Notices

A general question about Tires,,,,

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A general question about Tires,,,,

Can someone tell me how to differentiate real performance tires and summer tires or regular all season tires?

I know the price is definitely different , but I want to know more about tread pattern and material of rubber.

Nowadays, lots of dealers and retailers told me how good their sport tires are, I feel like I am being scammed...

What should be a real performance tire pattern looks like ? I don't want to spend hundreds dollars and buying their so called "sport" or "performance" tires....
Old Feb 19, 2014, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

check out the tread wear rating - the lower it is, the greater the grip (but at the expense of longevity) i run the hankook rs3 - tread wear 140, i couldn't think of ever going back to a normal road tyre. great on the street and work really well on track as well. i got just under 20k kms on mine which i was surprised with and decent handling in the wet. if going to give it a really hard fang, just check the pressure - hot 34psi works the best

there is always give and take - the gripper the tyre, the quicker it wears out...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
W'peg means you either have the plan to have summer/winter tires (preferred) or plan to get by with 'all season' tires. This decision will guide you.

Let us know and then the recommendations can begin to help you...
Old Feb 19, 2014, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 113 Likes on 101 Posts
You can't judge them visually. Usually a lower tread life rating, no or a low mileage warranty, and beefy tread blocks are good indicators.

I would highly recommend reviewing models against Tire Rack's tire survey:
www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

When picking out tires, it's best to just go read some reviews online. Tirerack is a good source.

There are a lot of different types and sub-types of tires:

- All season and high performance all season tires:
These will be acceptable in all spring-summer-fall conditions. High performance ones will be better in the summer, standard ones won't be too bad for some light winter driving. They are all a compromise though. All seasons usually are designed not to wear too quickly.

- Summer tires:
These will be great in all seasons except for the winter, when they will most certainly try to kill you. There are a lot of different types: grand touring, high performance, ultra high performance, max performance, extreme performance. Ultra high performance summer tires have excellent grip and are fairly comfortable; max performance ones may get a little rough in terms of ride quality, but have insane level of grip; extreme performance ones are basically slicks, so use them on the track. Wear depends not just on the tire's sub-category, but also the rubber that is used. Some great options are the Michelin Pilot Super Sport (that's what I use; the slightly annoying noise and fairly hard ride quality is a tiny price to pay for the massive grip), Bridgestone Potenza RE760, and Hankook Ventus V12 Evo.

- Winter tires:
Great for winter and any weather under 7C, not good for warm weather because the rubber is too soft. They are the only way to get good traction on snow or ice. Michelin, Bridgestone, and Nokian make some great options in this segment. There are also all weather tires, which are basically winter tires usable throughout the entire year.

Last edited by AlDim; Feb 20, 2014 at 12:24 AM.