Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Can you be (a lot) more descriptive about the "really odd type of sound from the engine bay"?

Does it occur just at the point of shifting into 6th? Or does it occur once you're in 6th?

What, exactly, does it sound like? And if you say a load of ball-bearings bouncing furiously around inside a steel can, I'm deleting all "works_2" test ROMs immediately.

At what RPM/speed? At what throttle?

In normal/auto on "works_2", is it labouring in 6th at a lower rpm that it "should" be?

And the all-important question: Do you have logs?

Cheers,

Rich
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rpm was under 2k. And it was just when it first shift into it the it stops. It sounded kinda like a grind or rub. No logs. But once your in the gear it's fine. And this was in a totally warm car. Took it to the store. A nice drive on the highway with work1 normal auto sport auto everything. Then went home. Put work2 and did the same. Even went on my special road in the middle of know where. Butt dyno stupid happy but on the way back. Auto norm it did that and I was like ok back to manual. Stopped and tried it again in manual and nothing. Then auto and it did it again. So it's a auto normal issue. It is kinda unnerving
Old Feb 15, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Great feedback, thanks! So...
  • You're on stockpill.
  • You have tried works #1 and #2.
  • Works #2 has weird engagement into 6th at low rpm, and presumably light/no throttle. Issue in "Auto" mode only (so far).
Were shifts 1->2 still sharp once well warmed up?

How about other upshifts?

Was the tyre-chirping from standing start?

Is throttle feel different between works #1 and #2?

Cheers,

Rich

edit: If you normally drive in "manual" mode, try really hard to reproduce the 6th gear "auto" issue on Works #1. I know my 6th gear sounds horrid and labouring in normal/auto, and I hate using it like that. But it doesn't rub/graunch/complain going into gear on mine... so I'm definitely keeping that issue of yours on the radar.

Last edited by richardjh; Feb 15, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:01 AM

I'll do a lot more running today afterwork. I'm off Tommorow so I'll even do more then. Work2 the shifts were super sharp. Very light jerk type shifts like its letting go then grabbing like it owes it money. That's in every gear. No lag at all. Mind you that's work2. The tire chirp was from a stand still. Red light rip. the throttle seems to be a lot more sensitive in work2 like a light tap and it gets up. No lag that I can tell. The shifts in work1 were like butter when warm. Super soft but quick. When I'm on my way home I'll see if I can get video of that sound or something. But I'll also try to get it to do that in work1.

Your bullet points are correct.
Light throttle input shift to 6th in auto norm give a rub/grind sound.

Last edited by Stevendjen; Feb 15, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:06 AM

Just loaded works#1 and went on a good test drive. Noticed that downshifting into 2nd and sometimes 3rd when coming to a stop sometimes made a clunk noise, i used to here it on my stock tune when going jnto 1st. Also shifting from 1st to 2nd varied, sometimes it would shift good and quick, and once or twice noticed a little lag. Gonna give some more time on the way to work, and I will try out wotks #2 tomorrow.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
down from 3rd to 2nd when breaking always feels weird i noticed, even on stock basemap.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always noticed the 3-2 downshift being a little harsh, on all of the ROMs including stock. Just the behavior of the transmission I guess.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

The only change from Works #1 to Works #2 was the change from 2011 style SST throttle maps to 2009/2010 style.

This seems to have sharpened things up... but with an odd (and rather unpalatable sounding) roughness when upshifting to 6th at light throttle.

It's early days, and that's only on one car... but I'm not keen on dodgy noises in $10,000 transmissions. Yes, call me crazy...

So I've revised things and blended the two styles of SST throttle map. The result is:

2011 v27.018 "Works #3" ROMs

Changes:
An equal blend of the Works #1 and Works #2 SST throttle maps.

History: Created in response to a repeatable rough-sounding upshift into 6th on one test vehicle using Works #2 ROM.

Continued in next post...

Rich
Old Feb 15, 2012, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

And more...

Rich
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Stevendjen
Rpm was under 2k. And it was just when it first shift into it the it stops. It sounded kinda like a grind or rub. No logs. But once your in the gear it's fine. And this was in a totally warm car. Took it to the store. A nice drive on the highway with work1 normal auto sport auto everything. Then went home. Put work2 and did the same. Even went on my special road in the middle of know where. Butt dyno stupid happy but on the way back. Auto norm it did that and I was like ok back to manual. Stopped and tried it again in manual and nothing. Then auto and it did it again. So it's a auto normal issue. It is kinda unnerving
Okay, I've heard it!

And I realise now that I've heard it before - occasionally using NORMAL/AUTO mode for stuff like basemap testing. Funny.

What I'm hearing is a low, brief vibration as it shifts from 5th to 6th, as soon as it gets into 6th. It has to be very light throttle, low RPM. I've previously put it down to the SST saying, "My shift patterns have been designed by an idiot".

Not sure what it is. Bear in mind, I'm no mechanic, and I haven't ever seen the inside of an SST. If I had to guess, I'd say it's a harmonic vibration as the gear engages, causing either loud clutch rattle or simply Rattly Lancer Panel Noise... as I swear one time I caused it I could hear some of the noise coming from the left-hand door.

I've always wanted to apply new shift patterns to the RA "auto" mode, as right now I just don't want to use it - because of vibrations like this.

So you say it's there on "Works #2", but not evident on "Works #1"? Cool.

I'll switch between "Works #2" and "#3" settings now, to see if it moderates that vibration into 6th.

Rich
Old Feb 15, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Here you go - see attached.

You must see posts Works #1 and Works #2 to understand why they are here, what they are supposed to do, etc.

Rich

Going to flash now. I'll let you know. And Ill try #3 too.

Last edited by EyeDreamt; Feb 15, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:43 PM

Ok. So I was unable to reproduce the sound in work1. I tried everything I could think of. Stone cold run auto norm. Manual norm. Uphill downhill. There was nothing I could do to get it to do it in that map. So I switched back to work2 after this and had my wife run to the store with it. While I just sat in the passenger seat. This time the shift to 6th was better with no odd sound. Then I drove home and it only happens when shifting into 6th with almost no throttle and low rpm. If you keep the rpm higher it doesnt do it. So far out of all the maps work2 feels the best as far as performance and shifting both. Have not tried this new revised work3 yet.

You explained it perfectly. A vibration.

Last edited by Stevendjen; Feb 15, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yep, I've now made that sound happen many times... and my SST hasn't spontaneously combusted yet.

Unfortunately, I was still able to make Da Noize happen using "works #3" style tables. So those won't eliminate it.

It is pretty interesting that you couldn't make it happen using "Works #1". I'll go give those a try. We could well have discovered why Mitsubishi switched SST throttle config in 2011 ROMs... perhaps in response to customer complaints about Da Noize!

I'm going to experiment a bit with this. See if I can isolate the offending map area (1500-2000rpm, light throttle), and preserve 2011 (works #1) style there... but take my cues from 2009/2010 (works #2) style elsewhere... as the latter definitely has a bit more oomph!

As a refresher...

Works #1 has the mild-mannered 2011 style SST throttle setup.

Works #2 has the rough, tough, MANLY 2009/2010 style SST throttle setup. More sporty... but it grumbles at you in 6th at 1500rpm if you use poncey NORMAL/AUTO.

Okay, okay, there may be some subtle personal value judgements creeping in there.

Works #3 was a (failed) attempt to breed the above two and get something that didn't grumble in NORMAL/AUTO 6th at 1500rpm. But it still grumbles.

Cheers,

Rich
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You 2009 and 2010 guys are lucky. Damn 2011's... lol.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:49 AM

We should just have a super tune. The most aggressive possible. Forget the vibration. We all drive in manual anyways. As long as its not killing anything it should be ok. I'm still using work2. So far it's to my liking. Unless a ill kick your as tune I think I'll stay with the work2. Best shifts and feel out of the 2.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap