Notices

Oil Level

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2009, 03:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Level

heres to saving a few bones in a rough economy...
did my own oil change for the first time in about 6 years yesterday (Mobil1 5w-30 and Mobil1 filter = $29 combo deal @ pep boys...scooped 4 changes worth). level was right around max after the change and 60 secs or so of idling (about 4 3/4 quarts) but i checked it this morn and now im about 1/8th inch or so above the max dot now that everything's settled out. problem? u guys think i should worry about it and, if so, u think just pulling the filter will drain enough to level her out?
Old Jul 20, 2009, 05:22 AM

I filled mine and ran the car and it was right between the two dots. The next morning I went and check the car before I started the engine and it was above the secound dot. I was super frustrated thinking I had added to much oil. I started the car and warmed up the engine and checked the oil again and the oil showed between the two dots again. I'm thinking if the car is warm and its reading right then you should be good to go.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:22 AM

damn...would def like some more opinions on this. obv dont wanna go to the trouble of draining it if its no big deal but also dont wanna leave it go if it could compromise oil pressure and do damage.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

The way this car's computer is rigged, I'm pretty sure it would tell you if you had a problem.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

After the engine has been sitting a while, all the oil galleries and lines will have drained back in to the pan. I would check the oil a few minutes after the engine has been running, and this will be the more accurate way.

I wouldn't worry about this at all. It's only when the oil is above the fill line after only a couple minutes of the oil draining, then you should drain a bit.

And "no" the car wont tell you when you have OVERfilled it with oil. An oil level sensor will only set off the 'idiot light' when you run dangerously LOW on oil.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
I wouldn't worry about this at all. It's only when the oil is above the fill line after only a couple minutes of the oil draining, then you should drain a bit.
well i shut it off yesterday and checked the level after only about 20 min of sitting and it WAS above the max dot, so im thinkin that you would say to go ahead and drain a bit. do you think that popping off the filter will dump enough oil to be an effective fix or do i need to dump the excess via the drain plug? ive never taken a filter off w/o intending to dump ALL the oil...does anyone know if just cracking it loose and backing off a few threads will be enough to drip out the excess w/o dumping too much oil?
Old Jul 22, 2009, 06:54 AM
xi
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Get a long length of tube and sipon off like a quarter quart (that was redundant) through the top. Just make sure you don't drink the oil by accident.
Old Jul 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

I would say dont worry about it unless your engine temp. is higher then normal...or if it's really buggin' you.