Notices

Intake...even worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a dyno showing about 10 horses with just a drop in. Which logically would lead to a pipe and filter giving a little bit more so long as its designed correctly.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elpoole
I got a dyno showing about 10 horses with just a drop in. Which logically would lead to a pipe and filter giving a little bit more so long as its designed correctly.

Its true an intake may give you 5 more hp. but you are also sucking in alot more hot air. Most the people running intakes on their RA are doing it so they can hear the BPV. If you want the better option to go with i would say drop in filter and ICP pipes. You will notice the gains, and you wont be sucking in hot air.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:29 AM
Account Disabled

sucking in hot air doesnt hurt our car at this level any... provided you have an intercooler upgrade.

The evo IC cools said hot air intake just as well as the normal intercooler would cool the normal air.

it poses no real threat.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rotorglow
ttp engineering told me that they havn't really seen any gains from installing an intake. The setup that is stock is actually a magnificient setup. There is an awful stigma around stock intakes and how restrictive they are. In most cases this is true, but our setup is quite the opposite.

If you were to get any of the intakes out there, the injen one should be your only choice. It has been proven that they do not cause your car to run in the super-lean department. In fact they seem to be only (from what i've read) 6% leaner then your preffered a/f ratio. These aren't my findings, but what i have viewed from the evo x forums.

If that intake isn't what you are looking for due to the trans. Cooler being moved, then i would suggest just a drop in. Maybe go with a k&n, they seem to have a good reputation (although i do not agree with aftermarket drop-ins at all).
+1
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by elpoole
The filter is not adding the power, the AFR is.

You change the filter and it changes MAF reading much of the time.

If you took a stock car and tuned it, then added a filter and tuned it, the results would be about the same.

You take a stock car and add a filter and lean out the AFR from the MAF reading and you can see a few hp.

If changing the intake and then getting a tune, there are little to no gains.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:32 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
TTP Engineering told me that they havn't really seen any gains from installing an intake. The setup that is stock is actually a magnificient setup. There is an awful stigma around stock intakes and how restrictive they are. In most cases this is true, but our setup is quite the opposite.

If you were to get ANY of the intakes out there, the Injen one should be your ONLY choice. It has been proven that they do not cause your car to run in the super-lean department. In fact they seem to be only (from what I've read) 6% leaner then your preffered A/F ratio. These aren't my findings, but what I have viewed from the Evo X forums.

If that intake isn't what you are looking for due to the trans. cooler being moved, then I would suggest just a drop in. Maybe go with a K&N, they seem to have a good reputation (although I do not agree with aftermarket drop-ins at all).

he needs to have more expertise before he goes around making statements like that.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by secondchace
he needs to have more expertise before he goes around making statements like that.
Are u talking about TTP? How many years u been tuning cars secondchace? Just wondering cause u seem to be talking trash about all of the tuning companies on every thread both on EvoM and clubralliart and I was just wondering where u get all your expertise from. I look forward to one of your cleaver replies.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 08:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by brads09lancerGT
Are u talking about TTP? How many years u been tuning cars secondchace? Just wondering cause u seem to be talking trash about all of the tuning companies on every thread both on EvoM and clubralliart and I was just wondering where u get all your expertise from. I look forward to one of your cleaver replies.

ohhh nozz... he has a dyno and uses it. Congrats. Im referring the his comment as was stated that the ralliart shows little gains with an intake.

Hes tuned a few but not nearly enough or conducted research to back it up. If you honestly believe owning a garage and "tuning" cars makes you all knowing, then you should watch csi and solve real life crimes.

For facts, i know on my car, i gained about 9 whp with the intake addition, additionally, the ralliart that rre tuned, prior to tuning on the injen intake thet saw 12whp gains... weather its due to a leaner mixture or not, the intake facilitates the gains. Thus making it obvious, that an intake does infact add. Additionally even still, anyone who wants to continue tuning past a basic point on this car will require an intake, sri or cai, to allow for the much needed addition of air, without over working other components.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

Ughh, little boy, little boy. Let me re-quote myself...

"from what I've read"
and
"These aren't my findings, but what I have viewed from the Evo X forums."
and
"TTP Engineering told me"

I would re-quote the entire thing, but you just dont seem to read very well. No where in that entire post did I say anything about what my professional or expert opinion would be.

-troll elsewhere
Old Aug 30, 2009, 08:59 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by RotorGlow
Ughh, little boy, little boy. Let me re-quote myself...

"from what I've read"
and
"These aren't my findings, but what I have viewed from the Evo X forums."
and
"TTP Engineering told me"

I would re-quote the entire thing, but you just dont seem to read very well. No where in that entire post did I say anything about what my professional or expert opinion would be.

-troll elsewhere
did i mention you anywhere? nope.

sorry to hurt your feelings... i guess?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by secondchace
weather its due to a leaner mixture or not, the intake facilitates the gains.
This is not my argument, but I had to chime in anyway. The maf sensor should be aware of all air entering the system and adjust fuel accordingly. When adding an intake, the car may lean out because air is entering that is unaccounted for not just because there is more air. What the intake facilitates is the unaccounted for air. As TTP said, it is the AFR not the intake that adds the power. This can be achieved with a tune on the factory setup. I don't claim to be an expert, but you should practice your listening skills before simply restating your opinion oblivious to the comments of others. Oh....and I think TTP has tuned more than a few.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:43 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Piper747
This is not my argument, but I had to chime in anyway. The maf sensor should be aware of all air entering the system and adjust fuel accordingly. When adding an intake, the car may lean out because air is entering that is unaccounted for not just because there is more air. What the intake facilitates is the unaccounted for air. As TTP said, it is the AFR not the intake that adds the power. This can be achieved with a tune on the factory setup. I don't claim to be an expert, but you should practice your listening skills before simply restating your opinion oblivious to the comments of others. Oh....and I think TTP has tuned more than a few.

you just said that the maf should adjust accordingly with all air entering, then said the gains are based off the maf not counting the air you just said it will account for and adjust for accordingly?

thats alot of contradictions there my friend
Old Aug 30, 2009, 09:45 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Piper747

and again, please read up before you post.
TTP is the last shop to take seriously, look at gains made on just intakes without tunes.... 12 13 whp WITHOUT THE TUNE, thus as i stated, the intake facilitates the gains. the tune corrects and adjusts them further.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Does the car make more power than stock with an intake - YES
Does the car make more power than stock with a tune - YES
Does the car make more power with an intake and a tune than just tuned - YES

That will be a dollar from everyone on this thread for lesson time.

A quality intake will make more power becuase it allows the car to pull more air and let the ECU account for it by making the neccessary adjustments.

A drop in is a good, simple example. Stock housing, easier flow for the motor to pull from, within the limits of the ECU. Power made.

Last edited by elpoole; Aug 30, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll buy that

Quick Reply: Intake...even worth it?