Notices

tell me about ra on nitrous

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2009, 10:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think with a wet kit you can just spray it since it contains the fuel already. That said, it could be risky. Nitrous isn't like a turbo, it doesn't come on slow, it's quick, hard power. It could present a problem for the transmission or throw the car into limp mode (since it suddenly detects an extra 50 HP).
ok now we are getting somewhere.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Bottles are for babies =]
Old Jul 15, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LancerES09
Bottles are for babies =]
ima big baby then
Old Jul 15, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I think with a wet kit you can just spray it since it contains the fuel already. That said, it could be risky. Nitrous isn't like a turbo, it doesn't come on slow, it's quick, hard power. It could present a problem for the transmission or throw the car into limp mode (since it suddenly detects an extra 50 HP).
+1

Also the transmission has a torque limit of 320 wtq before it starts slipping. Slapping down all that extra power at once not only risks throwing the car into limp mode it will likely wear out the clutches pretty fast.

All of that aside there are a lot of things that need to be upgraded on the car long before serious power is considered. Wheels are the first big weak link...the stock wheels are crap. Next is the issue of body roll. Finally there is the heat issue, new transmission coolers have been developed, but are fairly unproven outside of basic product R&D. Finally SSP is supposed to have developed new clutch packs that should address the tq limits.

Once all of that has been addressed then people may start to consider NOS.

I may have neglected some weak links. No worries, I'm sure Amby will chime in and cover any issues I have over looked.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
You don't need new wheels or suspension work to increase power. Traction is a good thing, sure, but unless you're pushing huge power, I doubt you'll actually get to the point where the stock tires are holding you back. Handling is a whole different ball game.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Boost + NOS on stock internals = BIG FAIL
Old Jul 15, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys. the last few post are most helpful.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:12 AM
Evolving Member

and to touch points on the piggyback systems.. Amby will probably prove me wrong some how.. but anyways.. the ecu is really new for these cars and tuning them is a great option. however with cars that run such complicated ecus plugging in a piggyback system such as the emanage ultimate would probably cause more of a headache than anything. most of the new ecus have a self learning mode and will reset your piggyback options anyways..
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

my neon was self learning and i tuned the **** out of it.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

my matrix was self learning.. i had the emanage blue in it for awhile and it kept wiping my info.. then I had the ultimate in there and spent 2 weeks tuning it.. the maps stay in the piggy back but the ecu would cancel them out..
Old Jul 16, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

that sucks
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

check the evo thread about nos. no one likes it or uses it. meth is safer.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 08:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Spraying nitrous on your intercooler does absolutely nothing for power. The only power you pick up from it is when the nitrous goes thru the intercooler into the engine bay then gets sucked into intake, thus making it a very inefficient dry shot kit.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:37 PM

In a factory turbocharged car in which the ecu can already be tuned via a tactrix cable, turning the boost up is just WAY more economical.

Reflashing is the only way I would tune this car due to the tranny. You dont want the car to not see the extra airflow from a mod and underestimate power output which will mess with clutch operation apparently. This pretty much knocks out NOS altogether. Its unaccounted-for power.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EricJ@AMS
Spraying nitrous on your intercooler does absolutely nothing for power. The only power you pick up from it is when the nitrous goes thru the intercooler into the engine bay then gets sucked into intake, thus making it a very inefficient dry shot kit.
Interesting. One would think that it would cool the intercooler the same way a (water) spray does...NX has had a kit for quite a while and many Supras, turbo'd civics, etc. run them...or is it just clever marketing and snake oil?