Notices

Evo X OE Intercooler Installed on 2009 Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Evo X OE Intercooler Installed on 2009 Ralliart

OK so first off sorry I couldn't write a How To, it was late yesterday and getting dark quickly I had to do things quick.

It can be done by simply removing the Bumper and there's already a How To on that so that's no big deal.

Well, removing the Front Bumper is a pain in the neck but it's achievable in 15 minutes.

The Evo stock FMCI is twice the height of our stock FMCI.

Pipes ARE NOT THE SAME width. Evo X FMCI pipes are different. So lets clear misconceptions and never forget them Evo X OE FMCI has wider intakes so the standard couplings that come with the Ralliart WILL NOT fit unless trimmed which becomes a pain in the neck leaving you with ultimately buying two custom couplings from Home Depot and two extra clamps.

With the Home Depot couplings (you can find them at the Plumbing section) you will fit the bottom pipe to the front mount with ZERO pain in the butt. It's flush and tight.

However for the upper, our Ralliart as an upper pipe that's as slim as it can get so even though the Evo X FM upper connection will flush in the custom coupling (the home depot one) the upper pipe dances in it, so an extra clamp is required to tight it at the very top and seal that biotch as hard as you can. It's really just sealing it at the top to make sure it doesn't have that small opening.

That's not a big deal, cause you want to change that upper pipe as soon as you're done with your Evo X FMIC installation. I'm getting the Injen, and I believe the Injen pipe is wider at the end than our stock one while still retaining the same width at the Turbo exit all the way in the back; Using Evo X custom pipes from HKS,AMS,Greddy,AGP, etc will not work cause the way the pipe connects to the turbo in the bag is also wider;

Getting a custom pipe made specially FOR us RAs is the only way to go;

Again, the only major problem was putting both pipes and FM together, that can be solved with custom couplings.

I will get the width on these things later and I'm also posting a picture of both intercoolers so check them out:

Btw, car runs fine if not better then before and there's no light, no whining, no problems.

And there's no need for modification around your bumper/front of car of any sort. This is as "bolt-on" as it can get

Last edited by jazket; Jul 17, 2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent write up. So, the bottom EVO X IC pipe is no issue, but aftermarket EVO top IC is out of the question. Pics of couplings and install?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Yes I'll take pictures later on; I'd see if I can get some pics without having to remove the bumper again If not I'll have to wait until next week when I get the Injen Upper Pipe
Old Jul 17, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

Keep us posted. Send u PM.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for doing the legwork. Keep us updated
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

wow... the size difference really shows when they are put side by side like that.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

No problem guys; I'll update little by little

And yeah, our stock fm is a joke
Old Jul 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Update

Major leakage after running for 1 hour today (with rush hour traffic and some spirited driving in highway);

The upper coupling seems to be the problem since the bottom fits so well but the upper pipe is dancing in the coupling that fits the evo x intercooler with no problems; that's due to the stock pipe being about half or quarter inch slimmer than the actual upper port of the Evo X intercooler.

I'll have to find a better way to do the setup at the top BUT, seeing as an Injen pipe would end up being probably the same length as the stock one I doubt it makes any sense getting it.

Ultimately I think the setup is a ghetto-fix and it is not what I expected.

I'm removing it and putting back the stock one and will be ordering the entire AMS or UR kit soon.

At least it worked to figure out if it would work; The Upper pipe is a major issue and it just doesn't make any sense going through the hassle at least not to me.

That's the conclusion of this issue:

Evo X OE FMCI fits at the bottom, has issues with the upper pipe, mounts in the bracket the same way and it's ultimately not a good setup.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Thats why you need the X turbo to complete the setup =]
Old Jul 17, 2009, 06:19 PM

to bad it its work
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jazket
Update

Major leakage after running for 1 hour today (with rush hour traffic and some spirited driving in highway);

The upper coupling seems to be the problem since the bottom fits so well but the upper pipe is dancing in the coupling that fits the evo x intercooler with no problems; that's due to the stock pipe being about half or quarter inch slimmer than the actual upper port of the Evo X intercooler.

I'll have to find a better way to do the setup at the top BUT, seeing as an Injen pipe would end up being probably the same length as the stock one I doubt it makes any sense getting it.

Ultimately I think the setup is a ghetto-fix and it is not what I expected.

I'm removing it and putting back the stock one and will be ordering the entire AMS or UR kit soon.

At least it worked to figure out if it would work; The Upper pipe is a major issue and it just doesn't make any sense going through the hassle at least not to me.

That's the conclusion of this issue:

Evo X OE FMCI fits at the bottom, has issues with the upper pipe, mounts in the bracket the same way and it's ultimately not a good setup.

oh wow its great that you said that i was looking at purchasing the FMIC from x for my ralliart. I guess i will just get ams or Ur kit
Old Jul 18, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

dont give up on it so easy what is the outside diameter or the pipe and the ic? you can go to autozone and get exhaust couplings that should fit for 3 to 10 dollers
Old Jul 18, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolving Member

someone on here bought an aftermarket Evo X intercooler and used Ultimate Racing IC Pipes and everything worked just fine. maybe you could do the same with the evo x stock FMIC?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xdemoulasx
someone on here bought an aftermarket Evo X intercooler and used Ultimate Racing IC Pipes and everything worked just fine. maybe you could do the same with the evo x stock FMIC?
Yep that's what I'm thinking, since the lower pipe in the RA fits the Evo FMCI, all I need is to figure out the upper pipe... I contacted Chris to see if they want to sell me their FMCI kit's upper pipe so I can finish my experiment... something tells me their upper pipe fits the stock Evo X FMCI; for now I'm driving it with the stock front mount and I've been getting a crap load of ses lights... I went to have it read and its that tedious P1235... I gotta ask Chris also for that fix

ugh...

!
Old Jul 30, 2009, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Woke up form a comma!

So Dan & Chris helped me out and they agreed on sending me JUST the UICP to see if I could fit the OE Evo X Intercooler;

Well it worked out to be a perfect install and works beautifully!

It's exactly what I thought, our stock pipe is about 4-5 inches longer on the curve where it meets the front mount, cause the stock fmic is about half the height of AMS's or a Stock Evo X; In comparison, my friend's AMS IC is about 1 inch wider and about the same height, and width. AMS couplers fit the Evo X just the same, openings are about the same diameter, and both Front Mounts fit the stock lower pipe!

I def need 2 dyno my car now cause after the AMS Upper IC Pipe, Evo X IC and HKS Downpipe I can definitely feel it pull harder

Also helped a friend of mine install his AMS IC upgrade kit; we finished the whole thing at around 1 AM

Thanks to AMS!

I'll post pictures of the install when I get a chance;

PS: Also got me a BRAND spanking new Evo X FMIC from a friend who drove his Evo from the dealer to the tuner shop to have EVERYTHING upgraded

I'm planning on getting the AMS fmic in the future when I get some extra cash :S

Last edited by jazket; Jul 30, 2009 at 07:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo X OE Intercooler Installed on 2009 Ralliart