Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rich, got a chance to test out Balance 17.

I didn't do any WOT pulls but the shifting and throttle response are fantastic. The "jerking" from balance 15 during shifting is gone, yet it's quicker. Best one so far!
Old Apr 2, 2012, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reflashed to beta #17 and, the car drives a lot more smooth in lower gears. I'll be able to test how the car drives in slower+crawl speed traffic conditions on Thursday. I should be able to test how the car feels at peek boost after work. So far, amazing work and more balanced then the original V2.7.

We love you Richard for putting the effort into this beta.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,050 Likes on 763 Posts
Any 2012 EDM owners yet?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 11:28 AM

Flashed balance 17 this morning before the commute to work. Once it got to operating temps I managed a couple of 3rd gear pulls. No laptop with so haven't checked logs yet. However, I did have that weird "ghost shift" issue again while trying to pull into work. I was stopped on a hill and went from break to gas to turn in. The tack hit over 5000 rpm without moving the car. I was in "normal" drive mode. Should I be concerned?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by csmithcfg
Flashed balance 17 this morning before the commute to work. Once it got to operating temps I managed a couple of 3rd gear pulls. No laptop with so haven't checked logs yet. However, I did have that weird "ghost shift" issue again while trying to pull into work. I was stopped on a hill and went from break to gas to turn in. The tack hit over 5000 rpm without moving the car. I was in "normal" drive mode. Should I be concerned?
Try it in Sport mode.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by csmithcfg
How much throttle did you apply? Lots?

Does yours have that hill-start-assist thing? Mine doesn't... but I wouldn't expect it to rev to 5000rpm from a standing start. That sounds pretty odd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ghost shift" here - was it shifting, or hill-starting?

Rich
Old Apr 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
How much throttle did you apply? Lots?

Does yours have that hill-start-assist thing? Mine doesn't... but I wouldn't expect it to rev to 5000rpm from a standing start. That sounds pretty odd.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ghost shift" here - was it shifting, or hill-starting?

Rich
sounds an awful like... launch control!!! this should be investigated to the fullest lol
Old Apr 4, 2012, 06:37 PM

Yes, it has the hill assist. I was sitting on a hill waiting to make a left turn across traffic and when I got my hole I punched the acclerator. The tack revved to above 5000rpm without the car moving. The transmission was in D1 but behaved like it was in neutral. I checked for DTC's when I got home but there weren't any. This is the second time this has happened to me in that same location and scenario. I originally thought it was the transmission having issues deciding what gear it needed to be in. However, this time it was from a dead stop.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

So... lots of throttle, stationary, up a hill.

Wow, I don't really know which way to run with this one! I have all these conflicting thoughts in my head, like...

- I want your transmission.
- Is it an SST fault?
- Would it act like this on stock tune?
- Is it hillstart plus quick throttle, ie. do all hillstart versions do this?
- Does it do this on level ground?
- Did it do this on prior Base Map versions?

When I am waiting for a break in traffic and suddenly go WOT, my RA revs to a blistering 2500rpm (woo hoo ) then engages the clutch.

It used to take about 2 seconds to get going, which is exactly the right amount of time in order to kill you in a giant t-bone accident.

With the balance tune, I went aggressive as all heck on the WOT throttle-torque settings (including low-rpm WOT), and got the Pregnant Pause of Death down to 1 second... which is a whole lot better, and less likely to kill you.

I'm sorry, but talk of a Ralliart that revs to 5000rpm on a WOT standing start will start a stampede if we're not careful.

Or a lynch mob if I ask, "so do you want me to see if it's tune-related, and tune it out?"

I suggest the next step should be independent confirmation from another owner with the same RA, same Base Map tune as you.

Can you guys possibly join the dots and see if you can reproduce this on a second vehicle? If it's impossible to reproduce, it could be down to that one transmission "acting funny".

Rich
Old Apr 5, 2012, 05:47 AM
Evolving Member

I had the 5k rpm hang while stopped in D1 happen this morning.
Flat ground.
Tranny was warm. 45 min of freeway racing prior.
Funny...I'm still on v2.5
No idea about this hill assist thing of which y'all write.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Alterna, what year Ralliart are you driving?

Rich
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:06 AM

HSA (Hill Start Assist)
This system prevents vehicles rolling backwards and makes hill starts easier by holding the braking force during the time when the driver is moving his/her foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal in order to start the vehicle on a steep road.
When the system determines that the vehicle is stopped on a steep road from the information of various sensors and the ECUs, the system will hold the braking force after the driver releases the brake pedal until the driver depress the accelerator pedal (for a maximum of two seconds). The system will reduce the braking force in accordance with the operation of the accelerator by the driver and the engine torque that is generated.
● HSA also functions when the vehicle is reversing up a steep road.

I don't believe my issue was with the hill start assist based on this description. Unless the tranny slips itself into neutral while the breaks are holding. Unfortunately, it is also not a form of launch control as it did not launch until rpm's dropped back into a respectable range for the gear to engage.

I will log with my laptop today and try to duplicate the situation. If I get it I will post all of the csv's from today so our super guru's can break it down.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Please do.

Here's what my 2009 looks like when I suddenly go WOT from stationary...

Revs come up to 2750rpm, at which point the clutch engages. Clutch grips progressively more, until it is no longer slipping at all... 4250rpm here.

I've never had a situation in which it free-revs. I'd have to hold brake and repeatedly tap the accelerator pedal to get it up to 5000rpm.

A few more quick questions, csmithcfg and Alterna... what's your approx. mileage, and have you ever had an SST fluid change done?

Rich
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap-2012.04.05_wot_standing.png  
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Alterna, what year Ralliart are you driving?

Rich

I concur. It won't engage 1st until you let off the accelerator and let the rpm drop.

It has no rhyme or reason to when it occurs either. Come to think, it is quite similar to those times when you put it into reverse only to have rpm's climb with the "R" flashing and no movement.
Old Apr 5, 2012, 07:26 AM

I have just over 11000 miles currently. The only maintenance has been according to the factory/dealer maintenance schedule.

Also, I did not get a repeat episode this morning and didn't notice anything strange on the drive in.

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap