Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2012, 06:15 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh
That knock occurred at load 60-70 (with throttle angle 28 degrees), at 1800rpm.

We saw this exact same thing in a couple of your previous logs. I've forwarded them all to Bryan for review - he may decide it's worth retarding timing by a hair in that region of the map.

It's nothing to be scared about. You weren't in boost or anything. My personal ROM's patched "KnockCEL" warning wouldn't even get out of bed for this - I have it set up so it flashes the engine light thing if it sees knock only if load is over 120. I have thought of reducing this a bit... but certainly wouldn't go as low as 70!

Still, it's very good to log 24/7 and review the files - it means you find this sort of thing and investigate it.

Rich
My email keeps getting hacked so not sure when I can take a look at this. Hopefully tomorrow!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by richardjh

Still, it's very good to log 24/7 and review the files - it means you find this sort of thing and investigate it.

Rich
Just following the expert's advice!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:09 AM

I's it possible in one of the updates to make it possible to use Cruise Control in Sport Mode?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Rich, I think my car likes your balance 17 better.

Checked the logs recently after switching back from balance 18 and found up to 2 knocksums...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spekil
Rich, I think my car likes your balance 17 better.

Checked the logs recently after switching back from balance 18 and found up to 2 knocksums...
lol, sorry, but it's nothing to do with changing tunes. It's purely environmental - temp, usage, luck, fuel, sunspot activity, etc. etc.

If you load up these two maps in EcuFlash and compare them...

2009_RA_USDM_BaseMap_BoostPILL_TBE_91oct_V27.019_b alance_17.hex
2009_RA_USDM_BaseMap_BoostPILL_TBE_91oct_V27.021_b alance_18.hex

The difference is down to a couple of cells in two SST maps... related to torque ramp rate in 1st gear at low speed.

There's absolutely no change to anything that would cause more or less knock at low load around 1500-2000rpm. You won't asplode anything on either #17 or #18.

Rich
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

While I'm thinking of it, a note to all the awesome beta testers...

Try not to get too attached to any "beta" version ROM. They are throwaway items - tools designed to get us from A to B.

For the "Balance" project, it's important to realise that SST testing is quite a challenge. That transmission isn't all that consistent - different clutch temp/wear, and different fluid temp/age tend to have a significant impact on how the upshifts and downshifts play out.

The "Balance #18" map we've ended up with is, I reckon, an excellent middle ground tune that will work across the full spectrum of operating temperatures (both for clutches and fluid). It will also acquit itself well on both new and not-so-new SST units... and/or SST fluid quality.

The older trial versions all had something that didn't work quite right somewhere... which was why X, Y or Z change was made to later versions.

So... once the new version of the mighty Base Map ROM set comes out, I recommend you kiss the old beta stuff goodbye, and move forward to the latest version...

...once it's released, that is!

Rich
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:57 AM

Is there any way to increase SST line pressure? I know that running in sport mode is better for the transmission clutch wise but if we(y'all) could have the SST set up the same pressures for normal, automatic drivers could get the same comfy, mpg saving, shift points.

On the fun side, is it possible to strengthen the shifts so it feels like I'm being thrown to the back seat? Without doing damage to the SST?
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by csmithcfg
Is there any way to increase SST line pressure? I know that running in sport mode is better for the transmission clutch wise but if we(y'all) could have the SST set up the same pressures for normal, automatic drivers could get the same comfy, mpg saving, shift points.

On the fun side, is it possible to strengthen the shifts so it feels like I'm being thrown to the back seat? Without doing damage to the SST?
That would require an instance of no acceleration to acceleration (slow shift) which would be the opposite of the reason why we have an sst in the first place. Or am I misguided, again..
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:58 PM

I like the SST because I have grown to dislike a manual transmission when dealing with city traffic. Also, it is waaaaay better than a CVT, to me, because it always felt like it was just bleeding power under acceleration. I actually like/enjoy feeling when a transmission hits the gear and pulls. You can feel that in the SST in sport mode and I feel it was designed that way by Mitsubishi to protect it. Ideally I think normal and sport should be exactly the same pressure wise, just different shift points better suit the current driving conditions.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

The thing is, there are Base Map users who want the exact opposite - sport/auto mode that retains the HIGH shift points, but WITHOUT the kick-back of a firm upshift.

Also, the stuff you want to revise here is inside the TCU... as yet, we don't have access to that area.

Rich
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Conway_160
I's it possible in one of the updates to make it possible to use Cruise Control in Sport Mode?
This is a winner for oxymoron quote of the week
It's hardwired from Mitsu that way (maybe there is a patch somewhere, who knows), but why would you want Cruise Control in Sport? The two are completely opposite; Cruise Control is for vegetative long freeway drives allowing for fuel conservation and a mellow, quiet ride. Sport is everything else
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

I wanted this, back when NORMAL mode was slippy/sloppy for WOT upshifts... As I "had" to drive in SPORT all the time. These days, the Balance beta tune is serving up good, firm upshifts in NORMAL mode, and I find myself in that mode most of the time.

Still, I found myself wondering if an ECU tweak could remove the restriction... and whether it would be a good idea to try. I reckon the combination of high AUTO SPORT shift points and cruise control would be pretty bad, to be honest - possibly why it's specifically disabled...

Rich
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:24 PM

I was just curious, i dont really use Cruise Control but it would be nice to not have to go from sport for messing off to norm to just cruise then get froggy and have to go back to Sport. Also what makes the evo x have S-Sport and ralliarts only have Sport, and is it possible to put S-Sport on Ralliart???
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Conway_160
I was just curious, i dont really use Cruise Control but it would be nice to not have to go from sport for messing off to norm to just cruise then get froggy and have to go back to Sport. Also what makes the evo x have S-Sport and ralliarts only have Sport, and is it possible to put S-Sport on Ralliart???
It's the TCM's software differences...
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:38 PM

So once they able to crack the TCM we will be able to get S-Sport?

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap