Notices

Intake...even worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake...even worth it?

I'm still running the stock airbox and, after reading through some EvoX threads, I'm having my doubts about the benefits of an intake and tune (vs. stock airbox and tune):

But if you are getting a tune, then the intake will not help your numbers. It does give the car a nice sound tho.
An intake will not increase much HP for a tuned car. It does sound a lot better now that the turbo is breathing better.
I'm not sure if this is applicable for the Ralliart (and some EvoX guys report things differently), but does anyone have experience with this?

More specifically, has anyone been tuned with the stock airbox, and then later upgraded your intake? Any gains over 5hp to be seen?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:19 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it def allows for more options later on.

Plus at 150$ us, even if the gains are marginal, it makes the turbo very vocal, and bpv more then loud enough.

cheap upgrades if u ask me, and plan a tune anyways.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

The reason I ask is because with our little turbos, intake airflow doesn't seem to be a bottleneck as much as exhaust. I'm not planning on running an X turbo or FP Red (not yet, at least...maybe after my 3 years are up).
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by velocityhead
The reason I ask is because with our little turbos, intake airflow doesn't seem to be a bottleneck as much as exhaust. I'm not planning on running an X turbo or FP Red (not yet, at least...maybe after my 3 years are up).
From what I've heard, the exhaust isn't really a bottleneck for our turbos either. The turbo itself is the bottle neck.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ladogaboy
From what I've heard, the exhaust isn't really a bottleneck for our turbos either. The turbo itself is the bottle neck.
true true a intake will make the turbo more vocal and you will hear the ssswwwooossshhh!!! that every newbie turbo owner wants to hear, there is no big HP gains from a intake but your the biggest upside to a intake is you turbo will spool a lot faster and with a good tune that will equal a small but good HP gain.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

from all the dyno info I have, an intake is worth it, an exhaust is worth it and a tune is worth it. Pick and be happy.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

pick em all
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by excessiveboost
true true a intake will make the turbo more vocal and you will hear the ssswwwooossshhh!!! that every newbie turbo owner wants to hear, there is no big HP gains from a intake but your the biggest upside to a intake is you turbo will spool a lot faster and with a good tune that will equal a small but good HP gain.
Of course, that being said, I would rank an I/C and piping WAY above an intake in terms of upgrade priority. The hard I/C piping would help with the spool too.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

If that's true, good thing I'm upgrading in the path that I am. I've got the EvoX IC sitting at home and the IC piping is on its way...

Of course, that being said, I would rank an I/C and piping WAY above an intake in terms of upgrade priority. The hard I/C piping would help with the spool too.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

If that's true, good thing I'm upgrading in the path that I am. I've got the EvoX IC sitting at home and the IC piping is on its way...
Nice. I noticed in your sig that you are going to go with an AMS custom tune. You might want to ask them if you should upgrade your BOV to an EVO IX or X metal BOV. I'm not sure if it will make a difference, but it might for a custom tune.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I plan on snagging a metal one before I head off for the tune. With my luck, mine will start leaking once I hit 20+psi...
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I plan on snagging a metal one before I head off for the tune. With my luck, mine will start leaking once I hit 20+psi...
/me cues Freddy Mercury: "Under pressure..."
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Haha good tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3qVl8Gb2J4

/me cues Freddy Mercury: "Under pressure..."
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

TTP Engineering told me that they havn't really seen any gains from installing an intake. The setup that is stock is actually a magnificient setup. There is an awful stigma around stock intakes and how restrictive they are. In most cases this is true, but our setup is quite the opposite.

If you were to get ANY of the intakes out there, the Injen one should be your ONLY choice. It has been proven that they do not cause your car to run in the super-lean department. In fact they seem to be only (from what I've read) 6% leaner then your preffered A/F ratio. These aren't my findings, but what I have viewed from the Evo X forums.

If that intake isn't what you are looking for due to the trans. cooler being moved, then I would suggest just a drop in. Maybe go with a K&N, they seem to have a good reputation (although I do not agree with aftermarket drop-ins at all).
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think you're right, and as others have mentioned, the biggest real benefit would likely be quicker spool-up times.

Quick Reply: Intake...even worth it?