Notices

Car feels like it's rotating during hard cornering

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car feels like it's rotating during hard cornering

I'm in stock suspension and new tires but I know my tires suck. Would that be the reason for this feeling or am I still just not used to how an AWD car handles?
Old Mar 18, 2014, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

That's the feeling from the LSD (limited-slip differential, not acid).

Basically your car adjusts the power it sends to the left and right wheels to get as much traction as possible and basically force its way around the corner.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 06:33 PM
Evolving Member

I had an LSD in my 06 Spec-V Sentra but it was FWD so totally different. Thanks for the reply I'll just have to get used to how this car handles.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

Here's some nice info about the setup they have on the Ralliart:

"Limited-Slip Front and Rear Front Differentials

A helical gear-type limited-slip front differential reacts to torque input to govern side-to-side torque distribution at the front wheels. A mechanical limited-slip differential performs that task for the rear wheels.

The helical limited slip front differential, which is installed in the ACD transfer case, constantly biases torque to the wheel that has more traction. This type of differential reacts to torque input. Under straight-line acceleration, power remains evenly split between the front wheels. While cornering or accelerating out of a turn, the helical LSD directs power away from the inside wheel and toward the outside wheel, allowing the driver to begin accelerating earlier and exit the turn at a higher speed, without losing traction.

The helical front differential can also compensate for loss of traction when the front wheels are on slippery surfaces, biasing torque to the wheel with the best traction. In the rear, a plate-style, 1.5-way limited slip differential (also inherited from the previous-generation Lancer Evolution) is a competition-proven design for providing traction and durability."

I find the way the AWD system is setup on the Evo and Ralliart definitely has a fairly unique feel to it, but it's hard to go back to anything else after you get used to it. With nice tires it is even more impressive.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 04:05 AM
Evolving Member

Wow! Thank you. That made it click. Thinking of the drivetrain as BOTH a FWD and a RWD car with LSDs makes a lot of sense.