

I called the dealer and asked them if they failed to install the new brakes as promised but they said new parts were indeed installed. They told me it might be the calipers causing wear too fast (or else it's me that's driving them too hard...)

Just to clarify, I do NOT race with this car. It's mostly for going to work, but I do drive a bit "spirited" as some people describe it.

So my questions are:

1- Do you guys have any clue what this caliper issue might be that would cause early, yet even brake wear?

2- Is it possible at ALL for someone to wear out brakes in less than 10,000KM of normal city driving with a bit of a spirited driver in the seat?

I'm trying to protect myself here, because if my extended warranty doesn't cover it, I would rather spend money on aftermarkets than buy new stock parts at inflated prices. So that means I don't want to bring it in to Mitsu right away, because they will charge me for an inspection.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I srsly doubt they were changed. Hard to prove now.

Just install nice aftermarket ones yourself (easy job) or have any other shop than Mitsu do it (why reward them?)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
They didn't change em. Happens all the time.

I installed a new in-cabin air filter, FRAM then a week later went to the dealer for my 30k service. The invoice said "installed in-cabin filter".

Went home, yep, FRAM was still in there.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:55 PM

Wow that's illegal. Why do they get away with this?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:22 PM

So, does anyone know how I would go about knowing how old are the breaks visually? Is that possible? If they screwed me out of new brakes I am thinking I will take them to court. I'm not a dunce mechanically, but I've never serviced my own car brakes. Most of my mech experience is college Aircraft Maintenance classes, which is not always applicable to cars. Plus I never worked in the industry afterwards.

Without removing the wheel it looks as if there is some superficial corrosion, just the orange stuff, on the sides of the disc. Nothing major. I only drove it one year (about 10,000km), and we live in a relatively dry climate here, with a winter in between.

If you guys think you can tell visually, I'll take my wheel off and take pics.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 06:42 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Technically the rotor should out last the pads by a wide margin.

The pads are designed to wear away much quicker than the rotor (also much less surface area).

So if both your pads AND rotors are worn to their minimum limits, it's almost impossible that you started with both new rotors and pads.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I really think you are better off just swapping the pads (maybe a $100?) vs. a lawyer. The lawyer letter 'may' make them 'split the cost of the repiar' to avoid arbitration...

Unlike the 'fram' example (above) you really can't 'prove' you did not wear the brakes down that fast. Yes, you would have had to 'ride the brakes every mile' which would have warped the rotors too and would be visible from the extraordinary amount of brake dust on the wheels... but the burden of proof is on you...

Me? I would swap the pads and tell ten people about their shady practice.

It is always a good time to learn how to do it, eh?
Old Aug 23, 2013, 07:06 PM
xi
Evolved Member

Yeah I'd just get new pads. It's DIY, just get a long assed wrench cause those bolts can be stuck on pretty good.