23,000 miles and need new trans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sucks! hope it gets fix soon man!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
And yet I was still right, for some reason, your comments don't have quite the same impact when I'm right.
You can block my posts, and I encourage you to do so, that way I'm won't have to listen to this kind of garbage anymore. Have fun living in your own private Evom where you simply block people who state things you don't want to hear.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'm almost tempted to drive this thing HARD. Break it and get it replaced before warrenty ends, or before Mitsu learns how to repair the TC-SST. I would rather have the entire trans replaced than have it repaired. Seems pretty easy to have these things fail.

I don't understand how AMS is holding up with their RA. They are over the threshold for power limits, and their trans didn't go out yet?! I wonder if they even drive that thing around. I'd like to see how it holds up daily-driven than on some Auto-X course.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

This already happened before, and same thing happened then people **** a brick. Relax, to imagine that ALL the trannys will be fine is ridiculous. As stated before this is a performance DD, so yes you can drive it hard but there is a limit to the abuse. As for modding, if your modding that much that you want over 350WHP and WTQ... that's probably not the best DD and you should have gone for the GSR anyway. No one is saying or has said that this is the "golden transmission", it is simply a step forward in transmissions in general.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by akj237
I did a ton of research before I bought my Ralliart. That's why I bought it. It's an awd sporty car which is what I wanted. I guess I just spoke out of frustration with my issues with the dealer. I just really hope this is an isolated issue. I don't beat the **** out of mine but I don't baby it either.
It's not an isolated issue; It failed, trannies fail; abuse is issue number one in transmissions; I've mentioned this before, but a 2008 Nissan GT-R couldn't be LC'd 3 times without blowing the tranny; If you had the car for a day and you tried many times to launch it hard, you would've stayed with a 20k dollar bill on your back a day after you got your brand new 80k Godzilla

This is all related to the use you give the tranny; they don't just go and decide it's time to fail just because;

Not to mention that if someone had to be blame for it (say the owner didn't really cause the issue), it would be the manufacturer GETRAG, not Mitsubishi (or split the blame 50/50); The same manufacturer is making the same tranny for Porsche and BMW as well so I really doubt this TC-SST to be a ****ty product
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

How about we wait and let the OP tell us a story.
Dude runs slower then stock times with mods. Dude thinks his RA is at 10psi...
AMS car probably isn't drag raced everyday. It's tuned correctly.

The MR has been out longer...
Old Aug 14, 2009, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bom's Evo
How about we wait and let the OP tell us a story.
Dude runs slower then stock times with mods. Dude thinks his RA is at 10psi...
AMS car probably isn't drag raced everyday. It's tuned correctly.

The MR has been out longer...
+1, indeed
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

dealerships arent allowed to rip apart this trans all they can do is diagnose and send all there info to MItsu in California. They didnt find anything that could be a direct cause. Basically i dont think ull actually see one of these trans have parts replaced, if its scrwwing up there probaly gona throw a new trans in and send the bad trans to Mitsu.

Had no mods on the car when i brought to dealer. Removed before i went.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
So far I haven't seen a Ralliart get any where near that. People are running into clutch slippage at 300 WHP. I agree that's a decent amount for a daily but if that's as good as it gets...

... but if it's becoming a limiting factor in the car's tuning potential, it doesn't mean much.
You usually have valid and legitimate points that I agree with, but I think you are off base in this thread. There are several tuners that have modified the Ralliart to sustain power levels well over 300 whp. Take, for instance, AMS's Ralliart with an FP Red holding 370 whp. Works also has a Ralliart holding well over 300 whp. The limitation with the Ralliart (much like the EVO MR) seems to be with the torque load. Those torque restrictions could be based in the clutch plates or the TCU's programming, but they certainly aren't inherent in the transmission itself. And, in my opinion, it is important to differentiate between the clutch plates and the rest of the transmission itself (much like we do with clutches and the matching manual transmission).

Every car has performance bottlenecks somewhere (even Ferraris); it is just a matter of time, money and ingenutity to circumvent them. One also has to ask whether it is worth the time and money to do so. The Ralliart at least wears its bottlenecks on its sleeve, which I prefer. But, now I would like to get back on topic...

We still don't know what caused this failure. The transmission might have had a leak, a foreign object might have found its way inside, it might have come from the factory with a manufacturing flaw, etc. Until we know more, however, the sky is not falling.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Tranny didnt blow im still driving the car while the new one comes. the light came on brought to the dealer and they said 5th and 6th were locking. drove it primarily in sport mode. only romped on it once in a while. drove 30miles to work with it one way too.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerdave86
dealerships arent allowed to rip apart this trans all they can do is diagnose and send all there info to MItsu in California. They didnt find anything that could be a direct cause. Basically i dont think ull actually see one of these trans have parts replaced, if its scrwwing up there probaly gona throw a new trans in and send the bad trans to Mitsu.

smart man
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not true. With less than 2k miles I had leaking tranny fluid. The dealer pulled out the transmission, opened it up and replaced the seal (they had to take pics, email them out to get instructions on what to do)

Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Tranny didnt blow im still driving the car while the new one comes. the light came on brought to the dealer and they said 5th and 6th were locking. drove it primarily in sport mode. only romped on it once in a while. drove 30miles to work with it one way too.
Thanks for the info. Keep us updated!
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
smart man
+2!

Best thing you took them all off
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

What's with all the people getting bent out of shape? This isn't a common occurrence, and it's getting replaced under warranty anyways. There's no proof that it needs to be driven lightly, as there are plenty of MRs being track driven. Some sort of mechanical/electrical mechanism probably failed - which can happen on ANYTHING. Hey, even space shuttles blow up, and the funding for development is basically unlimited. Sucks that the OP has to go through this, but at least he gets a freebie, especially considering he's modded.

Quick Reply: 23,000 miles and need new trans