Notices

2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi is NOT going to recommend anything in regards to modding your car.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, best not to get involved in discussions about ECU modifications with the dealer.

I always revert to stock ROM before dealer servicing... mostly to avoid exploding their brains.

[edit]...

Here's worst case: You flash your brand new car's ECU. The next day, a from-factory fault rears its ugly head, and your car stops dead by the side of the road. It gets towed back to the dealer. Warranty assessment begins. Mitsubishi warranty person sees that ECU is reflashed. The dealer sales force who were so brilliant and helpful before now seem a lot less helpful. Big messy situation occurs, stressing everyone out - especially you!

Best to give your new toy a good shakedown first.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Jul 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by richardjh
Yeah, best not to get involved in discussions about ECU modifications with the dealer.

I always revert to stock ROM before dealer servicing... mostly to avoid exploding their brains.

[edit]...

Here's worst case: You flash your brand new car's ECU. The next day, a from-factory fault rears its ugly head, and your car stops dead by the side of the road. It gets towed back to the dealer. Warranty assessment begins. Mitsubishi warranty person sees that ECU is reflashed. The dealer sales force who were so brilliant and helpful before now seem a lot less helpful. Big messy situation occurs, stressing everyone out - especially you!

Best to give your new toy a good shakedown first.

Rich
I agree its best to avoid any and all headaches. But nowhere did I say I was talking to my dealer about reflashing the Ecu or Modding my car. I said I didn't even trust them to give me the right answer on a STANDARD break in period. Which is a normal question and is pertinent even if not Modding the car. Wanna know a fun fact? Volkswagen let's you know what the break in period is when you buy a new car :/
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

Gotcha. I misunderstood when you said you "would have asked the dealership".

My understanding is that modern engines come "broken in" from factory - it's a process that's been done prior to shipment. Cars no longer come with "special" oil and super-strict instructions on how to drive it.

Rich
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:48 PM

Gotcha. I misunderstood when you said you "would have asked the dealership".

My understanding is that modern engines come "broken in" from factory - it's a process that's been done prior to shipment. Cars no longer come with "special" oil and super-strict instructions on how to drive it.

Rich
No problem... so many things get lost in translation on the internets. But, my friends rabbit, that he got new a few years ago, had break in time for specific parts . Not sure on the specifics but it was the dealer who told him this. But regardless, like you're recommending, ill give it a couple k miles first. I had to sell my Audi TT 225 a few years back and I've been driving a Saturn vue ever since.. I'd cry if I only got to enjoy this car for a week. .
Old Jul 18, 2012, 01:27 AM
Evolving Member

ok guys, gonna install the evo ix bpv, need longer vacuum hose, does anyone know what size? Also gonna rip that hose where the boost pill is.. is the hose same size? Can't wait to flash to v30
Old Jul 18, 2012, 02:37 AM
Evolved Member

I can't recall much about the BOV hose, except that it was pretty easy to source.

The boost restrictor pill hose took a bit longer to find the right supplier. In the end, it exactly matched what the shop classified as "fuel line". Go figure!

Rich
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by jtanda430
I'm more than willing to wait a little while, a day of driving and a little more than half a tank of gas and I'm at 200 miles. I know rich said wait until my first oil change as a guide but is there an actual recommendation from Mitsubishi? ? I would have asked at the dealership but my salesman was an old man and the tech there had a fit of confusion when he realized there was nowhere to mount my front license plate... and took him near a half hour to figure out a drill and screws would solve his problem. So I got the hell out of there ASAP.
In my manual it states the break-in period is 5000 km I think.. but for sure it's in there.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:10 AM

You mean there's a noticeable improvement in your logs?

Rich
Knocksum log seems to be improved a lot no more random 1 knocks at mid rpms
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by mikeszutu
In my manual it states the break-in period is 5000 km I think.. but for sure it's in there.
Thank you very much!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:19 AM

I installed an Evo ix BOV a few weeks back. I took the Evo ix BOV to auto zone (I'm sure any auto parts store could help) and had them test fit a few different hoses. I bought a 2 foot section (You wont need it all but just in case) and it cost less than $3
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by buddy712
I installed an Evo ix BOV a few weeks back. I took the Evo ix BOV to auto zone (I'm sure any auto parts store could help) and had them test fit a few different hoses. I bought a 2 foot section (You wont need it all but just in case) and it cost less than $3
Thanks for this post. Got a 9 bpv in the mail
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

i've went from stock pill to boost pill and i'm getting knocksum 1 and 2 around 1200rpm and load 60.. is this ok or am i just worrying for nothing?
According to virtual dyno, i am able to hit peak boost at 21 22 psi, but seems to hang around 20psi all the way...
any word of wisdom would be appreciate .... i'm a real noob at this...
Old Jul 20, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tencents
i've went from stock pill to boost pill and i'm getting knocksum 1 and 2 around 1200rpm and load 60.. is this ok or am i just worrying for nothing?
Don't worry - you can ignore knocksum of 1 or 2 even at peak boost.

And at 1200rpm / load 60, most people end up ignoring much higher knocksums! The stock tune knocks badly down there, and the poor NORMAL/AUTO shift patterns don't help (if you use that stuff).

Stock tune knocks badly down low, light load. At low loads, knock is not perceived as a high severity issue. I still don't like seeing it, though. OCD perfectionists are never happy, lol.

Originally Posted by tencents
According to virtual dyno, i am able to hit peak boost at 21 22 psi, but seems to hang around 20psi all the way...
any word of wisdom would be appreciate .... i'm a real noob at this...
That sounds fine!

Rich
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks Rich, You're the best. I'm still learning all this stuff, it's like learning a foreign language lol. I feel relived now

Quick Reply: 2009 Lancer Ralliart - GST Basemap