Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by razorlab
All 2011 BaseMaps updated on first page. Thanks Rich!
High-five!

Team SST in da house...

etc. etc.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Feb 12, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stevendjen
With it being that cold yes. I started it. Got some things done then got in. Put my cd in, plugged my phone in then went. It sat in the garage for about 10 min before I got in. I only jumped in and took off once but that was to test something. Please note this was also near the end of my drive to work. It's about a 15 min drive(city). I also only drive in Manual sport. No auto.
Please note that it's been stated in this thread and in other locations on EvoM that letting the car idle to warm up does nothing for warming up the transmission. This is because the gears aren't moving and therefor the friction of the gears meshing and the bearings turning aren't creating heat.

Also note, that it's been stated several times that it takes a LONG time ~driving~ to warm up the transmission. Rich has noted that it takes approximately 20 minutes for the transmission to reach full temp in environments where the cold is mild in comparison to what you've mentioned.

Personally, I start driving my car within 3 minutes of starting it, and i don't give it the beans until I've gone about 3 miles at 25 to 45 mph.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't matter if it's turbo'ed or not, twin clutch transmission or not, letting any car warm up in cold weather is beneficial regardless. No, the transmission isn't warming up yet but at least the engine has a head start and can take it easy until all systems are go. Starting it and just going is bad, period.

Anyway, off topic and I apologize.

Rich, have all of the 2011 V2.7 maps been updated or just those certain boost pill versions? I'd like to test an updated non-pill version if possible.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
All 2011's are updated
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Just so we're totally clear on this...

If you have previously downloaded and flashed a 2011 v27.017 Base Map, please visit the first post of this thread, download the correct ROM version for your Ralliart and reflash your ECU. The updated 2011 Base Maps have a version number v27.018.

This update delivers improved SST shifting behaviour and more responsive throttle for 2011 ROMs.

Note: The 2009 and 2010 Base Map ROMs are untouched - they are still the same version (v27.017). No need to do anything unless you use a 2011 Base Map.

Cheers! Enjoy!

Rich
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think nunyas was disputing warming your engine, I think he was referring to the mis-impression that the SST will also get into operating temps by idling.
For me I let the car idle for 2-3 mins to get the oil to temp, then cruise in 2nd-4th from 1.5 to 3k rpms to get my valves warmed up; I use rather...aggressive MIVEC set-ups, and don't make my cold maps all that different, just slightly lower upper values. Then I do normal-to-spirited accelerating/decelerating using 4k as a soft upper limit, to get the SST feeling all cozzy. Through this 10-15 min process my suspension lets me know it's warming up as well (she quiets down, I keep that b!tch reaaallll tight, wink). Then I'm good for what ever bus-full of run-away nuns come my way (hats off to Rich)!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by richardjh
Just so we're totally clear on this...

If you have previously downloaded and flashed a 2011 v27.017 Base Map, please visit the first post of this thread, download the correct ROM version for your Ralliart and reflash your ECU. The updated 2011 Base Maps have a version number v27.018.

This update delivers improved SST shifting behaviour and more responsive throttle for 2011 ROMs.

Note: The 2009 and 2010 Base Map ROMs are untouched - they are still the same version (v27.017). No need to do anything unless you use a 2011 Base Map.

Cheers! Enjoy!

Rich
Thanks Bryan and Rich, you guys are the best. I'll flash the updated version this evening and let you guys know if there are any issues.

In all honesty, without you guys putting so much time and effort (and money quite possibly) into these basemaps, the Ralliart would be dull and boring. Much appreciated!
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by nunyas
Please note that it's been stated in this thread and in other locations on EvoM that letting the car idle to warm up does nothing for warming up the transmission. This is because the gears aren't moving and therefor the friction of the gears meshing and the bearings turning aren't creating heat.

Also note, that it's been stated several times that it takes a LONG time ~driving~ to warm up the transmission. Rich has noted that it takes approximately 20 minutes for the transmission to reach full temp in environments where the cold is mild in comparison to what you've mentioned.

Personally, I start driving my car within 3 minutes of starting it, and i don't give it the beans until I've gone about 3 miles at 25 to 45 mph.
I don't think i said that letting it idle was warming the trans. But what I did say I let it sit to warm up for a bit then drive to work. And I don't just hall as once I get on the road. Now if my driving habbits are in question then here. First gear 3 to 4k the. Shift. This is done in every gear. When I reach the speed I want I choose the best gear I feel is right. So your looking at a 15 min drive like that. Will I heat the tranny up. I'd hope so. Is it going to be great. Prob not considering nothing I do is perfect. Not everyone can drive for 20 to 30 min to work unless I wanna do laps around the department. Don't think my sgt would be happy with that.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Not everyone can drive for 20 to 30 min to work unless I wanna do laps around the department. Don't think my sgt would be happy with that.
I just had an awesome visual, of you yelling out the window "I'll be there in 10 Sarge, tranny is almost warmed up"
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I just had an awesome visual, of you yelling out the window "I'll be there in 10 Sarge, tranny is almost warmed up"
Trust me. If I could get away with it. I would! But he's already out for me. Got his daughter and her boyfriend for a DUI a few days ago.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

Flashed to the revised 2011 map and went for a quick test drive. Gear change delay appears to be fixed. I'm still getting quite a bit of slippage/rev hang when going 1>2 that's not present there with OEM or Cobb tunes. Also, it seems like there is much more clutch slip when taking off from a stop. I'll be taking the car out for an extended drive in the afternoon.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
I don't think nunyas was disputing warming your engine, I think he was referring to the mis-impression that the SST will also get into operating temps by idling.
For me I let the car idle for 2-3 mins to get the oil to temp, then cruise in 2nd-4th from 1.5 to 3k rpms to get my valves warmed up; I use rather...aggressive MIVEC set-ups, and don't make my cold maps all that different, just slightly lower upper values. Then I do normal-to-spirited accelerating/decelerating using 4k as a soft upper limit, to get the SST feeling all cozzy. Through this 10-15 min process my suspension lets me know it's warming up as well (she quiets down, I keep that b!tch reaaallll tight, wink). Then I'm good for what ever bus-full of run-away nuns come my way (hats off to Rich)!
^^^^^this is exactly what i was getting at.

Originally Posted by Stevendjen
I don't think i said that letting it idle was warming the trans. But what I did say I let it sit to warm up for a bit then drive to work. And I don't just hall as once I get on the road. Now if my driving habbits are in question then here. First gear 3 to 4k the. Shift. This is done in every gear. When I reach the speed I want I choose the best gear I feel is right. So your looking at a 15 min drive like that. Will I heat the tranny up. I'd hope so. Is it going to be great. Prob not considering nothing I do is perfect. Not everyone can drive for 20 to 30 min to work unless I wanna do laps around the department. Don't think my sgt would be happy with that.
I was just clarifying that the transmission wasn't getting to full operational temperature. When the transmission isn't up to full operational temp, it will shift sluggish and/or jerkily at times.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plastus
Flashed to the revised 2011 map and went for a quick test drive. Gear change delay appears to be fixed.
Awesome! That's consistent with the findings from other testers.

Originally Posted by plastus
I'm still getting quite a bit of slippage/rev hang when going 1>2 that's not present there with OEM or Cobb tunes. Also, it seems like there is much more clutch slip when taking off from a stop.
I'm not surprised by the the standing-start impression. The 2011 SST-throttle tuning seems deliberately set up to do this - it's different from 2009 and 2010. I'm not an expert here, but I'd say it was a totally intentional change from Mitsu. Whether it feels better or worse to us.... well, that's the question, isn't it?

Would you folks like a couple of "alternate" approaches to test out? I'd be more than happy to keep working on this area - with the 2011 ROM. Until now, most of the SST Ralliart "r&d" testing has occurred on earlier models. I can put together a set of test '11 ROMs with SST/throttle tune variations - nothing I haven't already tried on my 2009 - and you can see which one you like best!

Sound like a plan?

Rich
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
I'm not surprised by the the standing-start impression. The 2011 SST-throttle tuning seems deliberately set up to do this - it's different from 2009 and 2010. I'm not an expert here, but I'd say it was a totally intentional change from Mitsu. Whether it feels better or worse to us.... well, that's the question, isn't it?

Would you folks like a couple of "alternate" approaches to test out? I'd be more than happy to keep working on this area - with the 2011 ROM. Until now, most of the SST Ralliart "r&d" testing has occurred on earlier models. I can put together a set of test '11 ROMs with SST/throttle tune variations - nothing I haven't already tried on my 2009 - and you can see which one you like best!

Sound like a plan?

Rich

I'm up for that. I've also noticed my 2011 seems to open the clutches a lot easier launching using any method than a 2010 I test drove the other day. Not sure if it's just my car or all 2011s.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be open to testing any alternative approaches. I drove a bit more on the .18 revision and at anything more than 40% throttle, the switch from 1>2 experiences the rev increase/hang. Other gear changes seems to be fine, even under heavy throttle but they appear a little soft compared to stock or Cobb. Driving around town is fine; smooth quick shifts with maybe a little delay sporadically but overall very good.

I remember trying out a 2.5 map way back that had really sharp/strong shifts which I honestly preferred (not sure if that's healthy for the transmission/car). The stock tune seems to really have the best transmission behavior imo; in sport mode at WOT you feel the little kickback while the car quickly and forcefully slips into a new gear with no weird rpm float.

I appreciate your help and contributions. Let me know if you'd like me to test any beta maps.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap