Notices

What does a "tune" do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What does a "tune" do?

What happens during a "tune" ?

In what price range does a tune fit into? I'm looking to take my RA into a local shop, but they work more on subaru's, toyota's, nissan's, etc. They haven't worked much at all with Mitsubishi cars. Would these guys need to know certain details about my car to effectively tune it?

The RA has some delicate and alien components to let just anyone tinker with, so I am pretty hesitant to take my car somewhere yet.

In advance, thanks for the advice!
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A tune is just making adjustments to the fuel and timing maps on your cars ecu. This adds power by leaning out the air fuel ratios and adding more timing. I would recommend taking your car to a shop that knows how to properly tune mitsubishi's. If there is no local shops you can get a mail tune from AMS I believe.

Tuning has nothing to do with anything but the ecu so you dont have to worry about someong tinkering with your cars delicate and alien components, whatever those are.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by def1
Tuning has nothing to do with anything but the ecu so you dont have to worry about someong tinkering with your cars delicate and alien components, whatever those are.
LOL, I was pretty much referring to the TC-SST
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
A tune is just making adjustments to the fuel and timing maps on your cars ecu. This adds power by leaning out the air fuel ratios and adding more timing. I would recommend taking your car to a shop that knows how to properly tune mitsubishi's. If there is no local shops you can get a mail tune from AMS I believe.
This.
There are a few reputable mitsu tuners in MI...they're just hard to find/left in a big hurry. Just got to do a little bit of searching .

AMS does have an awesome base flash available though...+50 whp & +50 wtq completely stock. That does require a boost pill though.

PS. Replied to your PM
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:48 AM
Former Sponsor

sure they could tune your car, but I would take it to someone that knows the specifics of that vehicle if you can, otherwise, the AMS mail order flash seems like a winner to0!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I do not know of any that have done RAs though in MI. And be very careful on which ones. There were a few crappy ones that I would be strongly against using.

Check out mievo.net - its the local wing. You might find a good answer on local tuners there.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I do not know of any that have done RAs though in MI. And be very careful on which ones. There were a few crappy ones that I would be strongly against using.

Check out mievo.net - its the local wing. You might find a good answer on local tuners there.

I appreciate the heads up! I'm a recent member of miEVO.net, too. Thanks man.