Notices

Oil for the ra

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil for the ra

What oil is best for the car?

I have been using Mobil 1 synthetic for this car. The manual says 5W 20 but my dealer has been using 5W 30 ( he has checked with Mitsu corporate) and says its fine. Is it?

The 20 being thinner than the 30 of course.... but the RA manual just stated a different oil than what the delaer is using..just curious. I know the turbo cars have a tighter spec on the oil to be used, with regards to viscosity that is.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

From my understanding, many manufacturers in the U.S. have been using 5w-20 to help improve emissions, at the expense of engine life some say. There is a very good chance that the R/A manual in Europe, Japan, and Australia recommends 5w-30, and that's probably your best bet. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding oil, so you should probably just do a search. Simply put, many people would argue that there is much better synthetic oil out there than Mobil1 (which isn't truly synthetic anyways).
Old Jun 10, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madcows
From my understanding, many manufacturers in the U.S. have been using 5w-20 to help improve emissions, at the expense of engine life some say. There is a very good chance that the R/A manual in Europe, Japan, and Australia recommends 5w-30, and that's probably your best bet. There are plenty of posts on this forum regarding oil, so you should probably just do a search. Simply put, many people would argue that there is much better synthetic oil out there than Mobil1 (which isn't truly synthetic anyways).
Thanks, appreciate the info.......what you say makes sense.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't argue there isn't better synthetic and regular motors out there. But when it comes down to pricing, availability and above all reliability and quality of Mobil1 synthetic motor oils there isn't much out there to compare.

Many car manufacturers recommend Mobil1 in their high-end and performance type engines because of the aforementioned reasons. I think even the Evo X recommends Mobil1 as well.

Herer is my off-topic suggestion: I change my own oil and go a little overboard with the K&N wrench off filter, I work in the calibration field, so I torque the the filter using a torque wrench to the maximum allowable torque as well as use the lockwire (safetywire) holes.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:25 AM
Evolving Member

You might want to give AMSoil a try. Its been working like a champ. I use it myself and I've noticed my temps stay cooler unlike my Prelude that has Royal Purple in it. I drove the prelude yesterday and when stopped at a light, the temps got higher. My EVO did the same until I switched over. Take a look at AMSoil.
Old Jun 12, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

or
Redline