Notices

DONE: AMS Reflash & Boost Pill!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2009, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. But if I do anyting to my car. I want it to be running fine. I'm all the way up in NY. I'd love to get more power out of my RA.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so this is as simple as sending your ecu to AMS? basically unplug it, send it in, then it comes back and plug it back in thats all?
Old Jul 5, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

You will still need to install the boost pill yourself.

Buy the cable and get them to email flash to you and do it yourself, then no chance of losing, or damaging your ECU.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thats correct all u have to do is mail them your ecu, then you put in the boost pill its really easy to do.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 08Lancer89
thats correct all u have to do is mail them your ecu, then you put in the boost pill its really easy to do.
ahem... that's a b!tch! pain in the **** to remove the damn vacuum hose
Old Jul 7, 2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Drows
You will still need to install the boost pill yourself.

Buy the cable and get them to email flash to you and do it yourself, then no chance of losing, or damaging your ECU.

Which cable is it your talking about? I am really interested to do this mod but I can not afford to be without the car for an extended period of time.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talonralliart
Which cable is it your talking about? I am really interested to do this mod but I can not afford to be without the car for an extended period of time.
the cable with a T connector in the middle that comes out of the upper intercooler pipe , right where it connects to the turbo all the way behind the headers, by the firewall.... hum.... should have posted a picture or someone else will soon
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
He is talking about a tactrix cable. It's available from their website for ~$140 if I recall correctly.

We offer same day return shipping when we receive ECUs for flashing. If you opt to purchase overnight shipping both ways, it's a few short days to return it. Send it out on Monday night, receive it on Wednesday morning.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
Evolving Member

The cable is a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 cable found here
http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?cPath=24_48
You just need the cable ($169) not all the adapters (for older model cars), software links can be found there as well for ECUflash. It's easy to do, and car isn't down at all (ok it takes 2 mins to flash, so your car is down 2 mins :P and a few mins to install boost pill)
Old Jul 7, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

hahaha! my bad!
Old Jul 8, 2009, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by AutoMotoSports
He is talking about a tactrix cable. It's available from their website for ~$140 if I recall correctly.

We offer same day return shipping when we receive ECUs for flashing. If you opt to purchase overnight shipping both ways, it's a few short days to return it. Send it out on Monday night, receive it on Wednesday morning.
If I purchased the cable, could they e mail me flash tunes? So say I got the initial flash and boost pill, afterwards I could add an intake and just get them to e mail a new tune to me??

Thanks a lot for your help
Old Jul 8, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

If I purchased the cable, could they e mail me flash tunes? So say I got the initial flash and boost pill, afterwards I could add an intake and just get them to e mail a new tune to me??

In my opinion, anything beyond a base reflash deserves a protune. Even on a bone stock engine, the base reflash will not net you as much power as you'd get out of a professional tune, but the differences are not worth the price. Once you start adding on a number of different performance parts that tuners creating universal maps can't account for, the difference in power between the cookie-cutter maps and the protunes becomes greater and greater.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

I know you can do this with AMS, probably with others as well.

Old Jul 9, 2009, 06:33 AM
Evolving Member

Adding an intake you're not going to gain that much more power, certainly not enough to justify a custom tune. A cookie cutter mail in tune (if that's what you started with) would be fine IMO (I'm by no means an expert, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong). The cookie cutter gets you roughly 50WHP and 50T, yes you could probably do better with a custom tune, but as you said not enough to justify extra costs.
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
In my opinion, anything beyond a base reflash deserves a protune. Even on a bone stock engine, the base reflash will not net you as much power as you'd get out of a professional tune, but the differences are not worth the price. Once you start adding on a number of different performance parts that tuners creating universal maps can't account for, the difference in power between the cookie-cutter maps and the protunes becomes greater and greater.
Old Jul 9, 2009, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drows
Adding an intake you're not going to gain that much more power, certainly not enough to justify a custom tune. A cookie cutter mail in tune (if that's what you started with) would be fine IMO (I'm by no means an expert, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong). The cookie cutter gets you roughly 50WHP and 50T, yes you could probably do better with a custom tune, but as you said not enough to justify extra costs.
That's why I said, "...once you start adding on a number of performance parts..." I didn't mean to imply getting a protune for only a CAI or short ram, though every modification someone does beyond stock would add to the need for a protune.

Quick Reply: DONE: AMS Reflash & Boost Pill!