Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
The car sat from 9AM until lunch around 12PM. We are having -3 temps and with wind chill feels around -30. The car started up perfectly with no CEL. However it had a high pitched noise along with it. I started to take off and it sounded like a hum noise. At low speed the noise sounded like the brakes squeeling. As the car warmed up on the way home the noise disappeared. I turned the car off and turned it back on two times and everything was fine.

What do you guys think this was all about?
I have a very similar noise/situation coming from my car on the stock map, so I don't think it has anything to do with Bryan's basemaps. Moreso of the cold effecting something in/on/about the car. I have no idea what it is at this time though...
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:37 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by S2K2EVO
The car sat from 9AM until lunch around 12PM. We are having -3 temps and with wind chill feels around -30. The car started up perfectly with no CEL. However it had a high pitched noise along with it. I started to take off and it sounded like a hum noise. At low speed the noise sounded like the brakes squeeling. As the car warmed up on the way home the noise disappeared. I turned the car off and turned it back on two times and everything was fine.

What do you guys think this was all about?
My RA had that slight humming whine when cold when I had the stock turbo and parts.

All went away when I got rid of the pee shooter.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya I hear that same sound in the morning when the car is cold. Sounds like a cold turbo spooling very slightly (cold parts moving, haven't yet fully warmed up)???
Old Feb 1, 2011, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Okay that makes me feel better. Thanks for the replies. This is the coldest we have had since I have owned the car so im sure thats it. I will see what happens after work.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

After work it was about 5 degrees out and with the wind chill around -15 or so. No CEL, but had the same little whine briefly until about 1 minute later of driving. From a stop there was no whine but when you get on the gas you start to hear it. I'm chalking it up to the extreme cold.

Tomorrow its supposed to get up to 14 so maybe that will help lol. The thing is in the morning after the car was in the garage all night last night and I started it up there was no whine so must be the cold!

I have to comment on the new tune. I agree with the shifting being soooo much more smooth when the trans is cold. On the way to work there isn't that huge jump in the rpms when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. I shift manual almost 90% of the time and have noticed that is nice and smooth as well.

I haven't went WOT or sport mode yet because of the weather but I'm sure it still picks up nicely.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 04:46 PM

no more CEL. ive started my car 10+ times since and today with record low temps or 10 degrees and no CEL. great job.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

So far so good, no CELs!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Just wanted to say thanks to Brian and GST for providing the maps to the community. It makes owning a Ralliart that much more fun.

So after weeks of getting organized, I headed down to Sunny, at Airboy Tuning, in Calgary, Alberta after work. While he tunes mostly Subarus, he has been tuning a few Evo's, Audi's and a couple of Infiniti's as well. He recently took his skills to the next level and purchased Calgary's first Dyno Dynamics dyno, a very "tough" one. Before his dyno, the closest AWD one was located about an hour and a half(going the speed limit ) away in Red Deer.

His shop and dyno are extremely clean, I rinsed my car off before I got there, but with there was still tons of snow on the back roads, my car was not fit to go inside his garage at this point. He spent a lot of time clearing off gravel and snow from the car so that his shop and dyno would not get dirty, which impressed me right off the bat. If he takes this much care with each customer, I knew I'd be in good hands tonight. Everything he needed was well organized and setup with maximum efficiency in mind.

Now on to the fun stuff. Tonight would not be that exciting in terms of numbers, since the car has just barely 4000KM, and I haven't been sourcing/installing the parts I want just yet. But we would eventually get some stock numbers from a couple of pulls, and then install the boost pill + V2.5 map flash. He ended up tweaking the GST map a little more, as the waste-gate was dipping low. He then ran a few more pulls and then is what we eventually came up with.

Eyeballing the graph, I gained about 50 ft/lb torque and 26.6 hp, peak, from flashing the car. Also, the extra $20 bucks he charged me to update the wastegate curve was definitely worth it. I was able to gain roughly 10 ft/lb torque, gained more "usable" torque and hp as well. There was some great gains from flashing to the V2.5 map. I haven't had a chance to drive the car too hard, but it is a lot smoother from 3,000 to 5,000 rpm. Pulls great, and hopefully I'll gain some MPG as well. Shifts are great, and also no issues starting my car. No CEL's either. *knocks on wood*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro4Pe3MWuGU

I will definitely return to Airboy Tuning, after some parts get upgraded. His pricing was great too. I believe I got in on a special deal, but the quality of his work and attention to detail was beyond anything I could imagine. Definitely recommended. Anyone near Calgary, AB with a Ralliart should go and get their car flashed if they haven't done so already. You won't regret it.

Again, thanks to Brian for the GST map. He made this possible with his hard work. Also to Sunny, for spending that extra time with me. I know he didn't make much off me this time, but there will be more chances to in the future.

Last edited by npham455; Feb 2, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Thanks for the great before and after data npham455. It looks like that dyno reads pretty close to the GST Mustang. Good to see.

Great gains. What year RA?

Do you know what the ambient temp was?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
Thanks for the great before and after data npham455. It looks like that dyno reads pretty close to the GST Mustang. Good to see.

2011 and I can't remember. It was definitely a bit chilly. Airboy/Sunny might have that logged. I don't remember if it was calibrated for elevation, temp, etc. I'm sure he will post soon.

We were wondering if your map is targeting 22 PSI? Thanks again.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by razorlab

weather station and IAT probe at inlet recorded mid-high 40's and atmospheric pressure is ~13psi
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thx for the info npham455/Airboy. Good to see some data with baselines for v2.5
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

npham455,
From the little experimenting I've been doing on my own:
Have them pull some fuel and work on the WGDC Error Correction. For me this resulted in the torque curve flattening out all the way to 6000, then a slight drop off; which in turn resulted in the hp curve continuing to climb all the way to redline (~7000)
Nice work!
EDIT:
What gear were those pulls in?

Last edited by sstevojr; Feb 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
npham455,

What gear were those pulls in?
It was done it 4th. npham455 wanted to leave additional tuning for later, when he gets additional parts.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
For me this resulted in the torque curve flattening out all the way to 6000, then a slight drop off; which in turn resulted in the hp curve continuing to climb all the way to redline (~7000)
Sooo, you're saying that you have little or no drop-off on the torque AND horsepower curves at higher RPM's with the STOCK turbo??? This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone being able to pull this off. Has anybody else ever heard of this being possible on our little OEM turbo? Do you have any graphs you can share with us showing your results?

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap