Notices

23,000 miles and need new trans

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Manual drivers? I have yet to see any statistics saying that manual drivers are more prone to accidents than automatic drivers, a distracted driver is a distracted driver. Considering how well-known the GTR transmissions are and the apparent issues that the Mitsubishi model is having (torque limitations, shifting issues, etc), I don't think us stick drivers have anything to worry about from the "future".
maybe a blown motor. off topic sorry. jk
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

It's an automatic through and through, it's no more a manual than a torque converter-based automatic or a CVT-based automatic. It's that talk that annoys people, if you don't have a third pedal, you are not driving a manual, it's that simple.
If you don't like the fact that Mitsubishi, Lexus and others () have decided to use the term MANUAL in order to refer to the mode in which the driver uses the paddle shifters, you might want to take your complaint up with them. I dislike arguing semantics; it's as useless as arguing about statistics.

The amount of control you have is not the same, you cannot decide how fast to engage the clutch, you cannot properly engine brake, you cannot slip in and out of neutral in any gear, you cannot heel-toe, etc.
I am very curious to hear your explanation as to why "heel toeing" is necessary, and why you think that puts a driver with a manual at an advantage over a driver with a paddle shifter.

A WRC is nothing like a traditional manual or a TC-SST. It doesn't use a twin-clutch transmission, it uses an automatically controlled dogbox manual.
It is actually six-speed, semi-automatic transmission, but you can call it a dogbox manual if you want. Again, though, semantics.

You might want to reread my post that you quoted because I never said they were the same. What I said is that what that transmission symbolizes is important: The recognition that a manual shifter is not the ideal. Of course, most of us are willing to spend $80-100k for a transmission, but regardless, if Petter wants to shift on a rally course, he just twitches his fingers.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
If you don't like the fact that Mitsubishi, Lexus and others () have decided to use the term MANUAL in order to refer to the mode in which the driver uses the paddle shifters, you might want to take your complaint up with them. I dislike arguing semantics; it's as useless as arguing about statistics.

I am very curious to hear your explanation as to why "heel toeing" is necessary, and why you think that puts a driver with a manual at an advantage over a driver with a paddle shifter.

It is actually six-speed, semi-automatic transmission, but you can call it a dogbox manual if you want. Again, though, semantics.

You might want to reread my post that you quoted because I never said they were the same. What I said is that what that transmission symbolizes is important: The recognition that a manual shifter is not the ideal. Of course, most of us are willing to spend $80-100k for a transmission, but regardless, if Petter wants to shift on a rally course, he just twitches his fingers.
I don't have issue with them calling it manual mode, I have an issue with people saying things like this

The thing I like about the TC-SST is that it is only "automatic" if you want it to be. I find it funny how people seem to infer that we have less control of our cars with paddles than they do of their car with a manual.
which is false.
Heel-toe is necessary during racing to allow you to brake and downshift at the same time. You do not need to do it since you can simply brake and the car will downshift for you. It's rather obvious that in the first situation, you have more control over what the car is doing. If you **** up, you know.
Most rally cars use a dogbox transmission. A dogbox is a type of transmission, just as a synchomesh transmission is a type.
As I have said again and again, you cannot seriously compare the transmission in a racing car to that in a street car. They behave differently and more importantly, race cars have entirely different priorities. Race teams don't give a crap what the driver wants, they car about what's fastest. Whether the car is engaging to drive around town doesn't factor in to their decisions in the slightest.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

which is false.
Heel-toe is necessary during racing to allow you to brake and downshift at the same time. You do not need to do it since you can simply brake and the car will downshift for you. It's rather obvious that in the first situation, you have more control over what the car is doing. If you **** up, you know.
Most rally cars use a dogbox transmission. A dogbox is a type of transmission, just as a synchomesh transmission is a type.
As I have said again and again, you cannot seriously compare the transmission in a racing car to that in a street car. They behave differently and more importantly, race cars have entirely different priorities. Race teams don't give a crap what the driver wants, they car about what's fastest. Whether the car is engaging to drive around town doesn't factor in to their decisions in the slightest.
Actually i brake and downshift all the time. U can allow the trasmission to do it or you can yourself, there isn't only a +(up) but also a -(down).
Old Aug 17, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

What happens if you don't downshift, does the car stall? What happens if you miss-shift, oh wait....
Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

What happens if you don't downshift, does the car stall? What happens if you miss-shift, oh wait....
I waits for your input and if you don't downshift it will do it so that the car doesn't stall. Thats the beauty, no miss shifts lengthen ur tranny life.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

heel-toe has been replaced with "finger-tap"
amby get with the times man, lol.

do you still use a well to get your water?

oh wait you prob. do
since turning a knob is not as "leet" as manually dropping a bucket for water.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boondoc
I waits for your input and if you don't downshift it will do it so that the car doesn't stall. Thats the beauty, no miss shifts lengthen ur tranny life.
So basically it's dummy proof, I fail to see the joy or reward in achieving something that is foolproof and ultimately done for you. It's like getting 100% on an exam where the answers are posted on the board.

Originally Posted by IdriveRA
heel-toe has been replaced with "finger-tap"
amby get with the times man, lol.

do you still use a well to get your water?

oh wait you prob. do
since turning a knob is not as "leet" as manually dropping a bucket for water.
Your analogy fails, getting water from a well is not an activity people do for the sake of doing it. If you're getting water from a well, it's because you have to. No automatic can replace the visceral feeling of nailing a good heel-toe downshift and knowing it was the result of practice, not Mitsubishi's R&D.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Enough with the off topic bull****. I'm ready to toss out points to all involved. This isn't a manual vs. SST thread. It's a thread about a failed SST.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Tranny being replaced today. Shipped on friday... here monday. Sweet
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancerdave86
Sweet!

But you still have to wait another 1+ week for your car that's the sucky part
Old Aug 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Shipped from where? Do they actually have a supply of these stateside?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

congrats on the new tranny, take it easy this time! Lol.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Cool keep up posted. By the way ur MPGs might suck until u break in the tranny.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
While I've agreed with Amby from the start in regards to this transmission's likely future issues, thus far it seems Mitsubishi has been replacing the transmissions that have failed thus far under warranty. I imagine that will continue, unless it's someone who's done more than a handful of simple bolt-ons. IMO, nothing will help Mitsubishi's trans supplier improve this transmission faster than having to continuously pay to replace them.
definitely good incentive for them to get it dialed in. if i was them i wouldnt wanna keep giving out free transmissions either, especially when theyre valued at 10k a pop. like you said though, at least it seems mitsu is being pretty decent about replacing these transmissions under warranty. we just had an MR come into the shop with a slip/loss of power in 2nd and the shop's master tech was on the phone back an forth with mitsu techline all day doing all kinds of tests and finally ended up declaring the trans a lost cause and ordered him a new one.

Quick Reply: 23,000 miles and need new trans