Notices

23,000 miles and need new trans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madcows
What's with all the people getting bent out of shape? This isn't a common occurrence, and it's getting replaced under warranty anyways. There's no proof that it needs to be driven lightly, as there are plenty of MRs being track driven. Some sort of mechanical/electrical mechanism probably failed - which can happen on ANYTHING. Hey, even space shuttles blow up, and the funding for development is basically unlimited. Sucks that the OP has to go through this, but at least he gets a freebie, especially considering he's modded.
You're right it's only been one (on here anyway) so it's no big deal. I must admit during my first post it must have been my time of the month (when I was out of beer ) but now the fridge is re-stocked and I've come to my senses.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by C2Rally
fanboi Amby sure has a way of spoiling a good thread.....please go away... there are other threads for drama...... does't cosmo have a web page?
Yes cause this was such a good thread to begin with and discussing the limitations of the transmission is so far off topic .
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
Ok but who is sayin its a golden transmission. i have never heard this but why we keep replying u is because the way u word things make it seem like u are bashing every single RA for a problem that ONE is having. And why are we talkin about the FQ? Mitsu knows the limitation of their transmission which is why they didn't put it in. There are manual trannies that have 300-400 lb ft limitations too before having to rebuild or reinforce so what is ur point. The FQ 330 is pushing 322 lb-ft safely and i don't see a problem with that as a DD. The dual clutch/twin clutch technology can hold more power (GTR, Panamara, M5, etc) but this particular transmission is designed for less why? My guess is to keep the cost down. If Mitsu wanted it to hold morepower then we would have to pay more. If/when the tranny become more popular i'm pretty sure the cost will go down and once tuners start opening it up then we will be able to see higher torque capacity.
Quite a few people have said things which certainly suggest that. Obvious examples are people stating that it's better than a manual (which it's not) and that manuals are a thing of the past (again wrong). If this is the future, I want nothing of it. It's not bashing when it's flatly supported. If someone said "the transmission is crap and ugly", that would be bashing, saying "well this isn't that surprising based on past data" is really just pointing out the obvious.
322 ft-lbs at the crank is less than 300 WHP.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
You usually have valid and legitimate points that I agree with, but I think you are off base in this thread. There are several tuners that have modified the Ralliart to sustain power levels well over 300 whp. Take, for instance, AMS's Ralliart with an FP Red holding 370 whp. Works also has a Ralliart holding well over 300 whp. The limitation with the Ralliart (much like the EVO MR) seems to be with the torque load. Those torque restrictions could be based in the clutch plates or the TCU's programming, but they certainly aren't inherent in the transmission itself. And, in my opinion, it is important to differentiate between the clutch plates and the rest of the transmission itself (much like we do with clutches and the matching manual transmission).

Every car has performance bottlenecks somewhere (even Ferraris); it is just a matter of time, money and ingenutity to circumvent them. One also has to ask whether it is worth the time and money to do so. The Ralliart at least wears its bottlenecks on its sleeve, which I prefer. But, now I would like to get back on topic...

We still don't know what caused this failure. The transmission might have had a leak, a foreign object might have found its way inside, it might have come from the factory with a manufacturing flaw, etc. Until we know more, however, the sky is not falling.
That's two tuners and their cars are not daily drivers (and if I recall correctly, AMS has less than 300 WTQ which is the real killer). I don't know why people are that shocked or offended, the transmission was not designed to hold power, it's that simple.
The transmission itself is an issue. Due to it's design, the clutch plates have to be small and this leads to heat problems.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Quite a few people have said things which certainly suggest that. Obvious examples are people stating that it's better than a manual (which it's not) and that manuals are a thing of the past (again wrong). If this is the future, I want nothing of it. It's not bashing when it's flatly supported. If someone said "the transmission is crap and ugly", that would be bashing, saying "well this isn't that surprising based on past data" is really just pointing out the obvious.
322 ft-lbs at the crank is less than 300 WHP.
Are u sure ppl are not saying its better than a manual in terms of DD? And as for it being the future meaning more manufacturers will start using this type of transmission in their performance oriented cars for ppl who may not want to deal with a clutch pedal or putting in a slushbox conventional auto tranny? Those ppl who may have knee problems or what not may want a performance car too. With this type of transmission companies can cater to those ppl and still deliver that manual feel. That doesn't mean it will replace a manual, that will never happen we all know this. So why u keep dwelling on something so obvious?

That's two tuners and their cars are not daily drivers (and if I recall correctly, AMS has less than 300 WTQ which is the real killer). I don't know why people are that shocked or offended, the transmission was not designed to hold power, it's that simple.
The transmission itself is an issue. Due to it's design, the clutch plates have to be small and this leads to heat problems.
B4 the FP Red it was less than 300WTQ and still was running low 13's and i think 12.9. With the FP Red and DP it was at 300WTQ and running mid to low 12's. And yes ur right its not AMS's DD but how many tuner shop projects are DD's? No one is shock or offended its' jus that u are always quick to talk because u have a personal vendetta towards the transmission. We get, now leave it alone.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Are u sure ppl are not saying its better than a manual in terms of DD? And as for it being the future meaning more manufacturers will start using this type of transmission in their performance oriented cars for ppl who may not want to deal with a clutch pedal or putting in a slushbox conventional auto tranny? Those ppl who may have knee problems or what not may want a performance car too. With this type of transmission companies can cater to those ppl and still deliver that manual feel. That doesn't mean it will replace a manual, that will never happen we all know this. So why u keep dwelling on something so obvious?

B4 the FP Red it was less than 300WTQ and still was running low 13's and i think 12.9. With the FP Red and DP it was at 300WTQ and running mid to low 12's. And yes ur right its not AMS's DD but how many tuner shop projects are DD's? No one is shock or offended its' jus that u are always quick to talk because u have a personal vendetta towards the transmission. We get, now leave it alone.
How many "manual vs TC-SST" debates have you seen? People are constantly trying to make the argument that the new twin clutch systems are the absolute future.
How can I have a personal vendetta against a transmission? I have nothing personal invested, I just find it hilarious how many people jumped on the "it's the bestest ever" band wagon only to have things like this happen.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

Manual transmissions will be around as long as there is an internal combustion engine. They are far superior in terms of reliability (as long as the clutch is used) compared to an automatic or an automatic-manual.

The downside to racing with one, is that you have to be good at shifting gears. I raced a WRX a few weeks ago and left it far behind because of his inexperience. Whereas the automatic or automatic-manual will always shift (if it is working properly) where it is supposed to, and never "miss a gear".

I support the automatics of the world and will never buy a vehicle unless it has one. Yet I do know that the manual is far superior when the driver knows what he/she is doing.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

How many "manual vs TC-SST" debates have you seen? People are constantly trying to make the argument that the new twin clutch systems are the absolute future.
How can I have a personal vendetta against a transmission? I have nothing personal invested, I just find it hilarious how many people jumped on the "it's the bestest ever" band wagon only to have things like this happen.
So does it really eat at your soul that bad? Can't u jus look at it laugh and walk away? If u, I and other sensible ppl on her kno a manual transmission will never be replaced then why bother argue? Would u argue with a blind man about the color of ur shirt? Some ppl are excited about the transmission so maybe at that moment they may consider it the best thing ever. As a child have u never received a toy and thought it was the coolest so u brag about it until the ur high wears off? Most of these thread end because the hype wear off and if u want it to end faster then don't hit the reply button.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Some people are too proud of their cars. It's just a car that gets you places...

Dave, 5th and 6th are locking? Does that mean it doesn't engage in those gears?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by dboz
Don't worry, the X GSR has transmission troubles itself, so it is no godsend.
Do tell......?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UntouchableEvo
Do tell......?
It has this third pedal thing attached to it that takes up valuable floorspace for my left foot.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ladogaboy
it has this third pedal thing attached to it that takes up valuable floorspace for my left foot.
lol.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

So does it really eat at your soul that bad? Can't u jus look at it laugh and walk away? If u, I and other sensible ppl on her kno a manual transmission will never be replaced then why bother argue? Would u argue with a blind man about the color of ur shirt? Some ppl are excited about the transmission so maybe at that moment they may consider it the best thing ever. As a child have u never received a toy and thought it was the coolest so u brag about it until the ur high wears off? Most of these thread end because the hype wear off and if u want it to end faster then don't hit the reply button.
This is a forum for open discussion and you'll notice that it goes both ways. We're not children so I don't understand why we should treat people as such.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
It has this third pedal thing attached to it that takes some skill to operate properly.
Fixed it.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

This is a forum for open discussion and you'll notice that it goes both ways. We're not children so I don't understand why we should treat people as such.
I was using it as an analogy *sigh* there is no point tryin to talk u sometimes.

Quick Reply: 23,000 miles and need new trans